Creating A New Car Show From Scratch - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-24-2012, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,393
Creating A New Car Show From Scratch

Hey everyone,

Some of you know me from other spots around the web, but I've been mostly active in the midwest section, but I'm starting to branch out on here a little bit more.

I'm in the process of organizing a new car show in the St. Louis area. Currently there are about 3 major shows in the area, one on Easter which mostly encompasses older "classic" cars, such as Model A's and T's, hot rods, some "off" cars, etc. There's one in May that deals with the "concourse" cars around town, put on by the Kemp Auto Museum, which tailors to the "nicer" cars around town. And, there's one that's in June, which is probably one of the main shows in the area, the "European Auto Show" which encompasses Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, Porsches, etc.

I got to talking to a few of the guys at the European Auto Show, and we realized that there's room for another show around town, which it's my goal to have operational by next year. I want to make this a mix of those three shows, with a charity aspect. I don't want to exclude cars, but I would nix some of the more "common" cars from participating. Also, I would like to have a concourse class where the cars are by invite only.

Some of the ideas that have been floated are to try to team up with one of the local sports teams, which I like, but I want to get things more set in stone before I move forward with that idea. Furthermore, sponsorships would definitely be welcome, and teaming with some of the dealers around town would be a solid way to go about this, IMO. I would also have booths available for both food vendors and detailers, car shops, etc.

I'm trying to get a committee together to start having planning meetings about how to best bring this idea into fruition. I would form this as a 501C3 in order to make it "official."

Currently, the charities I'm considering are the Boy Scouts and the United Way, but I'm open to suggestions as well. Problem with teaming with a sports team is that they would probably want the proceeds to go to their charity, which I'd be willing to explore if it got to that point.

For some more information, see this thread: http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/us...bull-horn.html

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated, especially from those that have organized car shows in the past. My goal is to have at least 100 cars participate the first year, which means I want this to be run and planned well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
there are many things to consider. The two primary ones are cars and spectators. Strangely, cars are usually the easy part. spectators are where the money is at. that requires advertising. Timing is also critical. very important to pick a date that is open on a lot of calenders. this can be tricky. don't want bad weather, conflicts with other events, ect. dealers are usually a good source for sponsorships and cars. as are high end repair shops. wouldn't hurt to get a popular radio station involved. put out fliers in business' to promote the show. if nobody knows about it, nobody will come. most new car shows i have judged lack the public, not the cars.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 7 Old 06-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,201
Last July a few of us put on a Charity Family Day with the emphasis on Supercars throughout the ages, we gathered over 100 Supercars from Bentley Blowers to Lamborghini Aventador & everything in between. It's vital you advertise, it's also vital to get the car clubs & Dealers supports, also if you can add attractions for the whole family you'll get better attendance. As a result of our efforts we raised $100k and we charged each visitor $10 a car irrespective how many we're inside it. Doing the math will enable you to work out how successful our day was. We had 8 on the committee & all money raised went to Help for Heroes, Taysides Cash for Kids & our local Hospitals Skin Cancer Research Fund.

As a result of last years efforts I started a Charity Supercar Club to continue the work officially, you can read more about it here Supercar Ecosse

Good luck Scott, if you think I can be of any assistance just drop me an email or PM.

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Current: California 30 Handling Speciale.
Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider

post #4 of 7 Old 06-24-2012, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Good ideas, guys. The only thing that I'm trying to avoid is charging spectators, I think that may drive down attendance, even though it would boost the bottom line. What were you charging to show a car?

I'm shooting for late August/early September, something to kind of wrap up the summer season.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-24-2012, 04:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollsorferrari? View Post
Good ideas, guys. The only thing that I'm trying to avoid is charging spectators, I think that may drive down attendance, even though it would boost the bottom line. What were you charging to show a car?

I'm shooting for late August/early September, something to kind of wrap up the summer season.
Charge a gate fee, people will come if you make it interesting & fresh!

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Current: California 30 Handling Speciale.
Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider
post #6 of 7 Old 06-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
charge at least $5. maybe $10 depending on what you have on display. make it clear that it is all for charity. do it in a well travelled area and put a supercar up front. Invite vendors and charge them too.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #7 of 7 Old 06-25-2012, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
charge at least $5. maybe $10 depending on what you have on display. make it clear that it is all for charity. do it in a well travelled area and put a supercar up front. Invite vendors and charge them too.
None of the other shows around town charge spectators. I'm all for charging sponsors and vendors, but at this point I just don't think I'm willing to charge the attendees.

How did you guys advertise? I'll be trying to get on some radio shows, put an ad in the paper, the typical route. Have you guys don't any advertising that wasn't typical?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode