Looked at a bad 348 yesterday - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 04-28-2003, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 167
Looked at a bad 348 yesterday

I looked at a blue 348 yesterday in London (round trip of 300 miles). The guy selling it had described it as the best 348 available.

On my way down I had a friend HPI check it and he told me it was a two owner car with no outstanding finance or recorded damage.

When I got there I was very disappointed. The service history was fully stamped with a gap from 1997 to a service in April this year. Under the stamp for the most recent service was written "Cambelt Service" in black biro but there was no invoice to support this so I was dubious. The car seemed to have covered 15,000 miles during this gap in the history and there were no invoices to support any of the other services either.

The car really was very shoddy and without going into full details I noticed the following:

1. 3 tyres bald

2. damage to the fins on the drivers door where it had been opened in a tight garage

3. several areas needing paint ie rusty wheel arches, door bottoms and various scratches

4. neither the bonnet nor boot would stay open on their own

5. kerbing damage to some of the wheels along with corrosion showing under the silver finish and corroded centre badges

6. the removable roof was very shoddy with two large scratches down it

7. the interior was awful, it was cream but was cracked, worn and dirty. Also someone seemed to have tried sticking something over the airvents (maybe carbon fibre style finish?) and they were covered in some kind of horrible black sticky stuff

8. In fact, every time I started looking at any single part of the car there seemed to be something not right with it and this was all before getting QV to check it over mechanically.

The owner seemed surprised when I didn't even try to make an offer but decided to leave it well alone.

Before I waste any more time or fuel going to see another one I'm going to make an exhaustive list of questions to ask the vendor and not just rely on their opinion that its a fantastic car!

Oh well, I'm sure the right car will turn up eventually.

Justyn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-28-2003, 03:51 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,082
I'm sorry to hear that Justin
did you even bother to ask if he could start the car?
post #3 of 15 Old 04-28-2003, 03:57 AM Thread Starter

We did start the car and took it for a test drive. It did seem to drive nicely and there were no whines from the gearbox which I was warned to look out for.

However whilst driving it I found that the drivers seatbelt was sticking and took some persuading to pull out, one of the electric windows was not working properly and I didn't bother looking for anything else that was wrong.

I have seen another advertised, its 34k Sterling and I'm just emailing the owner an exhaustive set of questions befroe I decide whether to spend another day travelling to see it. Here's the advert:

348 TS
RHD, 1994, Medio Blue with Crema Hide, 34,000 miles and in mint condition, FSH and just cam belted (02/03). Cat 1 Alarm, multi stack CD player, aircon, remote central locking, kept in dehumidified garage and dry miles only. 34,000. No expense has been spared in maintaining this car.

post #4 of 15 Old 04-28-2003, 04:03 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 94
Sorry to hear that Justyn. Better luck next time.

Whats your budget, and where are you looking (websites etc?)

Adnaan
post #5 of 15 Old 04-28-2003, 04:09 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,082
a blue 348??
that's not something that you see a lot
post #6 of 15 Old 04-28-2003, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

My budget is around 35k sterling. I've just seen one for 34k on the Ferrari owners club site: http://www.ferrariownersclub.co.uk/ which I am finding out about.

The bad one I looked at in London was on the Autotrader website and was 29k for "a quick sale".

I also get the top-marques magazine and various classic car mags.

As I mentioned in a previous post last week, I am looking for a blue one as in my opinion they look very nice and are different to the more common colours.

Justyn.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-28-2003, 05:29 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
I was going to comment on that "quick sales" as I was reading your post. I think he knows the car is in bad shape. The other ad looks like a better lead. Notice he tells more than just the car's condition but also its experience over the years. If everything is true such as the garage and only dry weather then that car should look awesome. Here is another suggestion, ask the owner if he has a digicam to take some pictures. Now you know why the other guy sent you a small dealer picture. The other guy will hopefully not be afraid to send you some nice close ups.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-28-2003, 12:01 PM
Owner

Justyn

If you dont mind LHD go for a 355. Its a much better car than the 348 (even though I am a fan of 348s). They seem to be holding their values better too. In all I think the running costs are similar if not the same.

A
post #9 of 15 Old 04-28-2003, 04:38 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
You remember I thought the price on that car seemed a bit low? I guess now we know why! I wouldn't feel too bad about it though, I think it was worth the trip to go and see it. You are now armed with a bit more knowledge for the next one that comes around.

Good luck and keep hunting!

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #10 of 15 Old 04-29-2003, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

I would love a 355 but I couldn't put up with LHD I'm afraid. My top budget is 35k sterling & I don't think I will find a RHD 355 for that price unless its a wreck.

I had a reply email from the guy selling the blue 348 for 34k and it sounds like a genuinely pampered car with a rock solid history. He said if I find a single spot of rust on it I can hit him!

Hopefully I'll be arranging to go and view the car sometime soon so I'll keep my fingers crossed

I'm now advertising my Porsche as I'm gonna run out of room if I buy another car.

Justyn.
post #11 of 15 Old 04-29-2003, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Oh, I forgot something, here is a piccie of the car. He is also taking more pics of the exterior & interior for me.

Justyn.
Attached Images

post #12 of 15 Old 04-29-2003, 01:17 AM
Owner

If you cant live with LHD thats fine. Ive spent time living in Luxembourg, US and Saudi which are all LHD cars so im ok with them. And you are right about trying to find a RHD 355 in your budget. Stick with a 348.

The car you posted pictures for sounds like a good one. Seems like its been well cared for, and kept how i would keep a ferrari.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
post #13 of 15 Old 04-29-2003, 10:41 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,696
A car is a car. A willing buyer from a willing seller makes a good deal.

12 cylinders or walk
post #14 of 15 Old 05-03-2003, 05:07 PM
Owner

Justyn

If you can stretch another 5K you may possibly have a bargin. A 355 RHD for less than 40K! But read on and it will all be clear.

Registration Year: 1997 (P)
Mileage: 18000
Colours: Tour De France Blue Metallic with full Crema Leather
Damage: N/A
Notes: Has had light front damage in 1999 and repaired in 2000 (Storred since). Needs front plastic mud shields and undertray to finish. New MOT and drives perfectly
Price: 39,975
Attached Images

post #15 of 15 Old 05-05-2003, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for that. I had already seen that advert!

It sounds like the same car as this one for sale on the Ferrari owners website. I shyed away because it is recorded on the HPI register due to the damage it had received.

>>>F355 GTS
1997, P reg. Le Mans blue/crema hide. 16k miles. Was lightly damaged and professionally repaired by Ferrari approved bodyshop two years ago, needs minor cosmetic repairs to make perfect. 35000 ono. <<<

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode