My impressions about the 308 -- what to like about it:
- The exterior lines are complex and beautiful, and just about perfect. No modern car can seduce like a 308.
- The build quality of the steel bodies has a wonderfully handcrafted feel. The doors have the bank-vault precision of a late 60s pagoda Mercedes SL, but with a soft, lightweight feeling and smoothness that comes as a bit of a surprise.
- The interior lines nicely complement the exterior. The levers and controls are beautiful and solid details. The instrument pod in front of you is tidy and purposeful, and oh-so-cool.
- Everything has a solid yet genteel feel to it; the cabin and controls of a 308 will provide a sturdy and reliable environment for a civilized, intelligent hand for many years, but it is no place for the barbarian or a "bull in a china shop". The same can be said for the exterior -- It responds to a civilized hand, requiring no force at all on the door handles, and a firm but gentle motion on the lids.
- When you first sit in the car and look out the back window, you might think visibility will be poor due to the high bulkhead. But once you are on the road, you realize that you are smaller and lower than all of the cars around you, and you can see everything fine. Visibility is good for a mid-engined car.
- Overall, the car has a very solid feel, and you can sense the low center of gravity.
- Sitting in the GTB/GTS has a laid-back kind of feel, both from the seating position and from the fact that so much of the car -- including the bulging fenders -- lies ahead of you. You don't quite know where the nose of the car is at first. It feels kind of like you are sitting in a 1970s Corvette! But you quickly learn where the edges of the car are.
- Behind you, you are always hearing the engine and gearbox. It is a beautiful, metallic machine noise. The valves and cams and belts and gears provide a symphony. Some people love the Weber carburetors; for me, the carbureted cars are a bit loud. I prefer a fuel injected car with stock exhaust. Arguably the least-intoxicating sounding Ferrari, it still sounds beautiful.
- You will see heat rising from the vents just behind your rear window. Those grilles aren't there for decoration! Ahh, the beauty of function!
Driving the car -- even just sitting in it -- is always a treat. It is something special, and the experience will only become familiar -- never dull. One need not be ashamed of current 308 market values; it is now and always will be every bit the exotic, fascinating machine that made it a legend in the first place.