Monterey Week - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 01-11-2013, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 229
Monterey Week

Ok, so I have a bucket full of points with United that will expire in September, so I'm trying to persuade the wife that this is the year to do Monterey week.

Good idea? Thoughts? Experiences? Tips?

Ferraris : 1990 Testarossa, 2000 550 Maranello
Others : 1967 E-Type S1 FHC, 1972 S1 XJ6, 1972 Maserati Ghibli SS, 2006 Ford GT, 2001 Mini Cooper Sport 465/500
Past : 1980 512BB, 1994 348 spider, 1989 300 SL, TVR Griffith, TVR Tuscan, Lotus Elise, 996 Turbo, Cayenne GTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 01-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 196
It's an activity filled week. Too many fun filled things to do.
Get hotel reservations early!
As it gets closer the Historics website will have a list of all the shows, auctions, racing, etc.

Dan
Current: Scuderia
Past: 330GTC, 512TR
Quantum Mechanic, Quarks repaired, Black Holes refilled.
post #3 of 32 Old 01-11-2013, 04:16 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
I would recommend it for sure. The track day at Laguna Seca is my preferred event of the week.

post #4 of 32 Old 01-12-2013, 07:56 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #5 of 32 Old 01-12-2013, 02:10 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshiveral View Post
Ok, so I have a bucket full of points with United that will expire in September, so I'm trying to persuade the wife that this is the year to do Monterey week. Good idea? Thoughts? Experiences? Tips?
DO IT!!!

I've attended every one for the last 8 or 10 years or so. Each time they are great fun.

My favorite thing is spending all day Saturday at Laguna Seca at the car races. For me it's not so much the races but strolling the paddock there that is most cool. All the cars that are racing (from 1930s Bugattis to Shelby Cobras) are there to walk around, oogle, talk to the owners or drivers etc.

And there are all those chance events that are cool too. It was great fun watching Stirling Moss scare the daylights out of Jay Leno as he "chauffeured" Leno around the track in the 1955 Mercedes SLR he had drove to win the Mille Miglia. In 2006 Toyota, who was just entering F1, broke the track record with their new F1 car (Ricardo Zonta at the wheel). A couple of years ago, I spent over 30 minutes talking one-on-one with (an apparently bored!) Pierre Henri Raphanel about being the Bugatti test driver for the Bugatti Veyron SS speed record. YMMV, but I always have fun at Laguna Seca.

We share a Turn 5 paddock at the track. By "we" I mean the Ferrari Club, the Porsche Club and the BMW Club. You get to park your car right in the infield. I have always attended with the BMW Car Club (and may do so again this year even if I am successful in acquiring my 328 or 308 since the 2013 BMW Car Club of America "Oktoberfest" immediately follows the Monterey Car weekend). The paddock requires advance tickets, but is a great base from which to venture through the day. (I oogled a lot of Ferraris in the car corral last summer, and I apologize if I drooled on any of them).

The rest of the weekend is amazing too. Lots to do. The Pebble Beach Concours occurs that weekend and is also a cool event (although once was enough for me). There are dinners everywhere, lots of concours and lots of eye-candy everywhere. Everyone hits saturation point and unless you are driving a lime green zebra striped Enzo spewing 4 foot flames from the tail pipe, after a while almost no one bats an eye.

Check out the websites of the "Concorso Italiano", "Monterey Motorsport Reunion", the "Pebble Beach Concours" and "Barrett Jackson'" to get a sense of what the weekend is like.

Brian.

1983 308 GTS Quattrovalvole
post #6 of 32 Old 01-12-2013, 11:06 PM
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 139
Here's the 10-day program for the real hardcore guys:

Monterey Pre-Reunion at Laguna Seca Sat/Sun 10/11 August 2013.
Quail Lodge Rallye Monday 12 August 2013.
Concours on the Avenue in Carmel-by-the Sea Tuesday 13 August 2013.
Tony Singer's super Automobilia Expo at the Embassy Suites Hotel in Monterey Tuesday 13 August 2013 (also on Wednesday).
Gordon McCall's Motorwerks Party (kick off meeting for MRY week) at MRY Airport Wednesday 14th August 2013 at 5 pm.
EARLY Thursday morning 15th August 2013 Pebble Beach Tour starting in front of Gooding's auction tent at Polo Field in Pebble Beach. Be there not later than 7 am!
Same day Thursday at lunch time in Carmel to watch the PB Tour. Or go to Bixby brigde on HWY 1 to see the cars passing. End of Thursday afternoon you could quickly go to Quail in Carmel Valley to see the cars being prepared for Friday's Show (no spectators there yet, and no fees).
Friday 16th August do The Quail-A Motorsport Gathering in Carmel Valley (Tickets have just increased to $ 550!), as well as Concorso Italiano at Laguna Seca Golf Ranch. Leaving Quail for Concorso Italiano go over Laureles Grade (NOT HWY 1 due to traffic) towards Laguna Seca.
Friday 16th August in the evening the Gooding auction reception.
And then Saturday the historics at Laguna Seca (this year Corvette is the featured marque).
Saturday afternoon at 4 pm is usually a local Ferrari gathering at the Barnyard Shopping Center in Carmel.
Sunday all day Pebble Beach Concours.
And naturally all the auctions (Gooding at Polo Field in Pebble Beach, RM at Portola Plaza hotel in downtown MRY, Bonhams near Quail Lodge in Carmel Valley, Mecum at Hyatt hotel in MRY, Russo & Steele at Fisherman's Warf in MRY) and all the previews.
Oh yes, Monday morning 19th August, when you think it is all over and you are tired of all the cars, on the way north from MRY to SFO airport, make a little detour right before San José and go right to Danville to visit the open day of Ken Behring's and Don Williams' spectacular Blackhawk Museum.

Best is helicopter rental for 10 days..........it really helps. It also helps if you park your wife for 10 days at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, the MRY outlet store or at the Château Julien Winery in Carmel Valley. And don't forget your Amex Centurion.

Marcel Massini

Last edited by Marcel Massini; 01-13-2013 at 04:01 AM.
post #7 of 32 Old 01-14-2013, 05:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Classic post, Marcel. Very informative on more than 1 level.

I would love to "do" Monterey one year.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #8 of 32 Old 01-14-2013, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks everyone for the generous posts.
Marcel - what a recipe for doing it properly! I think the helicopter rental is a little too rich for my blood, and regardless of enjoying her company, I think leaving my wife in a shopping-rich environment for a week would prevent me from sleeping

I am truly grateful for all the info guys.

Others : 1967 E-Type S1 FHC, 1972 S1 XJ6, 1972 Maserati Ghibli SS, 2006 Ford GT, 2001 Mini Cooper Sport 465/500
Past : 1980 512BB, 1994 348 spider, 1989 300 SL, TVR Griffith, TVR Tuscan, Lotus Elise, 996 Turbo, Cayenne GTS
post #9 of 32 Old 01-16-2013, 12:42 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the generous posts.
Marcel - what a recipe for doing it properly! I think the helicopter rental is a little too rich for my blood, and regardless of enjoying her company, I think leaving my wife in a shopping-rich environment for a week would prevent me from sleeping

I am truly grateful for all the info guys.
I have been doing this since 1977 every year, in the past 35 years I missed only 1 year in Monterey. Back then in the late 70s it was just the historics at Laguna Seca Sat/Sun and the Pebble Beach Concours on Sunday. Since then the MRY week has developed into a real 10 day MRY madness. Clearly it is a MUST. No matter if your wife joins you or not, you won't sleep any way during those 10 days.

Marcel Massini
post #10 of 32 Old 01-21-2013, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Hot off the press....."she who must be obeyed" is into the idea. Research now underway. Probably fly into Vegas for a couple of days first. That allows me to dream of winning an "auction fund" en route

post #11 of 32 Old 01-21-2013, 06:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Massini View Post
I have been doing this since 1977 every year, in the past 35 years I missed only 1 year in Monterey. Back then in the late 70s it was just the historics at Laguna Seca Sat/Sun and the Pebble Beach Concours on Sunday. Since then the MRY week has developed into a real 10 day MRY madness. Clearly it is a MUST. No matter if your wife joins you or not, you won't sleep any way during those 10 days.

Marcel Massini
Marcel,

Remember that the first yars of the Histrics were not on Sunday as the Saturday winners got an invite to Pebble for Sunday. 5909GT - in 1975 wins on Saturday with Bondurant driving then Sunday wins for Fred Knoop on the lawn.

Jeff
post #12 of 32 Old 01-21-2013, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Trans-atlantic flights and Monterey hotel all booked now. Very exciting. Stopping in New York, Vegas and Sonoma. If I can keep Mrs S under control in the New York and Sonoma hotel booking stakes then we might be able to afford to go to The Quail

post #13 of 32 Old 01-22-2013, 02:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Wow, Jon, I'm jealous!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #14 of 32 Old 02-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 46
Monterey week

We will be driving our 575 Maranello to Carmel on Wednesday. If we get there in time we will go to the automobila show at the Embassy Suites in Monterey. Thursday we will be on Ocean Drive in Carmel for the arrival of the Tour D'Elegance. Friday we participate in the Concorso Italiano in Monterey. Saturday we go to a couple of the auctions in Monterey and then on to Wild things, an animal refuge in Salinas. We have been to the Monterey Historics and Pebble Beach in the past and if you are going for the first time do not miss them.
post #15 of 32 Old 02-02-2013, 04:53 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce575 View Post
We will be driving our 575 Maranello to Carmel on Wednesday. If we get there in time we will go to the automobila show at the Embassy Suites in Monterey. Thursday we will be on Ocean Drive in Carmel for the arrival of the Tour D'Elegance. Friday we participate in the Concorso Italiano in Monterey. Saturday we go to a couple of the auctions in Monterey and then on to Wild things, an animal refuge in Salinas. We have been to the Monterey Historics and Pebble Beach in the past and if you are going for the first time do not miss them.
For Friday may I also suggest to attend The Quail-A Motorsport Gathering at Quail Lodge in Carmel Valley . Highly recommended also the Bonhams auction at the same location. And Friday eve the Gooding party at Pebble Beach (Polo Field).

Marcel Massini
post #16 of 32 Old 02-02-2013, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks again folks.

Marcel - what's the story with Quail tickets? Looks like you register and are entered in a draw.

post #17 of 32 Old 02-03-2013, 01:32 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Thanks again folks.

Marcel - what's the story with Quail tickets? Looks like you register and are entered in a draw.
Cannot answer that question, very sorry.

Marcel Massini
post #18 of 32 Old 02-07-2013, 04:13 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 66
At Monterey I always go to Clint's bed & breakfast for dinner

It's called something like Mission Inn Ranch in Carmel and is about 500 ft. West of the old church there, no sign, but it looks like a bunch of farmhouses which is what it is because Clint visited it in 1952 when he was stationed at Ft. Ord in the Army and took a liking to it and a few decades later was the first to pounce on it when it became available. His wife and he converted it to a bed & breakfast and there's a bar and dining room with indoor and outdoor dining. No matter how busy I am at Monterey I always try to get over there for dinner on the patio. I think it cost me about $17 and that was without any booze. I only saw Clint there once, near the piano, but it was quite dark at night. I hear he sometimes plays sthe piano--he used to tickle the ivories in Oakland at a bar when he was only 16. After Tuesday night it's gonna be hard to get in during Car Holy Week (or whatever it's called now). No special place to park your expensive car so watch for door dings or park out on the street.
post #19 of 32 Old 02-07-2013, 06:32 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitzman View Post
... Car Holy Week (or whatever it's called now)...
Gawd that's funny. (... although I've lost track. Is that what it's ...?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitzman View Post
...No special place to park your expensive car ...
I have my secret spot and I ain't telling.

1983 308 GTS Quattrovalvole
post #20 of 32 Old 02-08-2013, 10:49 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 196
I'd like to figure out how to drive the Scud to the actual Concours without driving over the dirt, hay, and gravel at the golf course. Any info anyone is willing to share?

Dan
Current: Scuderia
Past: 330GTC, 512TR
Quantum Mechanic, Quarks repaired, Black Holes refilled.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode