Living with a 2+2 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-24-2003, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 94
Living with a 2+2

Been looking at the site for a while and been finding it really useful (Love the site Enzo). Im a massive fan of Ferrari cars, and been thinking about buying one for a while. Now im getting very serious and have been looking round for something in my budget range.

The models im looking for is either a Mondial 8/QV, or a 400/400i with or without a manual box. Im looking to buy something that other than a service is sound, as im useless with a spanner!

My question goes out to all owners but particularly to the owners of these models. How reliable or otherwise are these cars? Im interested in horror stories as well as the good ones. What sort horror repair bills have you guys had, and what typically goes wrong.

Ive been reading the previous posts for a few weeks now, especially the ones on the Mondials (as this is the one im really after). Im planning on buying it before the summer and then going on a 2/3 week driving holiday round Europe with the family (including a visit to Maranello). Is this wise or can I expect the car to break down on me? :question:

Dane I love your car!

I appreciate the comments and help in advance.

Adnaan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-25-2003, 03:59 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
I have had my car for about a year now and the only problems I have had has been with the ignition system. My car had a point type ignition and the points just plain wore out. I do all my own work and if I was going to pull the distributors out I was not going to be putting them back in with points. I converted it to electronic ignition. That is really the only major problem I have had and it cost me $500. The A/C doesn't work on my car but Maine isn't that hot of a place so I am not going to fix it. I bet that would be real expensive.

The Mondial already has electronic ignition and from my understanding is very reliable. It has a reliable fuel injection system also. When you get the car, you want to get one that has had a recent major service. If the camshaft belt breaks the pistons can hit the valves and that is excrutiatingly expensive.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #3 of 6 Old 04-25-2003, 06:53 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Adnaan,
Welcome to the forum! Simon can help you out with questions on the 400. Both are in my understanding reliable cars. As far as 3 weeks of traveling goes that shouldn't be a problem either, if your going to travel far of course do the obvious and have the oil changed before departure and the battery check. Let us know how the search goes and what you decide.

post #4 of 6 Old 04-25-2003, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 94
Enzo, thanks for the welcome! I’ve seen Simon site, and its another one that has me glued.

From what I hear the mondial is more reliable than the 400 series, and certainly cheaper to run. Ive read in various places about massive running costs for the 400s and wanted to know if there is any truth in it.

In terms of mechanical, I will almost certainly have the car inspected before I buy it, so hopefully I will avoid buying a car with an engine about to collapse on me. Also unless its recently had a major service done, I will probably have one done. Firstly for piece of mind, but also because im going to keep it for a few years, so it’s a cost I’ll have to face sooner or later.

I also hear that not driving a car is not good. I will generally use it on every weekend so it should get plenty of usage. Pete how miles are you doing a year?
post #5 of 6 Old 04-25-2003, 08:29 AM
Owner
Elite Member

I generally will put less than 3,000 miles a year on the car. I work offshore on a 3 week on - 3 week off rotation, I don't drive it in bad weather and I put it up for the winter. But when I do drive it, I make sure that it gets fully warmed up and try to drive it for at least 20 minutes after it is at full operating temperature, this is very important. I have a couple other "toys" so I have to try and run them all in a rotation. :green:

When I bought the car, the dealer disclosed that it had a few small leaks. He pointed them all out to me and even gave me the new seals to repair the leaks. Well, when I got home and started driving the car - guess what? All the leaks stopped. Seems that while the car had been sitting at the dealer the seals had dryed out and started to leak. When I started driving the car the seals got lubricated and swelled up a bit to the fresh oil flow and started doing what they were supposed to do. So that is why it is important to keep the car running, it keeps everything oiled and protected.

Capt. Pete
post #6 of 6 Old 04-25-2003, 08:31 AM
Owner
Elite Member

I just thought of a quote that may be applicable --

"Objects in motion tend to stay in motion. Objects at rest tend to stay at rest."

Your basic high school physics but I think it applies to Ferraris also.
:green: :green: :green:

Capt. Pete

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode