Pictures of my Mondial 8 project.... - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 04-01-2008, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 19
Pictures of my Mondial 8 project....

Sorry it took so long to post these!

If you notice anything in funny, besides the push start button, raise you hand and let me know please.

I've done a lot of research on Ferrari lately and in particular this model. Only to find out that overhauling this mild v8 is just as expensive as purchasing a rebuilt one on exchange. Then, god knows what other issues will nickel and dime me to death when swapping it out. I don't know the condition of the clutch, and can't seem to find any parts for it being the first model 8. Every other model Mondial has clutch parts available. I wonder if they are the same, just not listed as such?

Any way, I will continue to take photos as I progress.

It's looking like a totaling of around 22k- to 25k to really be able to call this beauty road worthy. This estimate is having the work done for me. I will be able to shave about 5k off this estimate if I do the work myself, considering this an actual possibility.

Slightly discouraged, but optimistic as I research more. My Baby needs some serious loving care. I would hate to see her parted out

Oh and don't mind my mess. I'm kind of spread thin these days, with two jobs, two hockey teams, snowboarding, and climbing season around the corner.

A bientot!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondial8owner View Post
Sorry it took so long to post these!

If you notice anything in funny, besides the push start button, raise you hand and let me know please.

I've done a lot of research on Ferrari lately and in particular this model. Only to find out that overhauling this mild v8 is just as expensive as purchasing a rebuilt one on exchange. Then, god knows what other issues will nickel and dime me to death when swapping it out. I don't know the condition of the clutch, and can't seem to find any parts for it being the first model 8. Every other model Mondial has clutch parts available. I wonder if they are the same, just not listed as such?

Any way, I will continue to take photos as I progress.

It's looking like a totaling of around 22k- to 25k to really be able to call this beauty road worthy. This estimate is having the work done for me. I will be able to shave about 5k off this estimate if I do the work myself, considering this an actual possibility.

Slightly discouraged, but optimistic as I research more. My Baby needs some serious loving care. I would hate to see her parted out

Oh and don't mind my mess. I'm kind of spread thin these days, with two jobs, two hockey teams, snowboarding, and climbing season around the corner.

A bientot!
Dear Comrade Mondial8owner,

From the images portrayed the car would appear to be in excellent condition. And certainly its condition belies the mileage. In fact the condition is more commensurate with twenty four thousand miles. I look forward to seeing more images.

With kind regards,

Vulcan
post #3 of 14 Old 04-01-2008, 02:58 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan F-40 View Post
Dear Comrade Mondial8owner,

From the images portrayed the car would appear to be in excellent condition. And certainly its condition belies the mileage. In fact the condition is more commensurate with twenty four thousand miles. I look forward to seeing more images.

With kind regards,

Vulcan
I agree with you, the car looks very well for that many miles. There are some chips in the paint, but I can't imagine that costing much. Mondial8owner, would you mind posting some images of the engine bay? I'm guessing thats where most of the work would need to be done to become road worthy....cause as the pictures look, I would call that pretty road worthy.

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete

post #4 of 14 Old 04-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
If you can purchase the rebuilt motor with exchange than that should be the route you go. It is all done and you've got a warranty. I think you have estimated high in your projected cost, maybe not but at least you are being cautious. I do think this car is far from being a parts buggy.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #5 of 14 Old 04-02-2008, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Here are the photos you requested. Have a great day!
She's pretty neat under all the grime.

Christian
Attached Images

post #6 of 14 Old 04-02-2008, 04:56 PM

It still doesn't look terrible in the engine bay... Did you post in another thread about what is exactly wrong with her?

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
post #7 of 14 Old 04-03-2008, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Owner

The story as I come to understand it.

Well, I bought it from a guy who bought it from a guy that had it in storage. I'm not sure how long it was there, possibly a long time by the looks of the mice droppings in the front compartment. He had the fuel distributer and warm up regulator rebuilt and she started right up. He was driving it for about a week when the engine started making a bearing noise( so he says? ). I towed it home and after two days of not knowing for myself and listening to the engine in idle (I couldn't tell that there was even a problem), I backed her up a bit and then tried to drive her forward. (enter the knocking and lunging) Something is seriously wrong in there. I don't have a current place to tear into the engine (not to mention that I really don't have much experience). Let me add that I'm not afraid of the task. I really want to do this all myself and have been looking into my options. Parts are accessible, but not cheap. biggest thing here is that I don't want a non-running project ferrari sitting to long. I'm itching to drive her and I'm now thinking of having the work done for me. I can't seem find a mechanic willing to overhaul and tie up a lift for a while (still looking) . The local ferrari service told me 30k to overhaul. ( they just laugh at what I have anyway, very unprofessional). There is some truth in the saying that there is no such thing as a cheap ferrari. Relatively speaking, however, this one just might not break the bank if I can find the right avenues. I have found a quatrovalve engine with 28,000 miles on it, but I'm not sure that the fuel injection system that I have on the 2 valve will work on it. See my post in the workshop forum to see a reply to my question on the possiblity of the upgrade.

Should I start a new thread for progress as I bring her back from the dead, or would it be better to just continue here? I'm really new to all of this forum stuff. Thanks for the interest. It's nice to know there are people out there that care about the older models. I guess only 700 coupes were made (mondial 8) during the 2-1/2 years they started. I worry about certain parts, if she were ever to be in an accident.

Cheers!

Christian
post #8 of 14 Old 04-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 61
Mondial 8

Hi Christian, . Drain the oil and remove the oil pan, see if there is any metal pieces in the pan. You may need a rod, piston and liner? Can you turn the engine over by hand(remove the spark plugs) with out the engine binding? I believe the 4 valve engine can use the same fuel injection.
Once the engine is out you may be able to repair your engine. My suggestion would be to remove the engine carriage assembly and open up the engine. . However if I had the choice, I would get the 4 valve engine and install it and install my 2 valve fuel injection and intake parts to the 4 valve engine. Sell the 2 valve parts to help pay for the 4 valve engine.

Take pictures

Charles
post #9 of 14 Old 04-10-2008, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks for the response...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKRacing View Post
Hi Christian, . Drain the oil and remove the oil pan, see if there is any metal pieces in the pan. You may need a rod, piston and liner? Can you turn the engine over by hand(remove the spark plugs) with out the engine binding? I believe the 4 valve engine can use the same fuel injection.
Once the engine is out you may be able to repair your engine. My suggestion would be to remove the engine carriage assembly and open up the engine. . However if I had the choice, I would get the 4 valve engine and install it and install my 2 valve fuel injection and intake parts to the 4 valve engine. Sell the 2 valve parts to help pay for the 4 valve engine.

Take pictures

Charles
I am currently looking at a build for shop space so I can actually pull the engine out. I don't think jack stands will give me the clearance to remove the whole thing. I still need to figure out a lift system for my future shop as well.
I may need to just gather the parts and find a mechanic with a lift, if I'm to be timely with this project.

The engine starts just fine and only sounds a little out of time. When revved or put in gear it starts to knock. I've only done this once to see what I was dealing with. I hope I didn't cause any additional damage. Does this satisfy your turning over question?

Do you think I should bother to remove the oil pan to look for metal, when the long block needs an overhaul for certain anyway?

I appreciate the support, and by the way is this Russ guy the same Russ that you sugessted that I talk to that has replied to my other thread in the workshop forum? I sent him an email but received no reply.

Christian.
post #10 of 14 Old 04-10-2008, 12:40 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 298
Quote:
Should I start a new thread for progress as I bring her back from the dead, or would it be better to just continue here? I'm really new to all of this forum stuff. Thanks for the interest. It's nice to know there are people out there that care about the older models. I guess only 700 coupes were made (mondial 8) during the 2-1/2 years they started. I worry about certain parts, if she were ever to be in an accident.

Cheers!

Christian
It would be great if you could start a new thread in the Workshop section:

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56

Resources: Parts List | Buyer's Guides
post #11 of 14 Old 04-10-2008, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Owner

other thread started...

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamtaylor View Post
It would be great if you could start a new thread in the Workshop section:

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56
I have posed a question in the workshop forum about swapping my 2v to 4v.

titled QUADRAVALVE IN A MONDIAL 8

I will continue with that thread so I don't make a mess of this wonderful forum.

Thanks for the reply....

Christian
post #12 of 14 Old 04-10-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I have posed a question in the workshop forum about swapping my 2v to 4v.

titled QUADRAVALVE IN A MONDIAL 8

I will continue with that thread so I don't make a mess of this wonderful forum.

Thanks for the reply....

Christian
You definitely are not making a mess of the forum

Chris

post #13 of 14 Old 05-23-2008, 08:37 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 81
Christian,

I think that is the Mondial that the guy up in Centerville had? I took a look at it, but it had too much that it needed for me. Either the bearings are out of it in the bottom end, or one of the con rods are broken. In either case don't try to drive it like it is.

Dave's auto service up there in Centerville works on Ferrari's, I know a guy who gets all of the service done on his Testarossa done there! You may want to give him a call and see what he can do for you. I usually do all of my own work. I work just off 106th south. Let me know if you need some help.

Dave
post #14 of 14 Old 05-23-2008, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Owner

hi dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by desotodave View Post
Christian,

I think that is the Mondial that the guy up in Centerville had? I took a look at it, but it had too much that it needed for me. Either the bearings are out of it in the bottom end, or one of the con rods are broken. In either case don't try to drive it like it is.

Dave's auto service up there in Centerville works on Ferrari's, I know a guy who gets all of the service done on his Testarossa done there! You may want to give him a call and see what he can do for you. I usually do all of my own work. I work just off 106th south. Let me know if you need some help.

Dave
thanks for the information.

I've been trying to find someone local to work on it, but haven't had any luck.
I've talked to a few independent shops out of state but haven't taken any action.

Yes this is the same Mondial that was in Centerville. The car overall has cleaned up nicely. Now it's time to get her drivable again. I'm pretty sure there is a broken rod. With the cost of just repairing this 2 valve, I've been looking into a used 4 valve and retrofitting carbs, but have not really done anything yet. The car is now in Sandy off of 8600 south. looks like I live just by where you work. Anyway, thanks for finding me and giving me the shop info. I will call Dave's shop and talk to them, and see what they think.

Thanks again. You can call me if you have any other suggestions or just want to bs. Christian 801-631-3681

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode