Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 90 Old 03-05-2008, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
FerrariLife Epic Trip..

Per a couple of other posts, there seems to be interest in organizing a FL road trip.

Right now a very rough plan would be to do this in May/June, Sept/Oct, or May/June 09. Given the diverse points on the compass that people would be coming from, Reims France would be the starting location. From Reims we would proceed east to the Nurburgring for a few laps. For those who survive der Ring, next we would go south along the autobahn before heading back into France just north of Basel. Lyon would be the next stop and then we would head down to Nice or Monaco. Nice to Milan would be the next leg and we would then spend a day or two exploring the great driving roads on the Lombard side of the Alps. Final sprint would then be down to Maranello were we should be able to arrange some sort of factory tour or welcome.

From Reims to Maranello would be 7 days/6 nights. In terms of coordination, should this come to be, I would be able to provide route maps & hotel recommendations but would then leave it up to everyone to make their own arrangements.

Let me know if you are interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 Old 03-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 374
May June 09 sounds good to me. 08 is a bit short for such a venture (not impossible though) and I think you'd get less cars joining. But I should be on.
post #3 of 90 Old 03-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
08 is a bit soon for me as I have some overseas business trips planned this year, but 2009 is good for me.

Archie

post #4 of 90 Old 03-05-2008, 11:46 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
Sept/October 08 and 09 are good with me. Am very keen to do this!
post #5 of 90 Old 03-06-2008, 02:48 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Kind of an FL Mlle Miglia...cool...very cool. What an AWESOME adventure that would be. Opportunity of a lifetime and memories for the ages. While I'm sure I could get there (and Mrs. Bastage), the burden of bringing my car would be prohibitive. I will be relegated to enjoying the photo's you guys bring back and living the dream through your eyes.

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #6 of 90 Old 03-07-2008, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

So far it seems that their is moderate interest. I think the minimum needed would be 8 cars. Based on comemnts and the reality of trying to organize such an event, realistically Sept/Oct would be the earliest with Spring 09 the most likely.

Maybe Andrew can get a deal with EuroSportiva for discount Ferrari rentals for the US contingent.
post #7 of 90 Old 03-07-2008, 02:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Bastage View Post
Kind of an FL Mlle Miglia...cool...very cool. What an AWESOME adventure that would be. Opportunity of a lifetime and memories for the ages. While I'm sure I could get there (and Mrs. Bastage), the burden of bringing my car would be prohibitive. I will be relegated to enjoying the photo's you guys bring back and living the dream through your eyes.
Have you contacted any transport companies Saint Bastage? If you don't ask how much it will cost, you will never know. Maybe you can send them an email and look into bringing your car along with other US Ferraris, maybe with two cars per container the costs will be significantly reduced. Maybe a direct ferry Boston to Rotterdam would be cheaper than any other route, I don't know. Just a thought...

... racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting... (Steve McQueen / Le Mans)
post #8 of 90 Old 03-07-2008, 02:43 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 275
I'm very interested in joining the 2009 option.
post #9 of 90 Old 03-07-2008, 06:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 81
I would be in, if we do 2009. I have already inquired about renting a car for a week over there!! Sounds like a blast
post #10 of 90 Old 03-07-2008, 09:36 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Maybe Andrew can get a deal with EuroSportiva for discount Ferrari rentals for the US contingent.

Ooooh...now theres an Idea....Hmmmmm

Lane

post #11 of 90 Old 03-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
October is hands down the greatest month on the planet. Never have I seen a bad October anywhere. Having said that, it looks like 2009 is getting more votes. We can certainly put something together in that time frame.
post #12 of 90 Old 03-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by desotodave View Post
I would be in, if we do 2009. I have already inquired about renting a car for a week over there!! Sounds like a blast

What was the result of your inquiry? In round figures, what are we talkin here.

Lane

post #13 of 90 Old 03-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 89
How Much Bastage?

Is It A Gentleman's Only Road Trip Over There? I'm An Excellent Driver, And Have Traveled All Over This World, And I Will Make You Laugh, But You Have To Leave The Taser At Home. How Much Is It For A Week Rental, And What Would You Get?

I

"LIFE IS SHORT, I'LL HAVE ANOTHER FERRARI SOME DAY!
post #14 of 90 Old 03-07-2008, 11:54 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Hey guys,

I am very interested as well, if it fits into my leave schedule. October 08/09 and spring 09 are good for me.

Vitalone, we could leave from Amsterdam together, would be great! Hopefully, by then, I can choose from two steeds...

I like the programme a lot, Boxer.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #15 of 90 Old 03-08-2008, 04:52 AM
Owner

Chris...if you come, Wifey will too. It's how I get her to do stuff. Maybe she can drive the freighter. Lords knows nobody will have boot space for 7 days of clothes.

Seriously thought...the numbers concern me. I'm thinkinig out loud here and estimating In dollars, I expect Hotels 1400, food 300, car 1800, flights 900, trinkets 1000 (shut up...I'll be in Maranello). So round figures were talkin $5500 If we say "Pilotas" only. If Wifey comes, I'm adding around 2000 (flights, food, trinkets). What have I forgotten?

Lane

post #16 of 90 Old 03-08-2008, 07:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Bastage View Post
Chris...if you come, Wifey will too. It's how I get her to do stuff. Maybe she can drive the freighter. Lords knows nobody will have boot space for 7 days of clothes.

Seriously thought...the numbers concern me. I'm thinkinig out loud here and estimating In dollars, I expect Hotels 1400, food 300, car 1800, flights 900, trinkets 1000 (shut up...I'll be in Maranello). So round figures were talkin $5500 If we say "Pilotas" only. If Wifey comes, I'm adding around 2000 (flights, food, trinkets). What have I forgotten?
Food cost sounds too low, methinks. I would suggest you budget at least $1000 (15 euros for breakfast, 25 euros for lunch, 70 euros for dinner). You can't go to Italy and France in a Ferrari and not have some sumptuous meals and decent wine! I personally budget a little more than that - I was cheaper than my budget last year, though, so around 100 euros per day sounds about right.

The other thing to budget is fuel: last year on my Italy trip (3,500km) I burned around 600 litres which comes close to $1,400 on current prices. Europe is not cheap, unfortunately.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #17 of 90 Old 03-08-2008, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Food cost sounds too low, methinks. I would suggest you budget at least $1000 (15 euros for breakfast, 25 euros for lunch, 70 euros for dinner). You can't go to Italy and France in a Ferrari and not have some sumptuous meals and decent wine! I personally budget a little more than that - I was cheaper than my budget last year, though, so around 100 euros per day sounds about right.

The other thing to budget is fuel: last year on my Italy trip (3,500km) I burned around 600 litres which comes close to $1,400 on current prices. Europe is not cheap, unfortunately.

Onno
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but a realistic budget for this type of trip is Euro 3000-3500 for the week. Fuel alone will be close to Euro 1000 and we will need to stay in places where the cars can be parked safely for the night.
post #18 of 90 Old 03-08-2008, 08:30 AM
Owner

What does your 3000 -3500 include? Present exchange rate 1 dollar = 1.533 euro...3500 Euro = 5366 Dollars. Does your estimate include auto rental? Flight to Paris from New York is +/-850 round trip. IF I could do this for $7000 (4800 Euro) for the 2 of us, its a very strong maybe. I would preffer to cut down on total distance. say 4 to 5 hours per day average. Need time to play on some of these epic roads. Also, wifey won't be happy about just sitting in a car for 7 days.

Lane

post #19 of 90 Old 03-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
I have a dilema with this trip

Not my wife, she's fine and has said 'why don't you go?'.
Not the cost of the trip, living in the UK, I'm already used to the extortionate cost of fuel and general cost of living.

The problem is my 5 yr old shadow. Those of you who have met him, know he is completely obsessed by Ferrari and cars in general. I never take my Ferrari out anywhere without him as my co-pilot, it's as much his car as mine.

Ever since he muttered his first words 'Enzo and V12', I've promised that I would take him to the Nurburgring and Maranello as soon as he was big enough to be away from his mum for a few days/ a week.

If this trip goes ahead in the summer of 2009, he'll be 6 and a half then.

If I go without him, he'll be heartbroken and will probably never forgive me.

If I go with him, I'll have to slow down a bit, I don't mind taking risks on my own, but not with my son in the car. I'll also have to be stuck in our hotel room from 8.00 PM every evening babysitting. He'll probably get homesick and miss his mum after a day, and tell me he wants to go home.

????????

Archie
post #20 of 90 Old 03-08-2008, 01:17 PM
Owner

Arch...I won't go if I'm required to test the envelope of Ferrari performance. Frankly I'm not sure my heart could take it. I'm looking forward to emersing myself in the splendor of majestic highways...Will I exceed the speed limit....sure...but I'm not 18 years old and indestructible anymore. Regarding the night life (no...not you dude) I'm sort of a pussy. I don't drink, don't dance, and can't stay up much beyond 10:00. Your boy and I could just chill in front of a good DVD. Based on the guys (Chris Ihope you don't mind me reffering to you as a guy, you know what I mean) that have responded, I'm guessing there won't be a disco on the itinerary but a nice quiet place to sit and chat about our lifes experiences. I know my kid would just adore that possibility and I doubt yours would have much of a problem with it. If he's like you, and i betting he is, the granduer of the moment will consume him. Just think, all those Ferrari moments and Maranello to boot.

Lane

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode