Cherbourg - Perpignan - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-22-2014, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Cherbourg - Perpignan

Looking for a little bit of advice here from anyone familiar with good French driving roads, on the west coast general area.

We will be travelling from Cherbourg - Perpignan over 3 days in 2 F cars. As a straight run its c. 1,200km and a 9-10 hour drive. But that's exactly what I am trying to avoid. So what I'm trying to find is a nice route, with not too much motorway and which would give us plenty to look at and be interesting for a couple of F cars to travel. Given that we'll be looking at 400-500km per day a little bit of motorway is acceptable.

Any suggestions for places to stay, stops on route etc (towns, villages etc) outside of cities would be great too.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-22-2014, 01:02 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Barry, geeez, thought you were after some kind of champagne or something there !

Safe and happy touring ! Lucky you. :steering wheel:

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #3 of 8 Old 04-22-2014, 06:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
I'd take in the Millau bridge, that is really fantastic and practically on your route, a couple hours north of Perpignan. The drive there on the D993 was really cool. Also on that route (practically) is the village of Rocamadour. In that region are really great driving roads. Basically you can't go wrong in the area marked by Toulouse, Montpellier, Limoges and Clermont-Ferrand.

Maybe a bit far to the east for this trip is the Dijon region, that is really nice. The town of Flavigny-Sur-Ozerain starred in the movie Chocolat, well worth a visit. Close by is Semur-en-Auxois, also very nice, and the former site of Alesia, where Julius Caesar defeated the Gauls. My favorite hotel of all time (just about) is L'Abbaye de la Bussiere, near Dijon. Just fantastic, and not too expensive considering what is on offer.

Closer to the Contentin peninsula (Cherbourg), the landing sites of WWII are well worth a visit if you have time, so is Mont St. Michel (really very cool), and the fortified former pirate town of St. Malo.

Frankly speaking the land of the Franks is just full of wonderfulness. If you stay off the Autoroute you will find your own gems: just stay on roads marked "D" and visit as many green blotches on the map as you can. Don't forget to stop for du pain, du vin, et du Boursin. (bread, wine and cheese)

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC

post #4 of 8 Old 04-22-2014, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Onno
That's exactly the kind of info I'm hoping for. Actually we the 2nd half of our trip will bring us along the Cote d'Azur and then north (possibly along route Napoleon) and into the Alps so some of your suggestions for eastern France might just be applicable as well.

Thank you for the info, that will make for some nice google planning later this evening.

Oh, and du pain, du vin et du Boursin is a given.

The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #5 of 8 Old 04-22-2014, 06:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 229
Hi Fiorano,
I still can't get used to the name change!
I don't know all the roads and I don't know what you want in particulier, but....
If you get the Michelin maps, the large regional versions in the 230 and 240 number series, unless they have changed them recently.
On the maps the picturesque roads are marked with a green band on the side. The best view is with the green band on your right hand side as you drive, if you understand what I mean. If the view is good in both directions there is a green band on both sides of the road.
You might want to pass by Le Mans and take in the Museum.
Furter South, just South of Brive, I like the D840 between the A20 and the A75 autoroutes.
If you take the A75, stop at the service area just North of the Millau Viaduct to get a good view of the bridge from below. It is less impressive once you are on it and not very visible from the South side.
The whole Dordogne area is a delight, but not very rapid, roughly the triangle, Brive la Gaillard, Bordeaux and Montauban.
Nigel

'97 Rosso Corsa 550 Maranello
post #6 of 8 Old 04-22-2014, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks Nigel,
Great info. And much appreciated!

post #7 of 8 Old 04-22-2014, 05:34 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
has nothing to do with your question but this always comes to mind when I hear of perpignan. It's called "railway station at perpignan" by Dali.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Attached Images

post #8 of 8 Old 04-23-2014, 08:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Cherbourg - Perpignan

St Marie de le Mar for the gypsy festival!

Marseille is very nice and so is Salon de Provence, home of Nostradamus (open to the public). His burial crypt is in the town church.

St Tropez is very bucolic. Saw a Testarossa driving on the streets.

Another interesting town we visited is Carcassonne. It's a walled city dating back to 100 BC. Pretty amazing site to see and a quaint hotel is located just outside the walls of the city.

+1 on Le Mont St Michel, if you head north toward Normandy.

La Rochelle is nice too, especially if you go out on the causeway to the islands. I saw a 308 there while eating lunch.

Pack and take along some frommage, pain and vin and you are all set!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode