Shift Points, At What Rpm's Should I Be? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-20-2008, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 89
Shift Points, At What Rpm's Should I Be?

Hey Guys,
Still Getting Used To The Paddle Shifters, After Driving Standard All My Life. Could You Give Me Some Pointers On What The Ideal Shift Points Are For My 99 355f1? Is There A Range, Or A Specific Rpm? Is It Better To Be Early?
Same Question For Down Shifting, Is There A Sweet Spot?

Lastly, If You Are Going For Your Best Time 0-60 At Standing, Does It Matter How Quick You Pull In The Shifter?

One More. Do You Hold The Break With Some Acceleration Just Before Take Off? How Do You Get Quickest Off The Line Start?

Thanks Ferrari Bros.
Christiana

"LIFE IS SHORT, I'LL HAVE ANOTHER FERRARI SOME DAY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Are you on the track, highway, or just driving around town ?
post #3 of 8 Old 03-21-2008, 04:44 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
From my last post to your question

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7368

As for the F1, up shifting is simple, don’t let off the gas and shift like you want to but don’t hesitate, just tap it and you can do it as fast as you like it makes no difference. In the manual it says “with the gas pedal fully depressed and over 5500 RPM it shifts quicker and fastest at 7000 RPM and over. But at 7K + RPM, watch out for when in low gears as she can spin out.

As far as 0-60, it’s all about the right RPM curve shifting, so if you do it right on 7k, you reach the maximum power curve

Mario

~

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari

post #4 of 8 Old 03-23-2008, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Owner

thanks but what is curve shifting

MARIO,

THANKS SO MUCH, AND I MUST HAVE MISSED YOUR EARLIER POST ON THE GREAT DETAILS. NOT SURE WHAT CURVE SHIFTING IS,BUT ARE YOU SAYING THAT IN THE 0 TO 60 SHIFT UP AT 7K RPMS FOR BEST PERFORMANCE?

BOXER, I HAVE NOT MADE IT TO THE TRACK YET, WANT TO GET TO KNOW HER A LITTLE BETTER, I HAVE ONLY HAD HER FOR 6 MONTHS, AND NEVER BEEN ON A TRACK WITH ANY OF MY PORSCHES,

Sorry I forgot the cap scream thing. Who thought of that rule anyway>

I hope to make it to the track maybe next month, wish I had one of you guys to go with me!! thanks guys

Last edited by Boxer; 03-23-2008 at 01:32 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-23-2008, 06:35 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by 355F1FUN View Post
BOXER, I HAVE NOT MADE IT TO THE TRACK YET, WANT TO GET TO KNOW HER A LITTLE BETTER, I HAVE ONLY HAD HER FOR 6 MONTHS, AND NEVER BEEN ON A TRACK WITH ANY OF MY PORSCHES,

I hope to make it to the track maybe next month, wish I had one of you guys to go with me!! thanks guys
If you have never been on a track before, get an instructor to go out with you the first time. It will make for a much more enjoyable experience.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-23-2008, 11:06 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Christiana,

In the city I would shift normal, i.e. at 3,500 - 4,500 RPMs. If you are on twisty road having fun, shift just before the red line.

Cheers
post #7 of 8 Old 03-24-2008, 12:20 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by 355F1FUN View Post
Hey Guys,
Still Getting Used To The Paddle Shifters, After Driving Standard All My Life. Could You Give Me Some Pointers On What The Ideal Shift Points Are For My 99 355f1? Is There A Range, Or A Specific Rpm? Is It Better To Be Early?
Same Question For Down Shifting, Is There A Sweet Spot?

Lastly, If You Are Going For Your Best Time 0-60 At Standing, Does It Matter How Quick You Pull In The Shifter?

One More. Do You Hold The Break With Some Acceleration Just Before Take Off? How Do You Get Quickest Off The Line Start?

Thanks Ferrari Bros.
Christiana
As Andrew wrote on upshift, if you want to go fast, do it just before the engine speed limiter kicks in (8500rpm?). Otherwise it doesn't matter. Unless you want to save fuel of course and then shift up as soon as possible.

As for shift points it's something like this (on your 355 F1). When you're shifting up at max rev (8500) from 1st you'll be att approx 6000rpm when coming in to 2nd. If you go from 2nd to third at 8500 you'll be at approx 6500 and coming into 4th, 5th and 6th from 8500 att previous gear you'll be close to 7000.

On downshift it depends on what you want to do next. For example if you are about to shift down and accelerate and stay on full throttle for a while then you should change to the gear that will get you below but close (from 6000-7000 in your case) to the power peak at 8250rpm and that of course depends on from wich gear and speed you are coming from. But if you're going to slow down further and want to use the engine for breaking you can of course shift down at a point where you end up at close to 8500 at the lower gear.

Typically if you are going 125 km/h (approx 80 mph) in 4th (approx 5500 rpm) and go down to 3rd you'll at that speed be at approx 7000 rpm and ready to go for an acceleration as quick as possible.

For your car the ratios look like this:

Final Drive 4.35:1
1st Gear Ratio 3.07:1
2nd Gear Ratio 2.16:1
3rd Gear Ratio 1.61:1
4th Gear Ratio 1.27:1
5th Gear Ratio 1.03:1
6th Gear Ratio 0.84:1

I hope it's any help but maybe I just got you more confused. I'm not that good att explaining things...

-- Target: 288 GTO --
post #8 of 8 Old 03-24-2008, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Awsome information

Andrew,
Thank you so much for your detailed info. You really know your stuff! I wasn't sure if being at that level of rpm was too hard on the engine. I guess it is a race car, makes sense.

The down shift info is great, and helps me tremendously,

thanks so much!
Christiana

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode