612 vs Maserati... ?? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-01-2008, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 13
612 vs Maserati... ??

Seems that the 612 is not very popular... I realize it is not a "pure" sports car.... however, I like it because it does NOT look like a race car, rather a daily driver with much spunk.... I have ordered an '08 Maserati Gran Turismo for 120k (US) which satisfies many of the same needs for me... just less money.... I like the back seat if needed.. I like the semi automatic trans.... for a daily driver.....I like the "wolf in sheep's clothing" appearance.. As I await 3 months for delivery of the Maserati I am thinking perhaps I should consider a low miles 2005 Ferrare 612..... do you guys think this is possible in the 150k range or is this still a 200k car ? also.. was 05 the first year for 612 ?

thanks
new guy USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-02-2008, 05:51 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
I would be very seriously surprised if you can pick up a 612 below 200k. 2005 was the first year for the Scaglietti, yes.

Your purchasing musings are, how shall we say it, atypical. Waiting for a new car to be delivered, you are considering buying a more expensive second-hand car. Why consider buying the 612 for 3 months (assuming you don't want to keep it)? Surely you can survive in something more residual and with less 'stamp-duty' (each time you sell and buy a Ferrari it costs you more money than on most other cars) for that short a time? If it was me, I would buy a nice contrast to the Maser. A convertible, or a 360 or maybe a classic Ferrari. If you were going to keep the 612 next to Maserati, that's fine but also not what I would do. They are essentially the same cars, just in different price brackets.

Concerning the Gran Turismo, I think the Maser is a great buy - good value for money for a new car. Resale-wise, however, it will be close to the 612 in terms of depreciation percentage unless the market starts changing it's perception radically about Maserati (which I think is happening, but slowly). Nice car - I was using the configuration on maserati.com only yesterday. It looks great in almost all colours, except Yellow and White (for me).

Enjoy the new car when it arrives!

Cheers,

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 11 Old 03-02-2008, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

thanks Onno...... I appreciate the input...

I would cancel the Maser if I decided to go with Ferrari... but it seems to me to get the Ferrari that would make me happy it would be $225k ish... I will stick with the Maser that is ordered ..... I don't love the depreciation but don't hate it either... I will probably baby the car and keep it for 5 to 10 years so it will not much matter at that time....

I have also learned that all purchases do not have to make "perfect financial sense".... Some things just make us happy and life is TRULY SHORT.....

thanks again....

JD

post #4 of 11 Old 03-02-2008, 08:30 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Based on your comments, I also think you are better off going with the Maser. You might also want to get input from the guys here:

http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/
post #5 of 11 Old 03-02-2008, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

thanks Boxer

thank you..... comes down to financial constraints.....200k is not in the cards.... but my heart will always be in the Ferrari factory !!

(although I heard they wheeled this Maserati engine through the Ferrari factory so they could say "it was there") smile...
post #6 of 11 Old 03-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 224
Thinkthinkthink,

I understand where you are coming from. I looked at the GT (and the wife loved it - wanted one for herself). I have to say though that when you are behind the wheel of both cars, the maser made you feel good, but the 612 made me smile all day, even after getting out.

The Maser Gt is a great car, and I agree with the others that since being taken into the Ferrari stable things have changed and dramatically, but it is still not a Ferrari. But I dissagree they are the same car - they are not - they are very diferent animals.

I too have bought my 612 with it in mind to keep for many years, and which way you choose to go you won't be dissapointed. As its ordered to your spec, keep on the track you originally chose.

On another point, many years ago in a sales training course a wise trainer explained that to make money in life you need to sell to the MAN - Money, Authority, Need. Wether a product or service, a pen or a Ferrari.

But then he also added, that if you want to get rich - you need to find something that is driven by the WOMAN - because WANT OVERRIDES Money, Authority or Need.

Desire and Want, the choices we make are driven by these. Thats why I choose the Ferrari, and hope too again with a few more over the coming years.

Good Luck

PS (No it didn't arrive today, hopefully tomorrow.)
post #7 of 11 Old 03-05-2008, 12:34 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 224
Mine's arrived - definately got to be the 612, and ensure either the HGTC/S package - the auditory experience is phenominal.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkThinkThink View Post
I have also learned that all purchases do not have to make "perfect financial sense".... Some things just make us happy and life is TRULY SHORT.....

thanks again....

JD
You're quite right - none of these cars make "SENSE". Who cares? One payeth one's money and payeth one' dues... and then one burns up the neighbours' stretch of asphalt.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #9 of 11 Old 03-05-2008, 11:35 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
You're quite right - none of these cars make "SENSE". Who cares? One payeth one's money and payeth one' dues... and then one burns up the neighbours' stretch of asphalt.

Onno
Completely disagree.

They definitely make SENSE, if they don't, you just need to go back and work a bit more on your "justification".
post #10 of 11 Old 03-05-2008, 12:03 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Completely disagree.

They definitely make SENSE, if they don't, you just need to go back and work a bit more on your "justification".
Well, that's one thing you are pretty good at. That article you wrote some time ago about the reasons you got your ex-308 was very good.

Of course it also helps a lot that you follow the Ferrari market closely and buy the right cars at the right time, so you always (or at least many times) end up making some money when you sell them.

But, naturally, that is because you are more a classic Ferrari guy, because with new cars it is almost impossible to make money instead of losing with depreciation.

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #11 of 11 Old 03-06-2008, 09:05 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Completely disagree.

Justification? What's that?

Oh, wait a minute, there are non-singles here - I keep forgetting.

Onno

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode