Ferrari Life Forum banner

Ferrari's, The Police and Geography

1K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Dmitri 
#1 ·
I 've been reading the posts about car colours, fastest speeds, and read Boxers's excellent explanation of trying not to rear end a 550, but here's a couple of questions.

1) Are you more likely to get stopped in a Ferrari than any other car?
2) Does a Red Ferrari look like a bullseye to a policeman, more so than a yellow, black, silver or blue one (other colours on an archery target - except the silver)?
3) Will a F40/F50 get stopped more than a Mondial, 456 or 612?
4) We all know the French Police are a nightmare (was pulled on the way to LeMans by a pair in a Subaru Imprezza while in a Range Rover doing 120mph - but the 3 Porsche's that past me - like I was parked - had already been pulled and Licenses confiscated), but will an Italian urge you on, and an US Patrolman pull you to have a look?

Maybe too many questions, but your experiences would be interesting to hear.

#2 ·
I 've been reading the posts about car colours, fastest speeds, and read Boxers's excellent explanation of trying not to rear end a 550, but here's a couple of questions.

1) Are you more likely to get stopped in a Ferrari than any other car?
2) Does a Red Ferrari look like a bullseye to a policeman, more so than a yellow, black, silver or blue one (other colours on an archery target - except the silver)?
3) Will a F40/F50 get stopped more than a Mondial, 456 or 612?
4) We all know the French Police are a nightmare (was pulled on the way to LeMans by a pair in a Subaru Imprezza while in a Range Rover doing 120mph - but the 3 Porsche's that past me - like I was parked - had already been pulled and Licenses confiscated), but will an Italian urge you on, and an US Patrolman pull you to have a look?

Maybe too many questions, but your experiences would be interesting to hear.
1. I have never been pulled over driving a Ferrari.
2. See #1
3. Not per my experience.
4. I have been urged on by the police in Italy per the attached article: http://www.ferrarilife.com/library/download_pdf.php?type=flq&id=89
been harrassed in France, and ignored in Spain and the UK.

#3 ·
I've never driven my 328 outside of England, and so far I haven't been stopped by the Police. To be honest, the 328 isn't a good motorway car, it's too noisy at 4000 RPM at motorway speeds. I much prefer the scream of it going upto 7700 RPM on country lanes and taking corners as fast as I dare:D
Consequently, I'm unlikely to be stopped by the cops as they don't normally patrol the back roads and country lanes.

I personally think a Ferrari is a cop magnet, and if you speed excessively on motorways, dual carriageways, thru town...etc, you are going to get pulled sooner or later. It's a trophy car for cops, they can tell all their mates down at the station, that they nicked a Ferrari today.

#4 ·
In my view, Yellow would be the most likely to attract attention, since very few cars are that bright and that yellow. I think black, blue, and silver would tend to blend in with other traffic more. Although I think yellow Fcars are beautiful, they attract too much attention for my taste.... I don't own an Fcar to get noticed.

#5 ·
Ciao tutti

What I have noticed is that I get pulled over way less in an exotic than when I drive something more domesticated, they mostly seem to be looking at the car more than my driving.

#6 ·
In 6 years I've only been pulled over once and I didn't get a ticket. As long as your not driving stupid I think when the police see a Ferrari they would assume that the man behind the wheel is probably fairly mature and responsible. I think they pay more attention to the kids in the Honda cars with the big wing on the back and the racing stickers plastered all over it.

#7 ·
Only been pulled over, I think, three times in the red Turbo Porsche, police routine alcohol checks, driving both slow and reasonably fast, but never (yet) in the silver Ferrari. And I use it pretty often. But so far, always got away with it :D

#8 ·
I did get pulled over twice in space of 15 minutes by police in Italy when driving my 550. They were doing random checks (it was not for speeding nor for any other offense) and for some reason two teams were on roads very close to each other. I do believe that they stopped me because of the car, and when I remarked "hey, that's twice in 15 minutes" the second team said "Really? well, maybe because of the car. You can go, but can we first take a photo?". :D

In Holland, police are not really fans of Ferrari's and undercover guys tend to follow expensive cars. I stick to speed limit pretty religiously in my own country. 30 miles over the limit = license confiscated...

Onno

#9 ·
I've only seen one F-car on the interstate, it was a 512, I think TR, and it blew by me on my way to Indianapolis for the US GP last year. I had just gone through a speed-trap set up by cops when it passed me, and they ignored the red Ferrari and instead pulled over a white Eclipse that was speeding, although not nearly as fast as the 512.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.