Colorado Grand - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 04-14-2012, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Colorado Grand

I've read Jon Shirleys interview with Onno's post today, where Jon says that the most impressiv rallye for him is the Colorado Grand. After that, I skipped quickly thru the application form for this year's Colorado Grand in September to see what the "rough" pre-conditions are to participate.
Any of you guys ever actively participated or have been there as viewers at the start or finish or has any kind of knowledge about it ? Any thoughts welcome !

Was personally wondering if participation with "D" would be possible/accepted and still make administratively "sense/feasible" ?! Again any knowledge or thoughts welcome. Thanks.

Last edited by 212Export; 04-14-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 04-14-2012, 09:08 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,201
Rolf, unfortunately your Daytona wouldn't be acceptable for admission to this Charity Tour as it is for pre-1960's sports or race cars and I believe your D is younger than those

Their website states...
The Colorado Grand« is an annual charity tour for 1960 and earlier sports and race cars of distinction. The event was founded in 1989 by Englewood automotive enthusiast Bob Sutherland. Every September at the peak of the fall color season approximately 85 vintage cars are driven in this relaxed, non-competitive event, covering 1,000 miles through the Rockies in five days.

Sounds like a fantastic event for a great cause!

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Current: California 30 Handling Speciale.
Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider
post #3 of 40 Old 04-14-2012, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish16M View Post
Rolf, unfortunately your Daytona wouldn't be acceptable for admission to this Charity Tour as it is for pre-1960's sports or race cars and I believe your D is younger than those

Their website states...
The Colorado Grand« is an annual charity tour for 1960 and earlier sports and race cars of distinction. The event was founded in 1989 by Englewood automotive enthusiast Bob Sutherland. Every September at the peak of the fall color season approximately 85 vintage cars are driven in this relaxed, non-competitive event, covering 1,000 miles through the Rockies in five days.

Sounds like a fantastic event for a great cause!
WOW, great knowledge Peter. I did not went so far to check which cars are aloud tpo participate. Well I guess I need to drive individually thru the US once decided to move "D" there for a 3-4 week journey, (Which would be also not bad at all !) and Colorado would be on the map as well. We could even call it FLED !

post #4 of 40 Old 04-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Colorado is a fantastic state, I've driven some roads there from Denver and Boulder into the Rockies. Absolutely beautiful. A lot of it is rolling hills, a bit like Tuscany.

It is a dream of mine to ship my 330GTC over to the US one day, and hopefully drive coast-to-coast. But I think it will be a long time before that happens. It's a very expensive and time-consuming thing to do, and there are so many other things on my list as well (like visit Antarctica). But undoubtedly it would be amazing.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #5 of 40 Old 04-14-2012, 01:33 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #6 of 40 Old 04-14-2012, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
don't know much about it but i hear it's "exclusive".
If its "exclusive" its starts to loose apeal for me. Personally I like to have "oilheads" instead of "5 course menu participants" around me.
post #7 of 40 Old 04-15-2012, 02:32 AM
Owner

Exclusive doesn't necessarily mean good food and good hotels. Just look at the Mille Miglia.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

330GTC
post #8 of 40 Old 04-15-2012, 03:21 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
If its "exclusive" its starts to loose apeal for me. Personally I like to have "oilheads" instead of "5 course menu participants" around me.
+1 well said

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Current: California 30 Handling Speciale.
Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider
post #9 of 40 Old 04-15-2012, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Exclusive doesn't necessarily mean good food and good hotels. Just look at the Mille Miglia.

Onno
I used may saying as a "metapher" Onno !
post #10 of 40 Old 04-15-2012, 08:21 AM
Owner

Quote:
I used may saying as a "metapher" Onno !
What I mean, 212, is that I understand your point but it does not have to be that the Colorado Grand is like that, even if it is hard to get in.

In the interview of Jon Shirley, he describes people participating in fairly cheap cars, and it is a charity event, so there is a chance it is actually a very nice event with like-minded petrol heads. I don't know, but there is a chance I would say.

Onno

330GTC
post #11 of 40 Old 04-15-2012, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
What I mean, 212, is that I understand your point but it does not have to be that the Colorado Grand is like that, even if it is hard to get in.

In the interview of Jon Shirley, he describes people participating in fairly cheap cars, and it is a charity event, so there is a chance it is actually a very nice event with like-minded petrol heads. I don't know, but there is a chance I would say.

Onno
Got it ! Agree that it does not automatically means People "blasÚ" .
post #12 of 40 Old 04-15-2012, 02:30 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 139
Your car DOES qualify for the UTAH FAST PASS event.
Quote:
The Utah Fast Pass event is designed to showcase rare "cars of limited production" in a three-day drive on Utah's most scenic roads and one day at the spectacular 4.5-mile Miller Motorsports Park road course.
It's a newer event, but has been getting much attention. I know the organizers very well, and the founder was a close friend.
All proceeds go to the Fallen Heroes of the Highway Patrol, and other worthy charities.

check it out!
post #13 of 40 Old 04-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Might try PM'ing Jeff Kennedy as he may have more info on US events.
post #14 of 40 Old 04-15-2012, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Your car DOES qualify for the UTAH FAST PASS event.
It's a newer event, but has been getting much attention. I know the organizers very well, and the founder was a close friend.
All proceeds go to the Fallen Heroes of the Highway Patrol, and other worthy charities.

check it out!
Thank you for the hint. Looks like a very special event. However a 3 day event is (for me personally coming from Europe with a car from Europe) not worthwhile to be attended except if I would stay longer in the US, like Onno suggested forhimself i.e. combining it with a coast to coast drive.
post #15 of 40 Old 04-17-2012, 02:05 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 122
If anyone decides to come this way for the event, let me know. I'd love meet folks from the the "life" in person. 212, you can't come to CO for 3 days! The Rockies are a fantastic ride and some unbelievable places to stay and September is off season meaning good hotel prices. Check it out.

Current: 1986 328 GTS [Nero/Rossa]
DailyDiver: 2012 MB E350

Damn, where are my keys!
post #16 of 40 Old 04-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Thank you for the hint. Looks like a very special event. However a 3 day event is (for me personally coming from Europe with a car from Europe) not worthwhile to be attended except if I would stay longer in the US, like Onno suggested forhimself i.e. combining it with a coast to coast drive.

Coast to coast would certainly expose you to many great possibilities but just focusing on the Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, Arizona area could give you a couple of weeks of great roads and beautiful scenic locations. It is a big piece of real estate. If I was going to the trouble of transporting a car here thats where I would go.

Terry (tazandjan) would be a good guy to ask about that area

My second choice would be the west coast from the California central coast up to Victoria Island or even farther with some inland adventures like Yosemite Park and doing the Monterey/Pebble Beach thing.

By the way, you don't need safety trangles, colored vests or any of that junk here. Just a reliable car and a tank of gas.
post #17 of 40 Old 04-18-2012, 05:16 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Coast to coast would certainly expose you to many great possibilities but just focusing on the Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, Arizona area could give you a couple of weeks of great roads and beautiful scenic locations. It is a big piece of real estate. If I was going to the trouble of transporting a car here thats where I would go.

My second choice would be the west coast from the California central coast up to Victoria Island or even farther with some inland adventures like Yosemite Park and doing the Monterey/Pebble Beach thing.
+1 on both of those suggestions. Within just a few hundred miles of each other in those four states you will find the Grand Canyon (legendary), Bryce Canyon (reddest natural scene-scape on earth), Pikes Peak (home of the Pikes-Peak Hill climb, and paved roads over 12,000 feet in elevation!), and many, many more amazing roads. Plus some real authentic American Indian experiences, if you like the idea. A couple of racetracks. And the only place in the USA where you can stand in one place and be in 4 states at once!
post #18 of 40 Old 04-18-2012, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks for the great suggestions. Actually none of all was on my radar before but as you make all those suggestions, we may should plan a Hyper Fled coast to coast for 2 weeks.
post #19 of 40 Old 04-18-2012, 07:32 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 140
Quote:
Colorado is a fantastic state, I've driven some roads there from Denver and Boulder into the Rockies. Absolutely beautiful. A lot of it is rolling hills, a bit like Tuscany.

It is a dream of mine to ship my 330GTC over to the US one day, and hopefully drive coast-to-coast. But I think it will be a long time before that happens. It's a very expensive and time-consuming thing to do, and there are so many other things on my list as well (like visit Antarctica). But undoubtedly it would be amazing.

Onno
There are a few well organized trips and many wonderful roads in both the Western and Eastern US. However the concept of driving coast to coast is over-rated in my opinion. Much of the journey would be on flat, straight and seemingly endless interstate drives that are more drudgery than entertaining.

Check out Vintage Rallies. The Taylors organize these trips around fun roads, great scenery and nice resorts and dining. I would not waste my times traveling through the flatlands in the mid section of the country to get to the other coast.

Steve

Past: GTC, BB, QM, C/4, 355, 360, 550, 575, C/4
post #20 of 40 Old 04-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitano View Post
There are a few well organized trips and many wonderful roads in both the Western and Eastern US. However the concept of driving coast to coast is over-rated in my opinion. Much of the journey would be on flat, straight and seemingly endless interstate drives that are more drudgery than entertaining.

Check out Vintage Rallies. The Taylors organize these trips around fun roads, great scenery and nice resorts and dining. I would not waste my times traveling through the flatlands in the mid section of the country to get to the other coast.
What about Route 66? Over-rated or worth the trip?

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode