Deciding between a Lotus Esprit, Ferrari 348TB or Testarossa - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-07-2003, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
Deciding between a Lotus Esprit, Ferrari 348TB or Testarossa

Hi,

I am looking for anyone who has opinions about the cars mentioned.

Obviously the Lotus is a lot cheaper than the others, I would take this car as a last resort if i can not possibly find either Ferraris.

My first choice is the Testarossa. The design and presence is too good to miss. I have read most comments about the Testarossa on this forum, and had come to the conclusion that it is a good car for a collector. Yes, fuel consumption is high (who cares) and maintenance sounds ok but is it a good car for regular use? (ie. driven 1-2 times per week, or 100kms a week).

I'm aware that overall, the cost of owning the Testarossa may test my budget, so I am also looking at the 348tb which appears to be a more user-friendly car (more like the Lotus) and a little cheaper to own. To me, its kind of like a mini Testarossa.

I can get either Ferraris at around the same price.

The Lotus is an underrated car, despite having only 4 cylinders, its the kind of car that one can drive every day at a supercar performance.

I hope that i can buy any of these cars to keep for a long time. I'm not interested in re-selling (unless something happens) or collecting, I'm serious about keeping it and maintaining it like it is part of the family. I also want to drive it (i.e. a lot), and not keep it in the garage its whole life.

My heart is on the Testarossa, but my head says 348. My mum says Lotus (think of the money you'll save in the long run she says! :-)

I think i can afford either Ferraris, but just not sure what might happen in the long run and when they will happen (I'm not married and i still live with my parents :-) ).

What would you do if you were in my shoes? I live in Japan, so anyone that knows any dealers here please let me know, Thanks!

P.S. Also, do people re-spray their Ferraris? Do you get a Ferrari shop to do this, or just any reputable paint shop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-08-2003, 04:50 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 6
Inuyahsha, I agonized over the exact same decision. My head said 348 but my heart said Testarossa. I owned a 348 spider several years ago and it proved to be a fun and very reliable car. Unfortunately it did not give me the adrenaline rush I got from just looking at the Testarossa. I sold the 348 after driving it for a year. To make a long story short. I just purchased a 1988.5 Red TR with black interior. While I do not expect it to be as reliable as the 348, for me the tradeoff is worth it. The car is blindingly fast -- and gorgeous to look at! It turns heads more than any other car I own (perhaps except for my Viper) My opinion -- go for the Testarossa. pd :roll:
post #3 of 7 Old 05-09-2003, 02:46 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by davisp
Inuyahsha, I agonized over the exact same decision. My head said 348 but my heart said Testarossa. I owned a 348 spider several years ago and it proved to be a fun and very reliable car. Unfortunately it did not give me the adrenaline rush I got from just looking at the Testarossa. I sold the 348 after driving it for a year. To make a long story short. I just purchased a 1988.5 Red TR with black interior. While I do not expect it to be as reliable as the 348, for me the tradeoff is worth it. The car is blindingly fast -- and gorgeous to look at! It turns heads more than any other car I own (perhaps except for my Viper) My opinion -- go for the Testarossa. pd :roll:
Davisp,
Congrats on the switch. Hope to hear more from you about this wonderful machine. Do you plan to do any repair/maintance yourself?

post #4 of 7 Old 05-10-2003, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

Well thanks for the replies folks

I've decided to get my information from the local fans, since I'm not getting much info here.

Have a nice day!
post #5 of 7 Old 05-11-2003, 01:18 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Re: Well thanks for the replies folks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuyasha
I've decided to get my information from the local fans, since I'm not getting much info here.

Have a nice day!
Local fans? I've had trouble finding local fans here in Tokyo. There is one other member on here from Japan. With the 348 vs Testarossa I personally would get the Testarossa as I like it more. I think the 348 can give you more problems in the long run. I also like the V12 over the V8. You probably know most the pluses and minuses so weight them and that should make your final decision.

For dealers you have lots of choices. Find the magazine Scuderia at any large book store or Rosso for dealer listings. What part of Japan do you live? If Tokyo there is a dealer called Cornes www.e-cornes.com There is Art Sports www.artsports.co.jp (also in Osaka) Auto Garage Motoyama , S.S. Company LTD. There is also a small dealer in Yokohama (sorry I don't remember the exact location) and a dealer in Shinagawa (maybe Art Sports, I'm not sure) and there is a dealer near Ochanomizu (one stop from there on the Chiyoda line).
post #6 of 7 Old 05-13-2003, 05:15 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 30
The Old and squared Lotus Sprit of the early 80's have a lot of style, according to me(not the new ones). But I would go with a Testarossa!
post #7 of 7 Old 05-15-2003, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

Back

There are quite a number of enthusiasts here in Japan.

Thanks for the links though, I am very interested in the 348 and am reading everything that I can find about it (reviews etc etc).

Can anyone lead me to any reviews by autocar or motortrend?

Some people have strongly suggested the NSX, so I'm getting confused.

I already have a Nissan GTR.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode