best wax - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 04-27-2003, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 40
best wax

Does anyone have a preference for car wax. Does Ferrari paint seem to respond better to any particular brand?

Has Ferrari ever endorsed a certain brand?

steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-27-2003, 10:49 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 575
Since the paint on my car is not concours, Turtle Wax suits it fine (Even though its a black car, it really does a nice job!).
post #3 of 23 Old 04-28-2003, 05:45 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
I perfer Meguiars but there are many products out there that are good. There is a user on here named "detailingman" look for a post started by him below and private message him. He can give you lots of help I'm sure.

post #4 of 23 Old 04-28-2003, 04:22 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 132
i like meguiers and griots!
post #5 of 23 Old 04-29-2003, 07:32 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 35
WAX

I have a black Pantera . I tried alot of products. I use Zymol to wax and Meguiars Final finish to keep it clean between waxes. No swirls, no fine scratch and the finish looks like a mirror. My 308 is red and this system works great on it TOO!
RC 8)
post #6 of 23 Old 05-13-2003, 05:59 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 45
3M is a good product, but Mothers I beleive is the best I used.
post #7 of 23 Old 05-13-2003, 07:57 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Meguiars won my business the day I saw on their bottle they have an 800 number. You call them, tell them what car you have, year, condition, what you want etc and the guy tells you what is their best products for the job you want. Very cool, I'm not sure the others do this.
post #8 of 23 Old 05-13-2003, 08:56 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 36
Zaino (Zaino Brothers) Show Car polish. Gives an unbelievable shine.

Their homepage:
http://www.zainobros.com/index.shtml

Mark
post #9 of 23 Old 05-13-2003, 09:00 AM

i have black paint fellows, what do you think will wok best then? i have been using mothers for years, but i am willing to change if something is better. thoughts?
post #10 of 23 Old 05-13-2003, 03:32 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 6
Zaino brothers without question. I use it on my Viper, Porsche, hemi cuda and TR. Incredibly deep shine! pd
post #11 of 23 Old 05-14-2003, 04:06 AM

i am going to try it then. thanks guys!
post #12 of 23 Old 05-14-2003, 02:46 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
I think I am going to give Zaino a try also.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #13 of 23 Old 05-26-2003, 05:19 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 6
Follow the zaino instructions to the letter and i promise you will not be dissapointed! PD
post #14 of 23 Old 06-01-2003, 10:59 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by '75 308 GT4 (Peter)
Since the paint on my car is not concours, Turtle Wax suits it fine (Even though its a black car, it really does a nice job!).
I thought I'd update my comments here.

I did a thorough detailing job on my car this past weekend (getting ready for some upcoming car shows) and I tried some products by Griot's Garage.

Holy smokes does the car look awesome now! :green:

I started off with a good cleaning, then used their fine hand polish to clean up the paint. Topped off with their "Best of Show" wax. The wax required lots of effort to rub out, but man the paint is like glass now...
post #15 of 23 Old 06-08-2008, 03:29 PM

Here are some sealant/wax suggestions I have for everyone to try:
-P21S/S100 (S100 is a less expensive version of P21S, but it is the same product) These products are the easiest, fastest that I've used, and the results are beautiful
-the Zaino line...z2 pro, z5, z6, z8. The initial process takes a while, with a mandatory 1/2 hour wait time minimum before coats, and only three coats a day, but the line truly last a very long time and the shine is certainly strong. In my opinion, the shine is a little sterile in comparison to the deeper, richer, wetter looks of the better carnauba waxes
-Collinite 476S...as a winter wax, nothing lasts longer as a carnauba-based product
-Klasse All In One...this is an old-school product that helps to clean the paint while at the same time creates a very slick, glossy finish. This is another very easy to use product in terms of application and removal. Top it off with Klasse Sealant Glaze
-Optimum Optiseal/Zaino Clearseal...similar products, they offer protection without the need to wipe-off residue. Wipe on and that's it. No need to remove anything. The major issues with these products are the fact that they tend to streak if too much is applied

ENJOY!
post #16 of 23 Old 06-08-2008, 03:37 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,045
Thanks for information, it is great to have a professional around. :thumbup:
post #17 of 23 Old 06-08-2008, 05:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 57
How about wet sanding? I drove to my detailers shop about a week ago and they were wet sanding a red ferrari. I thought the car was very shiny prior to starting, but when these guys were done, Wow! it was like glass. There wasn't a scratch in sight. I think to finish it off they use a CarBrite product and Mothers wax, not sure.

Alex
post #18 of 23 Old 06-09-2008, 08:05 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 603
I only use Zymol now. I think vintage is one of the best products they do and the more layers you apply, the better it looks.
post #19 of 23 Old 06-09-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIVERA View Post
How about wet sanding? I drove to my detailers shop about a week ago and they were wet sanding a red ferrari. I thought the car was very shiny prior to starting, but when these guys were done, Wow! it was like glass. There wasn't a scratch in sight. I think to finish it off they use a CarBrite product and Mothers wax, not sure.

Alex
Alex,
Wet sanding is a great way to bring out the absolute ultimate shine and clarity of reflection in a vehicle. Wet sanding flattens paint completely to allow the paint to better reflect. From the factory, most car paints are slightly uneven, resulting in a wavey reflection. The uneven paint is known as orange peel, and this seems to be most obvious on Chevrolet vehicles, in my opinion. The drawback to such heavy work is the fact that your clearcoat or paint (for older vehicles without clearcoat) will be thinner, reducing the amount of workability you have with the surface to remove swirls and light scratches.

Last edited by cpdetailing; 06-09-2008 at 08:36 AM. Reason: adding info...
post #20 of 23 Old 06-19-2008, 01:01 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 17
Wet sanding sounds a little to rough for my taste. Why not try to use a polishing machine after washing and claying your car ? I would think that one or two times over with a high class paint restorer should remove most swirlmaks and spiderwebs from the paint.
Try to look at some of the videos on www.autogeek.net to see how it is done. The products sold there are very good, and you can find comments on a lot of them from "geeks with polishing machines"
Then finish off with a carnuba wax, and you car will look better than new

To be honest, I think that there are so many different products out there, and everybody have an opinion about them, so getting a "simple" answer to the question asked here is almost impossible. You can see all the different brands mentioned allready - BUT one thing is certain: THE RESULT WILL BE EQUAL TO THE TIME SPEND ON THE JOB ! No matter what product you choose to use.

Best regards

Erik B

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode