Stock or modified Ferrari??? - Ferrari Life
View Poll Results: Which modifications, would you put on a Ferrari?
Exhaust 86 74.14%
Rims 47 40.52%
Window Tint 26 22.41%
Spoiler 5 4.31%
Supercharger/Turbocharger 15 12.93%
NONE, Don't mess with perfection. Stock all the way! 21 18.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 Old 02-09-2008, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Stock or modified Ferrari???

This is a much debated question on the internet, and I was wondering what everyone on here felt. Does adding an exhaust, rims, or anything on a stock Ferrari take away from the car in your mind? I know it alters the value. I'm not talking like cheapo rims, or walmart special parts. I am talking like Tubi exhausts, and higher end parts. I know a lot of people don't want to mess with perfection. But do you think it hinders the car or do you think it makes the car more unique?

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 02-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Ciao tutti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishawk4 View Post
This is a much debated question on the internet, and I was wondering what everyone on here felt. Does adding an exhaust, rims, or anything on a stock Ferrari take away from the car in your mind? I know it alters the value. I'm not talking like cheapo rims, or walmart special parts. I am talking like Tubi exhausts, and higher end parts. I know a lot of people don't want to mess with perfection. But do you think it hinders the car or do you think it makes the car more unique?
I think that Ferrari owners look for certain modifications like tubi and upgraded rims on some of the older models but when you start messing around too much it can certainly take away from the cars over all worth especially if it is a classic model or rare one.

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #3 of 57 Old 02-09-2008, 11:03 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Changing the exhaust is fine. I consider it a consumable/perishable item that will need repalcement several times during a cars life anyway. Otherwise don't mess with what Maranello built.

post #4 of 57 Old 02-10-2008, 12:34 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
It depends on the car. If it is a classic Ferrari (pre 1980), then don't mess with it.

If it is a modern F, then changing the exhaust is fine. Maranello needs to comply with ever-stricter Euro rules - if it was up to Ferrari SpA I'm sure the modern F's wouldn't sound like they do now.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 57 Old 02-10-2008, 08:01 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,045
I'm not much for any aesthetic changes aside from rims, possibly tint, and of course exhaust for the sound, but if someone wanted to tune up their engine or add forced induction, more power to them.

What I really can't stand are body kits and the like on a Ferrari.
post #6 of 57 Old 02-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
I suppose it depends what you are using it for. If you are tracking your Ferrari, I'd imagine many parts would need to be changed, not least of all things like brakes, suspension, wheels and the addition of spoilers or splitters.

But as for road cars, it's down to your own taste at the end of the day. I can't see anything wrong with adding a sports exhaust, and maybe new rims, 16 inch rims look nice on 308's instead of the factory fitted 14 inch, and the 355 18 inch wheels look great on 348's.

Personally, I don't like messing with cars and prefer to leave them as they left the factory, my 328 is 100% standard, not even a sports exhaust.

Archie
post #7 of 57 Old 02-11-2008, 06:20 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
Personally, I don't like messing with cars and prefer to leave them as they left the factory, my 328 is 100% standard, not even a sports exhaust.
Not for one second am I saying you should change it, Archie, but just thinking about the sound of my brother's 328 with sports exhaust makes me grin inanely!! What a lovely, lovely car that was (he had to sell it). The exhaust made just a bit more special.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 57 Old 02-11-2008, 09:27 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 65
I plan to add a Tubi or X-ost to my 348TS. I do think the stock 348 wheels are a bit eclectic to the rest of the car, and different wheels can improve looks IMO. So I plan to get different wheels also, but on most Ferraris, I would not want to change the wheels. That's about all I want to change on the car, though.

Rick
post #9 of 57 Old 02-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Not for one second am I saying you should change it, Archie, but just thinking about the sound of my brother's 328 with sports exhaust makes me grin inanely!! What a lovely, lovely car that was (he had to sell it). The exhaust made just a bit more special.

Onno
Onno, when the time come's to change the exhaust I will seriously consider a Tubi or other sports exhaust as I agree the sound is awesome, but as the one that's on it is perfectly good, I don't want to spend money on things I don't need. (my wife would probably ask why I bought a Ferrari in that case )

Archie
post #10 of 57 Old 02-11-2008, 12:58 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 56
I tend to think it's really just a matter of preference. I don't believe anything ever made by a mass manufacturer could be called "perfection". Concessions will always be made, and very likely may not result in the exact car the customer wanted. My firm belief is that "it's your car and your money, do what you will". I certainly don't like all the "customs" out there and some are done in very poor taste (IMO), but then.. it's not my car/not my problem. At the same time I'm sure there are those who shudder at the thought of some of my cars... a 1955 Jaguar, sometime before I bought it a previous owner combined it with a 1961 E-type, replacing the 3.4L engine with a 3.8L, the solid rear axle with the independant, drum brakes with discs etc. Since then I have added some of my own flair. Is it worth more or less because of it? I have no idea, and I really don't care. It's fun to drive and puts a huge grin on my face when I fire it up and take it on some curvy backroads. If someone has the means and wherewithal to do something like that to a Ferrari 250.... well that's their choice.

That said, We just ordered a whole new sports exhaust for the 550... went with hyperflow cats and x-pipe, with quicksilver mufflers. will let everyone know how that works out.
post #11 of 57 Old 02-12-2008, 09:18 AM
Owner

Quote:
Onno, when the time come's to change the exhaust I will seriously consider a Tubi or other sports exhaust as I agree the sound is awesome, but as the one that's on it is perfectly good, I don't want to spend money on things I don't need. (my wife would probably ask why I bought a Ferrari in that case )
Sounds like a great idea! Maybe you can find some way to damage your exhaust so you'll need it sooner...

Onno

post #12 of 57 Old 02-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Sounds like a great idea! Maybe you can find some way to damage your exhaust so you'll need it sooner...

Onno
Onno, spoken like a man with no wife and kids to drain his finances

Oh, how I would love to be in that position again

Archie
post #13 of 57 Old 02-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Quote:

Dude...Shut up....She's gonna hear you!!!

If you think it...it's a dream. When you write it down...it becomes "evidence"

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless

Last edited by Saint Bastage; 02-12-2008 at 11:44 AM.
post #14 of 57 Old 02-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Bastage View Post

Archie
post #15 of 57 Old 02-12-2008, 12:28 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Bastage View Post

LOL

great advice

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #16 of 57 Old 02-23-2008, 04:55 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 374
I think that when driving a V12 at full power, you gotta hear it! And although the 550's original exhaust is ok on idle, to me it is way too muffled on WOT.
post #17 of 57 Old 02-24-2008, 04:37 AM
Owner

Quote:

You're right, but I was only joking.

Funny how (almost) every single man wants to be married and every married man wants to be single. Something to do with the greenness of grass, apparently.

Onno

post #18 of 57 Old 02-24-2008, 07:18 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
So Onno..Your saying you want to be married.

About that grass. I recommend you dry it to a golden brown. It rolls easier, concentrates the THC, and burns more evenly.

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless

Last edited by Saint Bastage; 02-24-2008 at 08:15 AM.
post #19 of 57 Old 02-24-2008, 01:17 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 271
Exhaust definitely and maybe wheels but nothing else.
post #20 of 57 Old 02-25-2008, 06:48 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 167
I would say wheels and exhaust are pretty easily reversable and can enhance the look of the car.

Although I always dream of a Koneing Competition Coupe Twin turbo testarossa
its the only heavily modified ferrari I would ever consider.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode