Brilliant Sunday drive - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 03-02-2008, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Brilliant Sunday drive

The weather today was perfect. Not a cloud to be found and the mercury pushing north towards 70 F. A day made for waking up the neighborhood with the F50. Todays crew was agp22 in his brilliant 550, the 308 GTB with it new owner and a good friend of his, and myself with Goofy, Sir, riding shotgun in the F50. With the crew assembled, we headed off towards the highway to get Maranellos' finest properly warmed up for tackling the mountains. The F50 in particular needs a good run on the open road to get heat in the tires, a particularly wise thing to do before heading into more challenging terrain, especially if you do not want to become a permanent part of the terrain. Just how good an idea this was became immediately apparent as we wound our way through a series of roundabouts and the chilled back end of the F50 was not gripping with conviction. A few miles on the fairly clear highway righted the situation quickly. As you don't have to drive through any turbo lag on the F50, all the power is immediately with a short jab of the right foot. This gives you an incredible ability to shot through gaps in the traffic and immediately close distances when needed. Running down the highway we did spread out a bit to allow for several good acceleration runs. Ran it up close to the redline a few times once everything was full warmed up. At 8000 rpm the F50 is not subtle and while we did try to stay within eye contact. It did not always work but according to the other guys it was not a problem because they could easily hear where I was. In fact, agp22 said he could bearly hear himself when he was close on my tail.

After the highway run, we headed up towards the mountains but not before running into one young troglodyte who insisted in filming a short study of 3 Ferraris driving down the road. I have no issue with people taking pictures of the cars, but I do have major probelsm when they try to box you in so that they can get the "perfect" camera angles. The mountain road is roughly 20 km with straight bits few and far between. The whole length is an exercise in moving back and forth between 2nd and 3rd gear (the 5 speed box in the 308 is perfectly set up for this), keeping the car balanced with the throttle, and using the brakes sparingly. Get it right and the whole run flows seamlessly. Get out of sync and it is a real struggle. Make a mistake, you will kiss a tree. As an added complication today, the local bike club was out in force. Fortunately after about a third of the way up, we lost the bikers and fears of scooping one up subsided. The wide hips on the F50 make road placement in these conditions critical. On the other hand the huge reserves of power allow you to shoot from corner to corner and pass stragglers safely on the short straight bits of tarmac. The 308 looked to be completely in its element and the 550 did not break a sweat.

After the invigorating run through the mountains, we headed back down the valley toward the coast. Once back on the coast we had a short stop before parting ways.

All in all a brilliant run.

Note: In the pictures, all the cars are parked with the engines facing south .
Attached Images

Last edited by Boxer; 03-02-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-02-2008, 05:07 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
That's great, I guess soon you'll start a local Ferrari Club!

Pictures look great, but the F50 looks better flat on the ground, not with the nose up

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #3 of 20 Old 03-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Beautiful day, awesome ride and as usual a great post-ride write up.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."

post #4 of 20 Old 03-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Ciao

Love to read your short stories all the time, you should put a book together with all of your stories of your best drives.

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #5 of 20 Old 03-03-2008, 03:34 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
Indeed a brilliant day out. And I was privileged to be driving the 308 on these glorious roads in perfect weather with great company chasing the F50 and 550 Maranello no less. Both the beautiful Ferraris in front were made even more beautiful when framed by the raked windshield and plunging, speared front wings of the the 308 at speed. The 308 ran beautifully and felt very much at home on the twisties. Plenty of torque and could have kept it in third all the way, but that would have meant missing out on the clack-clack when I occassionally made a perfect shift up or down and the magical music as the revs soared past 6000.
Then I got to experience the 550 as agp550 kindly allowed me to take his beautiful Maranello for a drive along the coastal road. Smooth, powerful and a lovely V12 song through the open windows. The Maranello way exceeded my high expectations even though I neither drove far nor fast. Just the feel behind of wheel of the Maranello in motion showed me what a true thoroughbred this car is. And the great thing is that it felt great to get back into the driver's seat of the 308 again. Different flavours of the magic that is Ferrari. I am besotted.

One of the best drives ever and a weekend I will never forget. Thanks to Boxer for making it happen.
post #6 of 20 Old 03-03-2008, 04:39 AM

Vitalone, great to read your point of view, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with the 308!

Congratulations for the new car!

post #7 of 20 Old 03-03-2008, 05:34 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 374
Ferrari day

Yeah, so it was Ferrari Day for us!

Great fun driving along with all three cars. Ahead of me, the F50 that no doubt has that loud sound about it, real loud on the highway at power (couldn't hear my own car when close by), and real fast... You know, a real Star

The 308 on my rear view mirror, looked a bit fatter than usual 308s, very stylish, more like a 288 or something like that. In fact it has those Zender mods. reminiscent of late 70s early 80s. Really cool sight.

Plowing through traffic, the F50 seems to clean the way fairly easily, (except for the "bugs-with-cameras" on slower roads that seem pretty sticky - hell I couldn't even get close to Boxer without risking a tackle on the "bug", these guys were all over the F50).

With the 550, plowing through traffic, you have got to have the headlights on for other cars to get out of the way, but they do so quite voluntarily once they notice the big wide and low-to-the-ground grin of the Maranello... In general people do show some kind of sympathy (or respect) for the prancing horse.

Definitely great fun...

Looking forward to the next drive
post #8 of 20 Old 03-03-2008, 05:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Looks like a great day out. The 308 does look like it's been on steroids, I love the wheels.

Archie
post #9 of 20 Old 03-03-2008, 05:46 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
Tremendous!!

Many thanks!
post #10 of 20 Old 03-03-2008, 01:05 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,045
What is so great about these stories is the fact that pictures always follow.
post #11 of 20 Old 03-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri View Post
What is so great about these stories is the fact that pictures always follow.
You mean like, something like this?
Attached Images

post #12 of 20 Old 03-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalone View Post
Indeed a brilliant day out. And I was privileged to be driving the 308 on these glorious roads in perfect weather with great company chasing the F50 and 550 Maranello no less. Both the beautiful Ferraris in front were made even more beautiful when framed by the raked windshield and plunging, speared front wings of the the 308 at speed. The 308 ran beautifully and felt very much at home on the twisties. Plenty of torque and could have kept it in third all the way, but that would have meant missing out on the clack-clack when I occassionally made a perfect shift up or down and the magical music as the revs soared past 6000.
Then I got to experience the 550 as agp550 kindly allowed me to take his beautiful Maranello for a drive along the coastal road. Smooth, powerful and a lovely V12 song through the open windows. The Maranello way exceeded my high expectations even though I neither drove far nor fast. Just the feel behind of wheel of the Maranello in motion showed me what a true thoroughbred this car is. And the great thing is that it felt great to get back into the driver's seat of the 308 again. Different flavours of the magic that is Ferrari. I am besotted.

One of the best drives ever and a weekend I will never forget. Thanks to Boxer for making it happen.
Awesome and congrats on the 308. You bought it from probably one of the most classyist (sp?) owners out there and I'm sure the car is in top condition.
post #13 of 20 Old 03-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
David, I'm disappointed in you! You told me you were thinking about Boxer's GTB and you didn't tell me you bought it! Congrats man!

I assume the car and you will be in Amsterdam in mid-April? Let's finally get together and go for a drive. The 550 will be chomping at the bit to be let loose again after almost 5 months... and so will I!

Great story, BTW, Boxer. Lovely experiences to read about.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #14 of 20 Old 03-04-2008, 12:27 AM
Owner

Thanks for the good wishes, I am very excited. Thanks to being a member of this amazing worldwide team, I met up with Boxer. And indeed I could not have got the 308 from a better home. The car is in beautiful condition and drives exceptionally well. In the flesh it is absolutely gorgeous with the "wide body" and 16" BBS rims. At 6 4", it is a bonus that it is more roomy inside than both the Dino 246gt and 512BB that I previously owned (I miss them both but the 308 will fill that gap I am sure, a Ferrari that surprises me with its beauty and brawn, a really nice combination of 246 and 512 actually).

Onno, it would be great to hook up with you in Amsterdam, I will be driving the 308 back at the end of April. Hope you will still be in town then? I was blown away by the 550, it really feels like at modern Daytona, and would love to take our tipos out for a drive. The run with tgp22 and Boxer on Sunday reminded me that acquiring a Ferrari is to meet amazing people and have amazing times.
post #15 of 20 Old 03-04-2008, 01:43 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 439
Boxer, I have known Vitalone since we raced together at the Porsche Club here in SA some 10 years ago!

Dave is the greatest Ferrari and Porsche afficionado I know and I can tell you that the 308 could not be in better hands!!!
post #16 of 20 Old 03-04-2008, 03:06 AM
Owner

Thanks Schumacher, you are too kind. Thanks to you I joined FerrariLife.

Those were the days and I still enjoy driving the old warrior when I visit SA (Signal Orange 69 Porsche 911E 2.2 that I drove over 100,000km as my daily driver and track car, literally raced on Sundays-against Mike in his 68 911S and 80 911SC-and drove to work on Mondays and we won a few concours too).

No plans to race the 308 though, but rather to explore Europe with. Hopefully you will join me Mike. Looking forward to some more magic motoring moments!
post #17 of 20 Old 03-04-2008, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher View Post
Boxer, I have known Vitalone since we raced together at the Porsche Club here in SA some 10 years ago!

Dave is the greatest Ferrari and Porsche afficionado I know and I can tell you that the 308 could not be in better hands!!!
I throughly enjoyed meeting Vitalone. He is both a gentleman and a true car afficionado. It is great to meet someone new and finding out that you are both very much on the same page on quite a number of different subjects.

I am sure the 308 GTB will be in excellent hands.
post #18 of 20 Old 03-04-2008, 06:52 AM

Vitalone, it is inspiring to share this fresh excitement that you have, reminds me why I love cars - specially Ferraris - so much!

post #19 of 20 Old 03-04-2008, 07:59 AM
Owner

Thanks stile-alpine, it is nice to share the passion with enthusiasts all over the world. I like your use of the words "fresh enthusiasm" as it is a true compliment. I have been lucky to drive Porsches and Ferraris for the past 22 years (i.e. more than half of my life) and the thrill of driving them just seems to grow as the years and experiences mount up. Nice to see that I have not become jaded through the years.

Boxer, your kind words mean a lot to me too as I have had the pleasure of meeting you and thus know that they count for a lot. Thank you.

Here's to some more Sunday drives in the company of some beautiful Ferraris and true enthusiasts.
post #20 of 20 Old 03-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalone View Post
Onno, it would be great to hook up with you in Amsterdam, I will be driving the 308 back at the end of April. Hope you will still be in town then? I was blown away by the 550, it really feels like at modern Daytona, and would love to take our tipos out for a drive. The run with tgp22 and Boxer on Sunday reminded me that acquiring a Ferrari is to meet amazing people and have amazing times.
Dave, unfortunately I will be going back to Mali on the 21st of April.

However! I will back quickly, on the 9th of May. I've got a whole number of events lined up. There's a trackday (driving course) at Circuit Zandvoort on the 10th (Ferrari Club Netherlands), a country drive on the 12th (also FCN) and a gathering of 35 Ferrari's at the banked oval in Lelystad (organised by my friends of another forum) on the 19th. In between I'd be happy to hook up with you, of course. If you wanted to participate in any of the events, PM me and I'll explain offline.

Hope to see you in May!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode