F1 vs manual - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 05-10-2009, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 374
F1 vs manual

Not that I want to change my 550 right now, but should that happen, I would be considering evolving into a 575 (preferably GTC) or a 599.

Now there is a hiccup for me, independently of the drive itself where changing gears is a pleasure, and you can jump from 5th to 3rd or 2nd, on top of (I heard) allowing faster shifts, my garage sits in a sort of pit, very steep ramp with a 90 turn, that requires some delicate maneuvering to drive in and out of. Getting out, I allow the car to idle up the ramp, with my left foot ready to push the clutch and the right foot on the brake, the idling engine does the rest. I wonder if that will wear out the F1 clutch prematurely, if possible at all. And it is very difficult to find 575s and 599s with manual.

Your views on this (other than suggesting house change)? Anybody maneuvering this sort of car with f1?
Attached Images

... racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting... (Steve McQueen / Le Mans)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
I have seen both of the models you mentioned with 6 speed manual tranny's. So I don't think it would be hard to find either.

Your driveway may pose a problem for an F1 and that might get costly. Reverse to F1's is the major killer followed by driving in "auto" mode.

So I guess it would be valuable for you to drive both models with 6 speed Vs. F1 to see how you feel about the car. Some folks I know who own 599's tell me they prefer the F1 only because they may feel intimidated by that hefty 12 cylinder with a manual tranny. Who knows?

What you now have is a very nice looking car as well.
post #3 of 19 Old 05-10-2009, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks for the clue, I thought the F1 could be a problem around my driveway.

I like very much this car but it is getting old, and the signs are there (dash leather, sticky stuff, heater panel warping, short circuiting rear window defogger, etc), so I may change sometime. But this is the best car I have ever driven.

And we have to take care of that remote issue...

... racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting... (Steve McQueen / Le Mans)

post #4 of 19 Old 05-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Owner

Remember the devil you know is always better than the devil you don't know!

The issues you mention can be easily rectified. All cars have issues. They are just different.
post #5 of 19 Old 05-11-2009, 10:28 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
Agree with what Gcalo said. F1 could turn into a very expensive problem with the maneuvering required on your driveway. Looks to be a beautiful home and car though.

By the way, can you tell me about the grill-type ramps you have--I can use something like this for my driveway to prevent scraping my bumper (even though I have skid plates). Thanks!
post #6 of 19 Old 05-12-2009, 05:00 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Looking at the pictures, F1 is really not an option. You will be replacing clutches annually.
post #7 of 19 Old 05-12-2009, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
By the way, can you tell me about the grill-type ramps you have--I can use something like this for my driveway to prevent scraping my bumper (even though I have skid plates). Thanks!
I see this is your 1st post, so welcome to the forum.

The ramps were actually metal grills that were purchased at some hardware outfit, but they bent with all the car's weight the 1st time I used them.

So I had a handy metal worker re-enforce them by welding steel bars along and across and he fit small steel legs at different points that touch the ground to prevent it from further bending. He also welded reversed L shaped steel plates at the ends allowing for a smooth ride onto and off the ramp.

The finalized things were painted and bolted to the concrete ramp to avoid moving with the car's torque.

They're good but not perfect, I'll post more pix.

post #8 of 19 Old 05-12-2009, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Anyway, as all of you seem to confirm, F1 is not for my garage.

post #9 of 19 Old 05-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agp22 View Post
Anyway, as all of you seem to confirm, F1 is not for my garage.
Can you regrade the driveway?
post #10 of 19 Old 05-12-2009, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Already done that.

What you see is a driveway that was even steeper, but that has already been dug into at the bottom and raised at the top.

Next, I will probably build a highway...

The architect that built the house didn't particularly care about cars.

post #11 of 19 Old 05-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Sorry, out of ideas on this one.

You should be able to find a 575 with a manual box without too much trouble.
post #12 of 19 Old 05-12-2009, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Yes but I haven't seen any manual 599s though.

Anyway, since I think you told me sometime that Ferrari wants to stop manufacturing manuals (or wasn't it you who said that?), I figured, either my car gets better, or I'm doomed in this house if I want something newer...

Basically, I wondered if an F1 could be maneuvered up and down that complicated ramp without burning the clutch. You may recall the champagne colored 2003 575M with 12.000km that was for sale at the dealer sometime ago, well they managed to sell it and not much later I saw it at the shop changing the clutch. Are they simply sensible or could the previous owner have had a similar-type driveway?

post #13 of 19 Old 05-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Stop and go, slippage, and reverse are all very tough on F1 clutches.
post #14 of 19 Old 05-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Owner

The F1 tranny was never designed for multiple stop/go scenarios. It was for a race car that infrequently stopped.

So everyday usage is a challenge.

Your situation would be a definite killer.

There are 6 speed 599's. I have seen more than a few.

Where are you located?
post #15 of 19 Old 05-28-2009, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Europe.

You can see some detailing of the custom ramps and how tight it gets to clear the car.
Attached Images

post #16 of 19 Old 05-28-2009, 12:38 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
nice. And I'm terrible at F1 in reverse, but haven't done it enough to say differently.

Put a turntable in and do the ol' SF-Cablecar routine....

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #17 of 19 Old 05-28-2009, 12:54 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Wow! Not much space on your ramp there, agp22, between your spoiler and the floor I mean.

How are you, BTW, my friend? We will miss you on FLED2!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #18 of 19 Old 05-28-2009, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Doin' good, thanks and very busy tackling the adverse crisis...

Maybe FLED 3 or something else, who knows?

Looking forward to your new machine JazzyO.

post #19 of 19 Old 05-28-2009, 03:34 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by agp22 View Post
I see this is your 1st post, so welcome to the forum.

The ramps were actually metal grills that were purchased at some hardware outfit, but they bent with all the car's weight the 1st time I used them.

So I had a handy metal worker re-enforce them by welding steel bars along and across and he fit small steel legs at different points that touch the ground to prevent it from further bending. He also welded reversed L shaped steel plates at the ends allowing for a smooth ride onto and off the ramp.

The finalized things were painted and bolted to the concrete ramp to avoid moving with the car's torque.

They're good but not perfect, I'll post more pix.
Hello agp22: I can relate to your headache there. Based on the way it appears in your pic, those ramps are not strong enough to withstand the weight of the car. Adding those miniscule legs don't do the tricks. Also, the overall length is too short to assure enough clearance in that slope angle. My suggestion is that first, custom fabricate one piec ramp made out of thicker, sheet metal w/ ribbed surface (something you see in emergency stairs, it's got bumpy, cross hatched metal protruberances). The overall length should be at least twice the existing, one piece of slab. Have both edges bent perpendicular for support. For additional support, you can remove the narrow, gutter covering beneath the custom slab and weld strong metal sheet as vertical supports to fit within & along the gutters for vertical support and prevent the whole slab from moving. Additional wedge-shaped support legs can be welded to the aformentioned "in the gutter supports" perpendicularly (along the long axis). By increasing the overall length, you'll gain much better clearance. By the way, I think the length should increase more toward the garage door too (seems like it is not flush to the garage floor height there). All of the said suggestions would be relatively easy and not terribly expensive to order if you can have a professional welder/shop to customize the said steel ramp. Hope this serves as some food for thought. Here in Japan, because of the terain and tightness, I see all kinds of similar ramps everywhere. You won't believe some of the designs and they seem to work just fine. Good luck. w/ smiles Jimmy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode