Need help finding a nice 308 GTS - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-20-2008, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 50
Need help finding a nice 308 GTS

Hello,

I am looking to buy my first Ferrari, which will most likely be a 1980-1982 GTSi, since they seem to be the most affordable 308's.
My budget is around $30,000. I am NOT looking for a show car, but I want one in excellent condition, with all services up to date.

I live in the New York metro area, and have my name and number with several dealers in my area, but so far I have not found what I'm looking for.
I also check E-Bay, but am wary to buy from the web.

I am hoping that some of you will have some ideas for me to help broaden my search and find a great car. I am not opposed to buying from a private owner, as long as I can have the car checked out by a Ferrari mechanic.

Any advise/tips/comments will be greatly appreciated.

By the way....it has to be red and black!!

Thanks!

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-20-2008, 05:56 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Sounds like you want my car. Try Hemmings Motor News. Available at Bookland or Barnes & Noble.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #3 of 11 Old 03-20-2008, 05:58 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e=&cardist=164

This was the cheapest I was able to find a 1982 Ferrari 308 GTSI. It is $38,900 with 23,962 miles on it. Its located in Ohio. I just found it and decided to post it, good luck on the search for the 308.

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete

post #4 of 11 Old 03-20-2008, 09:42 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
As always, car history file is crucial. Have a PPI done.

Personally, I would never go for a GTSi but save up for a QV or early GTB or GTS (or even a 328). The additional power and cleaner lines are worth the money. I suppose it all depends on your budget, but do try and test drive the various models - there's a big difference between them.

But best of luck with your search, may you join the fray soon!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 11 Old 03-20-2008, 09:47 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
As always, car history file is crucial. Have a PPI done.

Personally, I would never go for a GTSi but save up for a QV or early GTB or GTS (or even a 328). The additional power and cleaner lines are worth the money. I suppose it all depends on your budget, but do try and test drive the various models - there's a big difference between them.

But best of luck with your search, may you join the fray soon!

Onno
I agree, I would save my money and look a a 328.

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #6 of 11 Old 03-20-2008, 10:35 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Suggest you contact:

RPM up in Vermont
http://www.rpmvt.com/index.html

and
Mike Sheehan
www.ferraris-online.com

Good luck.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-21-2008, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks again guy's.

I agree with the logic on saving up and going for the 328, but I don't want to wait to save the extra money!

I did consider the carb GTS, but I like the interior on the GTSi....it seems to have been up-graded, and looks more modern...am I correct here?

Finally, is the performance that much diminished from the carb GTS to the 2 valve GTSi? How about the engine sound?
post #8 of 11 Old 03-21-2008, 05:43 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank C View Post
Finally, is the performance that much diminished from the carb GTS to the 2 valve GTSi?
Yes. Power is down by 20%.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #9 of 11 Old 03-26-2008, 12:39 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
308 GTSi wanted in New York

Try Mike Cannillo at Cannillo Motorsports. Look him up on the web. He is on Long Island. I bought an 81 GTSi from him. He sells reasonable cars at reasonable prices and deals fairly. A low mileage 308 GTSi with all service done, in excellent condition will likely run you more than $30K. You may want to liik at 328s but they usually cost more. I prefer the 308. Good Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank C View Post
Hello,

I am looking to buy my first Ferrari, which will most likely be a 1980-1982 GTSi, since they seem to be the most affordable 308's.
My budget is around $30,000. I am NOT looking for a show car, but I want one in excellent condition, with all services up to date.

I live in the New York metro area, and have my name and number with several dealers in my area, but so far I have not found what I'm looking for.
I also check E-Bay, but am wary to buy from the web.

I am hoping that some of you will have some ideas for me to help broaden my search and find a great car. I am not opposed to buying from a private owner, as long as I can have the car checked out by a Ferrari mechanic.

Any advise/tips/comments will be greatly appreciated.

By the way....it has to be red and black!!

Thanks!

Frank
post #10 of 11 Old 03-26-2008, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thank you all for your comments.

George, I am in touch with Michael and he is on the look-out for me. So is Billy at Wide World of Cars in Spring Valley.

Thanks!
post #11 of 11 Old 04-28-2008, 05:12 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Found these at FCA classified. Removed contact info because I'm not sure if its cool to provide it here (feels like a conflict of interest). That 83 QV sounds sweet, but then there no price provided is there. Hmmmm...

Lane

1980 308 GTBi, s/n 32989. USA model. Yellow/black. 6,500 miles. Major service done with records. A totally unmolested and unrepeatable time warp car. $49,000.

1981 308 GTBi, s/n 36341. Red/black. 46,000 miles. I have recently had it serviced, including new plugs, and wires. The car runs and looks great. $37,995.

1983 308 GTS QV, s/n 47407. Red/black. 22,000 miles. Euro model never Federalized. Major belt service just completed. Very good condition throughout. Two sets of wheels and tires. Runs great, brakes perfect, no oil smoke. Owned since 1988, always kept in heated garage. Pictures available on request. Serious inquiries only please.

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode