Morning Drive 360 & 550 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 03-15-2008, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Morning Drive 360 & 550

agp22 with the 550 and I in the 360 went out for a jaunt through the hills this morning. Weather was very mixed with black skies to the east and nothing but sun to the west. As we set off down the beach road all looked good. Rounding the point we had to slow down as sand had blown across the road. In the distance we could see the sun bouncing off the cliffs so all looked good. With the engine now fully warmed up we headed into the valley cut through. As soon as we hit the valley, the 550 came alive and I had to quickly hit the sports switch and prepare to give chase. Through the first couple of corners both cars ran quick and perfectly flat. A nice rhythm had started to develop. Keeping up with the 550 requires work with the main difference between the two contemporary Ferraris is the amount braking the 550 requires going into a corner. The 360 has a faster entry speed but the 550 pulls away instantly on the exit. It makes for a good involving drive.

Unfortunately a shower had run through the north end of the valley and the road turned wet as we were preparing to head up the mountain. A quick stop and we changed plans and headed in into the hills in the opposite direction. This section of road is highly challenging with plenty of switch backs and elevation changes. A great piece of tarmac for the mid engine 360. Sports mode on and up we went with the 550 in the lead. agp22 has a quick and smooth driving style that suits the 550 perfectly. A third of the way up we stopped to get a couple of pictures in a particularily scenic spot before trading places and heading back off. On the decent, water again intruded on our driving surface and caution took hold as dirt has also been washed across the road in places. Twice on the corner exit I could feel the rear starting to slide but the 360 is so well balanced it is easy to catch immediately. We ran easily down and decided to call it a day after another shower swept through. Good to be out but a mixed drive.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-15-2008, 06:37 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
I would kill for those roads, Boxer. Nothing but flat clay where I live!

Nice comparison between the cars - I have not had a chance yet to compare with a 360 but am looking forward to my trip to Italy in May, when that will happen.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 23 Old 03-15-2008, 09:04 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,045
Southern Illinois has some windings roads and hills near where I live, but nothing too extraordinary, and the fun drives aren't long enough...but I'm so envious.

post #4 of 23 Old 03-15-2008, 09:31 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
New Hampshire has a lot of nice mountain roads like the ones Boxer describes. Maine has a few nice roads too but the ones in New Hampshire seem to be better maintained. The 2 main routes I drive near my house are just terrible right now with all the frost heaves and potholes.

Nice comparison of the different driving techniques required.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #5 of 23 Old 03-15-2008, 10:53 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
I have to say, I am one lucky SOB. The roads in Northern California are all meant for driving. There is also the perfect mix of hills, twist and then the occasional flat spot between the next set of hills and twist.
post #6 of 23 Old 03-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
Tremendous scenery!!

Thanks Boxer!
post #7 of 23 Old 03-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Owner

So it seems I'm the only one without nice roads. Darn!

Ah well, it seems taxes are not the only motivation to leave Holland... I should move South in a couple of years!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 23 Old 03-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
So it seems I'm the only one without nice roads. Darn!

Ah well, it seems taxes are not the only motivation to leave Holland... I should move South in a couple of years!

Onno
Not the only one!
Escalating taxes, poor roads - sounds like the UK!
post #9 of 23 Old 03-16-2008, 01:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
On the decent, water again intruded on our driving surface and caution took hold as dirt has also been washed across the road in places. Twice on the corner exit I could feel the rear starting to slide but the 360 is so well balanced it is easy to catch immediately.
Boxer, great description. As usual great fun. But when you took the lead at this point, I lost you. Even with ASR and all that, down the winding road, as I'm sure you noticed and we didn't talk about it later, I didn't keep up with all that speed. Serious driving here.

BTW great photos. I am attaching a not-so-great photo taken with my cheap camera. In the future, I'll bring somebody with me to take photos of your car while driving as you did now. Looks great. For those who are into this stuff, Boxer uses a good Nikon camera.
Attached Images

... racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting... (Steve McQueen / Le Mans)
post #10 of 23 Old 03-16-2008, 01:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 224
Boxer,

Great to here you had a good morning, unfortunately I watched Ferraris dismal start to the F1 season opener, at least both of you kept yours on the black stuff.

I would note the camera angle of the first shot from behind AGP. Was the Nikon tripod mounted in the car, or did you have someone else in the car.

Otherwise it must be said your driving ability (while drinking a can, eating a croissant, talking on the phone, taking a picture) in the 360 is excellent. Maybe you can give Kimi and Filipe some much needed advice.

LOL.
post #11 of 23 Old 03-16-2008, 01:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 224
On a more serious note, what polish are you guys using on your cars, they always look great on your morning drives. In my area at the moment, the dust and pollen means as soon as you pull out of the Garage the car is covered (especially when the paintwork is black).

I have only used a low power jet spray to take off any grit, a warm water sponge for a clean down and a chamois dry. It would be great to get the depth of shine your cars show in the pictures.
post #12 of 23 Old 03-16-2008, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS612 View Post
Otherwise it must be said your driving ability (while drinking a can, eating a croissant, talking on the phone, taking a picture) in the 360 is excellent. Maybe you can give Kimi and Filipe some much needed advice.

LOL.
Simple driving rule: Black on Black - keep your black tires on the black pavement.

Black on any other color is bad for lap times, speed, and often body panels.
post #13 of 23 Old 03-16-2008, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
On a more serious note, what polish are you guys using on your cars, they always look great on your morning drives. In my area at the moment, the dust and pollen means as soon as you pull out of the Garage the car is covered (especially when the paintwork is black).

I have only used a low power jet spray to take off any grit, a warm water sponge for a clean down and a chamois dry. It would be great to get the depth of shine your cars show in the pictures.
I use the Autoglym line of products and had (it died yesterday) a medium powered jet spray for hosing them down. I keep one of the Ferrari supplied covers on it int he garage to keep the dust off.

The camera is a Nikon D300
post #14 of 23 Old 03-16-2008, 02:11 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1fosI View Post
Not the only one!
No man, you've got great roads in Wales and Scotland. At least that's what the guys @ EVO keep telling me.

Onno

post #15 of 23 Old 03-16-2008, 05:20 AM
Owner

Quote:
Boxer,

I would note the camera angle of the first shot from behind AGP. Was the Nikon tripod mounted in the car, or did you have someone else in the car.

LOL.
And let it be known that, at that precise moment, we were not exactly driving slow...

... racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting... (Steve McQueen / Le Mans)
post #16 of 23 Old 03-16-2008, 05:26 AM
Owner

Quote:

Mine gets washed with regular car shampoo from time to time, usually after I came home from a long drive (full of bugs on the front end), and then sits in the garage, dry and de-humidified, normally without the car cover, until it gets out again, usually under dry weather. But the advantage of the silver color is that it can be dusty, and you won't usually notice it.

post #17 of 23 Old 03-16-2008, 05:55 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by agp22 View Post
But the advantage of the silver color is that it can be dusty, and you won't usually notice it.
That is true, silver is the most forgiving color. Also the most visible in low-light conditions.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #18 of 23 Old 03-16-2008, 10:50 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Ciao Boys

As usual looked like great fun and a good read

More please...

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #19 of 23 Old 03-20-2008, 11:43 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1fosI View Post
Not the only one!
High taxes? Can't be as bad as in Brazil......

But, related to the topic, DARN! I want to do this kind of "walk" when I "grow up".. rssr... And yes... my opinion is chaging... Now I think that the 550 is REALLY the king of the roads... =D

hugs.
post #20 of 23 Old 03-20-2008, 03:04 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
The cars look great!

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode