If you ran Ferrari? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 05-24-2009, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
If you ran Ferrari?

If you were the Ferrari CEO, what would the model portfolio look like.

Personally it would be:

V6 Turbo front engine aluminum bodied Sports car (coupe & spider)
V8 Turbo carbon fiber mid engine sports car (optional roof so could be set up as either a berlinetta or barchetta)
V12 2+2 aluminum front engine GT
V12 carbon fiber front engine GT
V10 twin turbo carbon fiber mid engine supercar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 05-24-2009, 10:20 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
If you were the Ferrari CEO, what would the model portfolio look like.

Personally it would be:

V6 Turbo front engine aluminum bodied Sports car (coupe & spider)
V8 Turbo carbon fiber mid engine sports car (optional roof so could be set up as either a berlinetta or barchetta)
V12 2+2 aluminum front engine GT
V12 carbon fiber front engine GT
V10 twin turbo carbon fiber mid engine supercar
That would be a great range, when do you start the job?

Personally I would like to see a targa / GTS version of the V6 and V8 engined cars, not a big fan of the spider versions of the last few V8's. The roof spoils the lines of the car.

A radical overhaul of the design team would also be needed, some of the recent designs have been down right ugly. The sports cars need to follow on from the lines of the Dino, 3x8's or possibly the 355. I know that Ferrari's should be about the engine and the drivability, but it helps if they are gorgeous and have a wow factor too.

The GT cars also need a wow factor, remember the feeling you got when you first saw the 365 Boxer or the Testarossa. The 550/575 and 599 lacked that, and I can't imagine many 12 year old boys have posters of these cars on their walls. Lambo are still streets ahead of Ferrari on the design side.

A supercar that followed in the 288 GTO and F40 lines would also be cool.

Archie
post #3 of 38 Old 05-25-2009, 10:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
I would forget the V-10 concept as it is an odd combo and I maybe even would nix the V-8.

I'd definitely develop an advanced DI V-6 either aspirated or turbo but aspirated appeals more to me (I understand this engine is already under development), and I would do a front engined car spider and coupe.

The way the world is walking and with the questionable future of energy a strong 6 cylinder engine would be my portfolio leader. Afterall look what Porsche has done!

V-12's have to stay as it's Ferrari history. Style shere would be as they have been and advanced.

post #4 of 38 Old 05-25-2009, 09:39 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 300
Boxer and friends i agree with all of you on these great ideas but for me i would look into hybrid or some sort of electric running motors V6 V8 or 12's put it at the front the back or mid engine doesn't matter, yes we all love the sound and the driving experience thing i get that, but the world is moving into a whole new direction, if any motor company can survive the next 20 or 30 years to come it has to do something different or else the japaness is going to take over the motoring business if not already!

Now imagine Honda brings out a new NSX hybrid that is fast and cheap to run, hell if Porsche can bring out that awful looking 4 door Panameria or what ever is called why not a Porsche 911 hybrid it could happen before you know it.

Feel free to disagree with me i'm sure some or most of you will, interested to see if anyone sort of agrees with me fingers crossed.

Cheers
D
post #5 of 38 Old 05-25-2009, 10:58 PM
Owner

Hybrids are not the answer to reduced fuel consumption nor are electric cars.

Hybrids produce an overall larger footprint than a standard fossil fuel vehicle.

Electric`cars use expensive non-renewal resources.

We need "cold fusion" technology or the equivalent.

I doubt Ferrari would consider a hybrid. I would think that would be a joke to them.
post #6 of 38 Old 05-25-2009, 11:32 PM
Owner

With my very limited knowledge of so called 'green' fuels, it looks as though to produce them they use far more energy than standard oil based fuel. Whilst what comes out of the exhaust might be cleaner, if you take into account the carbon footprint for production and consumption, gas or diesel powered cars are less damaging.

The only way to have a true green car is to run it with wind, solar or pedal power. It would be interesting to see a F1 championship fought out on the above basis, but I suspect lap times would come down. I can't imagine Kimi wanting to pedal his F60

Archie
post #7 of 38 Old 05-26-2009, 03:49 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post
Hybrids are not the answer to reduced fuel consumption nor are electric cars.

Hybrids produce an overall larger footprint than a standard fossil fuel vehicle.

Electric`cars use expensive non-renewal resources.

We need "cold fusion" technology or the equivalent.

I doubt Ferrari would consider a hybrid. I would think that would be a joke to them.
+1 IMO cold fusion will be "a" or "the" dominant energy source to come, probably 15 -25 years down the road. In the meantime a combination of hybrid, gaz, oil etc. will need to do it. Of great help will be smaller and much lighter cars. After all, the world does not need to go comsumption wise from average 8-10 at the moment to "0". Going down to 3-5 average will already greatly help in the meantime.
post #8 of 38 Old 05-26-2009, 03:57 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Other question which arises when questioning the automotive future is this:

1. How do you behave "investment" wise regarding a possibly not to distant paradigm change in automotive technology...in which Ferrari model would you "invest" to keep 'em long term even against that possible paradigm change. (Of course with "invest" I mean the fun factor needs to be there too.)

2. Will the "classics" just remain as they are, classic but undrivable long term as there are no fuel stations anymore ?

3. Will the price of classic cars fall as the public perception on those technical dinosaurs will deteriate ?
post #9 of 38 Old 05-26-2009, 04:41 AM
Owner

Ive just had to drive through the middle of the city I live in. Nearly every car was a family 4 or 5 seater weighing about 1.5 to 2 tonnes, and without fail there was only 1 person in each car. If governments really want to cut down on pollution, they should make manufacturers of everyday cars produce smaller and lighter cars for city driving - a lightweight 2 seater sports car for example. In all seriousness, I did consider buying a Smart Roadster or Coupe last year for commuting to work, the only thing that put me off was it would be impractical for motorway driving so I would still need a larger and safer car for that part of my commute, and I would struggle to put 2 kids in a 2 seater on the very rare occasion that both kids are in my car.

Gas powered cars are going to be consigned to history, F1 manufacturers are supposed to be inovators and visionaries, creating new technologies years before it filters down in to road cars. If Ferrari wants to stay at the cutting edge of technology for another 60 years, it should start considering new fuel technologies now. We can all chirp on about the noise and smell of a gas powered engine, but we are burying our heads in the sand. We can be nostalgic about it, but will the kids who are born today look back at gas powered cars as fondly as we do? My Grandfather and father talked affectionately about steam engines, the way we talk about petrol engines.

I would also like to see a major motor sports series for alternative powered cars, this would be a massive positive PR coup for all motorsports which are often criticised for their massive carbon footprint.

Archie
post #10 of 38 Old 05-26-2009, 08:20 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 81
You know as times and technology change, car companies need to change as well. I remember 30 years ago when I bought my first car with a V6 engine. It was so powerless that you could barely do the speed limit.

A few weeks ago I was in Florida and visited a small car company called Rossion. www.rossioncars.com

They took me out in their mid-engine V6 turbocharged sportscar for about an hour. This is a car that gets about 28 MPG. Driving in stop and go and heavy traffic, it was as easy to drive as my Audi. But when you put the hammer down it tried to break your neck! 0-60 like an Enzo!? Okay, I will definately take that 6 cylinder car!!! They were using a Ford Duratec V6, with generous boost. If the engine blows up, it is only $5,000 for a NEW one. That is the price of a belt service in a 90's Ferrari, and you get the whole engine.

The point is, technology is changing so rapidly that ANY car manufacturer needs to reevaluate how they look at the world and eliminate their pre-conceived perceptions of what works. Just because Ferrari has this great history of 12 cylinder engines does not mean they always will (it also doesn't mean that they won't keep them if that is what people are demanding). I say everything is fair game!!!!

I am up for any new configurations of drivetrain as long as it GOES!
post #11 of 38 Old 05-26-2009, 10:53 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
@Boxer

That's A LOT of turbos in the lineup.
post #12 of 38 Old 05-26-2009, 03:02 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
@Boxer

I wonder if that has anything to do with his F40 experience!

LOL

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #13 of 38 Old 05-26-2009, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post
I would forget the V-10 concept as it is an odd combo .
All in some great and very interesting answers.

Surprised you don't like my V10 concept. Idea would be a small displacement (2.8-3 liter) very light high revving aluminum engine mounted in a full carbon fiber tube. Semi fuel efficient with massive acceleration when you hit the turbos yet driveable in town.
post #14 of 38 Old 05-26-2009, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
@Boxer

Need them to hold/increase power in an era where just building bigger engines is a no go.
post #15 of 38 Old 05-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Owner

I do like you V-10 concept but big engines are going the way of the dodo bird.

Ferrari will stick w/12's due to its history and because they are limited in sales #'s.

I just think they need to be more P.C. in the world theater.
post #16 of 38 Old 05-29-2009, 01:05 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 167
Boxer,

As CEO, I would not do anything less then a V-8, you can make it smaller and add turbo's or a supercharger, stuff smaller then this is Alfa country, and I love Afla's-I've had several, V12 v V10, I love the historic value of the V12, nothing sounds like it, but as in F1, the V10 has proved a very capable power plant, again open to turbo's and superchargers. For my market breakdown:

70-150k US$ Retail is for Alfa and Maserati
150-180k US$ Retail is for starter V-8 Ferrari, IE. 308 in 80's, your annually gross income equals cost of car, for open air add some $
270-300k US$ Retail, V10 or V12, out performs almost anything on road, IE. Daytona, Boxer, Testarossa, 550, 599. Buy a rental house or this car?
400-500K Us$ Retail the Supercar, all the new stuff, etc. However I would change paths here from factory history, and put profit in house as oposed to open market and up production, current numbers are not at hand, but 272 GTO's made, 1349 F-40's, F50's, Enzo's, etc. 5-8,000 of each, lower production costs, increase profits.

My thoughts,

Mark
post #17 of 38 Old 05-29-2009, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Some very interesting posts and great ideas.
post #18 of 38 Old 05-29-2009, 12:02 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
keep the V12.

NO TURBOS except in race cars for that formula.

would LOVE to see a W-16 [NOW I'll get it]...as for V-6, ya'...bring em back.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #19 of 38 Old 05-29-2009, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
keep the V12.

NO TURBOS except in race cars for that formula.

would LOVE to see a W-16 [NOW I'll get it]...as for V-6, ya'...bring em back.
+1, Ferrari will always need to have a V12 in the line up for the continent crushing GT.
post #20 of 38 Old 05-30-2009, 11:39 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
For me, Ferrari needs to get back to its roots. That means: focus on the driver experiences.

1. I would rebadge the California and name it Dino California. It's a car that sits better in line with the old Dino concept: an entry level Ferrari that is a great drivers car but appeals to more people than just racing drivers and has added practicality to boot (pun intented!). There is a lot of cross-over between the Cali and Maserati and it was the same in the '70ies with FIAT and Lancia.
2. I would add a second car to the Dino line with a V6 and Turbo. It would be a coupe and a direct competitor to the 911, and it would be built in similar volumes. It would be light - 1,300kgs max, and it would be adapted to run on bad fuel to cater for the growing Asian markets.
3. The Ferrari line up would be roughly similar to what it is now. 1 V8 car in spyder and coupe form, but it would have an optional V10 engine. 1 V12 sledgehammer car. And 1 car similar to the Scaglietti but with better looks. On top of this of course a supercar to be released in limited numbers.
4. The entire range (with the exception of the 612 equivalent) would shift its focus from trying to be everything at once (luxurious and with driver feel, fast and safe, quiet and loud at the same time, easy to drive but rewarding on the limit, trackday car with iPod interface, etc), to being driver-focused and light. Power would, on the whole, reduce but the engines would become more revvy and more tractable. The V8/V10 car would be 1200kgs, the V12 would be 1500kgs. The 612 equivalent a maximum of 1650kgs. The supercar would target below 1000kgs. It would be faster than an Enzo but a lot greener.
5. Finally, I would make it a regular event (say, every 6 months), to release a rebodied version of one of the Ferrari cars, styled by an independent styling house. Only 5 would be built, for $1 million each. Once every 2 years I would hold an international competition between design universities to style a car that would make it into similar limited production. And I would hold similar competitions for engineering schools as well, to find the new Colombo's, Forghieri's and Lampredi's of this world.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode