Is it better to be hard or topless? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-13-2003, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 566
Is it better to be hard or topless?

Do some of we Ferrari purists consider convertibles to be less "serious" as driving machines and are more "show off" in nature? Of course I am excluding models which are open-top racers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-13-2003, 07:18 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
What's a Ferrari purist? How does one get this wonderful title? To be honest I see this word all the time and have never said anything until now. So some know more about Ferrari than others. Does this qualify them to pass judgement on others taste? I don't think so.

To answer your question from my point of view, I think it depends on the owners. Some of course get a Ferrari for the looks, others because they love the marquee, others like to light their hair on fire when driving, etc. So which ever category a person fits into that is how they will view their car. So I think you can own a 'serious' convertible Ferrari.

BTW your topic is quite funny, I'm not sure if you meant it to read that way or not but I'm guessing you did.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-13-2003, 09:09 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,696
One needs a top because it rains where I live. You can't go as fast with a rag top up. Hardtops can go anytime. Just my 2 cents.

:P

12 cylinders or walk

post #4 of 7 Old 04-13-2003, 09:26 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 132
the simple solution is to buy a GTS. top on or top off. IMO the only thing pure about ANY sporting car is that it should always have a stick shift. none of this paddle shift non-sense. if you cant work a clutch and shifter you should not be behind the wheel of any car.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-13-2003, 11:26 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 49
You can also by a Spider. It has an electrif roof now. I also have the F1 gearbox : it makes it easier for my left leg and I prefer it above the shiftstick. But that's my choice. That's also the reason why you CAN choose between spider/hardtop and F1/stick. It is up to the driver to decide.

BTW, here in Europe most cars have manual gearboxes so everybody knows how to drive with a shiftstick.

Didier.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-14-2003, 03:08 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
I think that open air driving adds the "sport' in a sports car. You are experiencing more of the environment. It is not just a grocery getter or mere transportation. It is different, it is a luxury. Not just a ride, an experience.

BTW - I have had convertibles before, Fords and Oldsmobiles (and of course Jeeps). One thing that impressed me about the 308: I had the car going down the highway at over 100 mph with the windows down and the top off and there was not a breath of wind inside the car.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #7 of 7 Old 04-14-2003, 06:37 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart
You can't go as fast with a rag top up. Hardtops can go anytime. Just my 2 cents.

:P
your right, when you have a rag top and you want to drive fast (more than 200 km/h (125 mph)), then you have to open it. and if you are that fast, you don't have a problem anymore with rain getting in ;-)

trevi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode