RWD only or AWD also ok - Ferrari Life
View Poll Results: Only RWD or AWD also ok
Only RWD 3 37.50%
AWD also ok 5 62.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-26-2008, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Ferrari Life Posts: 56
RWD only or AWD also ok

If it should be considered a "true" sports car can it be an AWD?

I like some sports cars other than Ferraris. I for example like the Gallardo and Murciélago. But I don't really consider them "true" sports cars due to their AWD. I mean even the Gallardo Superleggera's got it. :-( The most desirable Lambo to me is the GT and to a large extent due to the fact that it's RWD.

http://www.autosalon-singen.de/Katal...&languageID=de

A true devil in all positive aspects of the word. :-)

I think something in the meaning of a sports cars is lost when made an AWD. The AWD Lambos, 911 AWDs, Veyron are all less then what they could have been if you ask me. How about you?

-- Target: 288 GTO --
ferrariforum is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 03-26-2008, 06:07 AM
 
Chrishawk4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
I think that AWD can also be considered a true sports car, because Lamborghinis like Ferraris are definitely sports cars. Porsche 911 4S is AWD and I believe thats a sports car is. I don't believe that RWD makes a car a sports car. That is just my 2 cents

Chris

“ To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.”-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
Chrishawk4 is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 03-26-2008, 06:46 AM
Owner
 
agp22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Ferrari Life Posts: 374
If AWD or FWD was really good, then single seaters (Formula cars) and prototypes would have that kind of dynamics.

So really, the perfect thing for high speed driving must be what is visible on the tracks with central engines and RWD.

AWD simply allow more unskilled people to drive powerful cars, and consequently increase sales.

But for me, a true sports car is RWD, and you want to make sure the front is adequately aimed when you put your foot down when exiting a corner.

... racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting... (Steve McQueen / Le Mans)
agp22 is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 Old 03-26-2008, 09:28 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by agp22 View Post
If AWD or FWD was really good, then single seaters (Formula cars) and prototypes would have that kind of dynamics.

So really, the perfect thing for high speed driving must be what is visible on the tracks with central engines and RWD.

AWD simply allow more unskilled people to drive powerful cars, and consequently increase sales.

But for me, a true sports car is RWD, and you want to make sure the front is adequately aimed when you put your foot down when exiting a corner.
+1
Boxer is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 03-26-2008, 09:47 AM
Owner
 
JazzyO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
A Dutch mate of mine has a Gallardo Spyder and he travels more sideways than forwards. The thing just loves to burn rubber and flick its tail. It's got plenty of power (more than my 550 and weighs less), outrageous looks and awesome sound. So, yes, to me it ticks all the sportscar boxes.

But I do think it's an exception - in general RWD is the way to go. And I certainly wouldn't applaud Ferrari for building a AWD car!


Onno



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
JazzyO is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 03-26-2008, 09:56 AM
 
Chrishawk4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
A Dutch mate of mine has a Gallardo Spyder and he travels more sideways than forwards. The thing just loves to burn rubber and flick its tail. It's got plenty of power (more than my 550 and weighs less), outrageous looks and awesome sound. So, yes, to me it ticks all the sportscar boxes.


But I do think it's an exception - in general RWD is the way to go. And I certainly wouldn't applaud Ferrari for building a AWD car!


Onno
I agree, I would not want to see Ferrari make an AWD.

Chris

“ To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.”-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
Chrishawk4 is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 03-26-2008, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Ferrari Life Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by agp22 View Post
If AWD or FWD was really good, then single seaters (Formula cars) and prototypes would have that kind of dynamics.

So really, the perfect thing for high speed driving must be what is visible on the tracks with central engines and RWD.

AWD simply allow more unskilled people to drive powerful cars, and consequently increase sales.

But for me, a true sports car is RWD, and you want to make sure the front is adequately aimed when you put your foot down when exiting a corner.
Even if I agree with your RWD-choice I have to say that in racing it all comes down to regulations. If engine power is regulated (like more or less in F1 today) combined with tyres with "enough" grip, then RWD is the best choice since the minimum allowed weight is also relatively low. And if that wasn't the case it still wouldn't matter since AWD is not allowed. :-)

But in standard car racing (at least in Europe) there has been certain times with regulations that lead to AWD cars to be outstanding. If everything but cost is variable there are so many things that affect if AWD or RWD is the best on a track.

But like You I also think the main cause AWD is there is expected higher sales figures.

-- Target: 288 GTO --
ferrariforum is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 03-26-2008, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Ferrari Life Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
A Dutch mate of mine has a Gallardo Spyder and he travels more sideways than forwards. The thing just loves to burn rubber and flick its tail. It's got plenty of power (more than my 550 and weighs less), outrageous looks and awesome sound. So, yes, to me it ticks all the sportscar boxes.

But I do think it's an exception - in general RWD is the way to go. And I certainly wouldn't applaud Ferrari for building a AWD car!


Onno
But that's the thing. Could it not flick it's RWD-tail instead? What good does the AWD do to the Gallardo? Why is it there? And if it should be, why isn't there a RWD-version? That's really my BIG question.

If I've decided to buy a ports car, then in my mind I do not want a regular car (I want a car with better performance, handling and dynamics) so then why do I want/need the extra weight?

As far as Ferrari is concerned luckily Fiat is not into AWD as much as VW. :-)

-- Target: 288 GTO --
ferrariforum is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 03-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Owner
 
agp22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Ferrari Life Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrariforum View Post
Even if I agree with your RWD-choice I have to say that in racing it all comes down to regulations. If engine power is regulated (like more or less in F1 today) combined with tyres with "enough" grip, then RWD is the best choice since the minimum allowed weight is also relatively low. And if that wasn't the case it still wouldn't matter since AWD is not allowed. :-)

But in standard car racing (at least in Europe) there has been certain times with regulations that lead to AWD cars to be outstanding. If everything but cost is variable there are so many things that affect if AWD or RWD is the best on a track.

But like You I also think the main cause AWD is there is expected higher sales figures.
Regulations are probably against AWD because the major players are not interested in it.

If I'm not mistaken, it was after Lotus, Matra and McLaren gave up testing the AWD Formula 1 cars that the regulations banned them. Not before that.

In Rallies you will notice that AWD makes sense and therefore it is allowed.

Anyway as we are really discussing personal choice here, everyone can speak for himself, and I say Sportscars=RWD.

... racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting... (Steve McQueen / Le Mans)
agp22 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 03-26-2008, 11:29 PM
Owner
 
JazzyO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrariforum View Post
why isn't there a RWD-version? That's really my BIG question.
Yes, that is the big question. I think Lambo feels that with all this power 4WD just makes the cars more controllable. There is no doubt that a RWD-only Gallardo would be more difficult to tame, particularly if you want to use the car in the dismal weather we have in Europe. Ferrari uses the computer-aids to temper the F430, Lambo chooses the AWD. From a purist perspective, you could argue that using mechanical solutions is preferable to software solutions. On the other hand, you can switch off the software aids.

In summary, I have weak spot for the Gallardo and I think it's an awesome car. If I had the dosh, however, I would most likely still buy an F430 but it would be a difficult decision. And the AWD or RWD would not be the big deciding factor.


Onno



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
JazzyO is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 03-27-2008, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Ferrari Life Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Yes, that is the big question. I think Lambo feels that with all this power 4WD just makes the cars more controllable. There is no doubt that a RWD-only Gallardo would be more difficult to tame, particularly if you want to use the car in the dismal weather we have in Europe. Ferrari uses the computer-aids to temper the F430, Lambo chooses the AWD. From a purist perspective, you could argue that using mechanical solutions is preferable to software solutions. On the other hand, you can switch off the software aids.

In summary, I have weak spot for the Gallardo and I think it's an awesome car. If I had the dosh, however, I would most likely still buy an F430 but it would be a difficult decision. And the AWD or RWD would not be the big deciding factor.


Onno
The advantage of software is of course that you can turn it off without have to carry the extra load when you don't use it. And for sure from a purist view the software solution is no good either... The Gallardo do has it's place especially being a bit more unique do to it's V10 engine. But then you could get that engine buying an Audi RS6 even if you have to put up with less style. :-)

-- Target: 288 GTO --
ferrariforum is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale