Clear Bra - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 05-30-2009, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 114
Clear Bra

Had Venture Shield ClearBra installed today on front bumper of Modena 360. Lifetime warranty against peel and yellowing. Understand Venture shield is now owned by 3-M which has only 5 yr warranty. Looks crystal clear and no issues. Did Venture shield as it has been on my MB for 2 yrs. and no issues. Per installer new bonding agent.
Docf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-30-2009, 12:57 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by docf View Post
Had Venture Shield ClearBra installed today on front bumper of Modena 360. Lifetime warranty against peel and yellowing. Understand Venture shield is now owned by 3-M which has only 5 yr warranty. Looks crystal clear and no issues. Did Venture shield as it has been on my MB for 2 yrs. and no issues. Per installer new bonding agent.
Docf
Would be nice to see few pics ? Thanx in advance. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #3 of 16 Old 05-30-2009, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Clear bra piture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
Would be nice to see few pics ? Thanx in advance. w/ smiles Jimmy
Unfortunately had no help and could not pull the car out of garage so will do for now. Picture makes it look like there is a wrinkle , but is a reflrction of door window in the bumper. Pictures today do no justice.
Docf
Attached Images

post #4 of 16 Old 05-30-2009, 02:12 PM
Owner

Thank You, docf. From the pics, indeed it looks stealth. Very nice. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #5 of 16 Old 05-31-2009, 12:06 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
I keep wondering if I should do the same.

I realize it's a bit help, but I have seem clear coats hit by rocks that went through the clear and damaged the paint.

I have an exceptional paint repair person who is a magician. If I do the coat he can't then repair the paint w/o a removal of the coat.

Tough decision but it does look nice.
post #6 of 16 Old 05-31-2009, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post
I keep wondering if I should do the same.

I realize it's a bit help, but I have seem clear coats hit by rocks that went through the clear and damaged the paint.

I have an exceptional paint repair person who is a magician. If I do the coat he can't then repair the paint w/o a removal of the coat.

Tough decision but it does look nice.
If I was back in Fl. I prob. would not have installed. But here in Co. it's not if, its when. I have been quite pleased with Venture shield that has been on the MBx 2 yrs. Ave speed 3-4 days per week is 80 mph and travel 100 miles/day. Lots of truck traffic and plenty tumble weed. No stone chips or blemishes to the front end including bumper and mirrors. Venture shield is very clear! Is also guaranteed life of ownership for peel, color change etc.
Bumper bra cost was 250. My last paint repair was 1800 , but did get rid of those nasty sheet metal screws that attach airfoil to lower end of the bumper and replace with rivitscrews.
Docf
post #7 of 16 Old 05-31-2009, 02:10 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
It makes sense but with me driving my 360 about 1,500 miles per year I don't overly worry.

I stay off freeways and use secondary roads as much as possible.

My 530i had a collection of rock dings that my paint pro took care of.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-01-2009, 10:08 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
I detail cars here in Colorado, Calif., Texas, pretty much all over the states. Colorado is by far, IMO, the worst place for cars. The gravel dumped on the roads is just terrible!

Andrew Pancroft
Denver, Co
post #9 of 16 Old 06-19-2009, 04:24 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 15
Being a detailer myself, I do not like clear bras at all. I don't like them for 2 reasons.
1). Like CGalo said, most of the damage they are suppose to protect against ends up ripping right through the clear bra and damages the paint anyway. When this happens, you not only are stuck with having to fix the paint chips, but you have to remove the clear bra as well.
2). even though most companies tell you they are not going to peal, I have worked on numerous cars that have had the clear bra on them for a while, and there has be the smallest amount of pealing around the edges that allows dirt to collect under the glue, and then you end up with a circle of dirt around them, or you get someone that waxes their car themselves or has some weekend detailer do it, and you end up with wax in the area.
IMO, they are not worth it. It takes away from the shine as well.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-19-2009, 04:50 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamAutoWorks View Post
Being a detailer myself, I do not like clear bras at all. I don't like them for 2 reasons.
1). Like CGalo said, most of the damage they are suppose to protect against ends up ripping right through the clear bra and damages the paint anyway. When this happens, you not only are stuck with having to fix the paint chips, but you have to remove the clear bra as well.
2). even though most companies tell you they are not going to peal, I have worked on numerous cars that have had the clear bra on them for a while, and there has be the smallest amount of pealing around the edges that allows dirt to collect under the glue, and then you end up with a circle of dirt around them, or you get someone that waxes their car themselves or has some weekend detailer do it, and you end up with wax in the area.
+1. Got to agree. It is perfectly understandable that we all want to keep our cars impeccable. Nevertheless, a different attitude is to accept the reality that you do get all these chips and what have you. Just accept these as reality and be proud of these "marks" which prove that you're driving and enjoying your cars. Heck, I've got chips and nicks everywhere. Enjoy ! w/ smiles Jimmy
post #11 of 16 Old 06-19-2009, 09:13 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
Are those bras easy to remove?

Do they eventually discolor or such?

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #12 of 16 Old 06-19-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
Are those bras easy to remove?

Do they eventually discolor or such?
Well, I don't know about how easy they are to remove since I have never removed one. I'm sure it's just like everything else though, if you have the proper tools and the proper chemicals, I'm sure it's a breeze.

As far as discoloring, you have to think about the fact that it is something that is covering your paint, and ever though it is clear, the same environmental elements that are hitting your paint that is not covered is hitting the clear bra instead of the paint. This may cause a difference in the color that was covered vs the color that was not.
Of course this is all speculation. I'm basing this on what I know about paint technology, not what I know about clear bras, which is basically nothing. If you continuously wax one side of a car and don't wax the other, even though the protection is not visible, after a while, you will start to see a difference.
post #13 of 16 Old 06-19-2009, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamAutoWorks View Post
3M is guaranteed for 5 yrs peeling and color chge, Venture shield is guarnteed for color distortion and peeling for as long as you OWN your car. I drive 100 miles /day, 4 days per week and currently have 44,000 miles on the clock on my MB. Colorado roads which prob are some of the worst in the nation. Speed limit 75 which means 80, truck traffic , show ice etc. This invol bugs , stones and the worst---Tumble weed and have yet to have a tear in my Ventureshield. I did get a small peel on the Ferrari mirrors and it is being replaced free of charge at my home tomorrow. Your above anti clear bra has no validity. My front end on the MB looks as good as day one, no prob.shine, no punct. wounds , no wax imbeded were it doesn't belong. You don't wax bras, you use speed shine or something similiar. I certainly would not stick up for a product that has no merit being a consumer if I felt I was being cheated! I will stick up for a product that when applied properly does what it is supposed to do which is to protect the finish.
post #14 of 16 Old 06-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Owner

docf, that is impressive performance, indeed. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #15 of 16 Old 06-20-2009, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
docf, that is impressive performance, indeed. w/ smiles Jimmy
Thanks Jimmy but I only give credit where credit is due. As I said prior if I lived in Fl. as in past prob. wouldn't install it as no real necessity. Hopefully be back there in a year or so.
Haven't seen you on the Forum for some time. Where have you been? I did post recently pictures of past 308, Boxer and Testa. I didn't know you had a Daytona and a 246! Too really great cars. I envy you.
Docf
post #16 of 16 Old 06-22-2009, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docf View Post
Your above anti clear bra has no validity. My front end on the MB looks as good as day one, no prob.shine, no punct. wounds , no wax imbeded were it doesn't belong. You don't wax bras, you use speed shine or something similiar. I certainly would not stick up for a product that has no merit being a consumer if I felt I was being cheated! I will stick up for a product that when applied properly does what it is supposed to do which is to protect the finish.
Well, like I said, I just don't care for them. As far as not waxing them, I don't wax them, but as I mentioned, if you get someone who doesn't know what they are doing they might.
I'm not trying to say that they are completely without purpose, or that they never work. I'm just basing my opinion on what I have personally seen on various cars through the years. I'm sure as Ferrari owners, you would all make sure that the people that put the clear bras on are the best in the industry, but we all know there are a lot of hacks out there, and maybe that's where the problem lays.

Gotham Auto Works Detailing Center
9 South Street Danbury, CT
(203) 885.1070
http://www.GothamAuto.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode