What is the longest drive in your Ferrari? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 01-30-2008, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
What is the longest drive in your Ferrari?

Ciao boys(and girls) just curious to see how many owners have taken there car on a good long trip? From where to where? Interesting sites along the way? How did your f car perform? Any problems? Peoples reactions,
any racers, jerks etc... would you do it again?

I thought this would be a fun thread to read before we all start making our plans for road trips.

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-30-2008, 02:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 275
Last september we went on a 4.000km trip. From Amsterdam to Bolzano(Italian Dolomites) and back together with an 355 GTS and 964 RS.
Obvouisly it was absoluty great. Driving a Ferrari in Italy means speed limits do not really apply, no problems parking and meeting a lot of enthousiastic people. And the dolomites offers really great roads, perfect to enjoy the cars to it's limits (or in my cae: my limits in driving).

The car had a few minor problems: the speedo sensor was broken so I didn't know my speed (a perfect excuse of course ) and the clutch pedal sunk a few times almost to the bottom after a few fast stints up and down the mountains...that was not funny After a some cooling down...I learned you can drive up the mountain in 5th gear (now that's a smooth engine!)...the problem disappeared.

Can't wait till the winter is over and go back there..
post #3 of 20 Old 01-30-2008, 05:07 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 167
I drove from Des Moines IA to Indianapolis IN for the US GP last year which is about 475mi each way in my Testarossa. It was a blast.

post #4 of 20 Old 01-30-2008, 06:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 177
So far probably only have driven about 160mi round trip in the Dino at one time. Lots of shorter rips though. Planning on doing a couple longer trips this summer though! And she purrred like a kitten the whole time!

Cheers!

There is nothing like a Ferrari, there never has been and never will be!
post #5 of 20 Old 01-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
I shouldn't really admit this. I've had the car for 2 years and only covered 2000 miles Longest round trip is probably 150 miles going to the FOC concours last Sept. Most journeys are a 15 - 20 mile run on the weekend in the spring, summer and autumn (fall).
I have decided that it needs driving more regularly this year. Service is booked for 4 weeks time, and after that it won't be left looking pretty in my garage.

Archie
post #6 of 20 Old 01-30-2008, 12:55 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Longest drive in a day was either Bordeaux to Caen in the 512 BB or Nice to Madrid in the F40.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-30-2008, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
I shouldn't really admit this. I've had the car for 2 years and only covered 2000 miles
OMG I covered more than that just walking........

post #8 of 20 Old 01-30-2008, 09:50 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Life View Post
OMG I covered more than that just walking........
Yep, it's not good, but I plan to amend that this year

Archie
post #9 of 20 Old 01-31-2008, 04:41 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
I drove my 308 a touch over 1000 miles in one day last summer on my way from Minnesota to Idaho. Kinda like being in heaven for a day--top off, blue skies, nice roads (although a little too straight), pleasant traffic-free scenery, and always that wonderful snarl of the motor. The car didn't miss a beat, and got 22mpg when I drove it sanely. My only regret was that I couldn't really take it up to speed--the tires aren't rated for that sort of thing, which is a choice I intentionally made to keep me honest--and alive.
post #10 of 20 Old 01-31-2008, 08:34 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Longest drive in a day was either Bordeaux to Caen in the 512 BB or Nice to Madrid in the F40.
I just went back and check my log:

Longest drive in a day is the F40 from Nice to Madrid - 800 miles
2nd longest is Madrid to Lyon in the 550 - 750 miles
post #11 of 20 Old 02-01-2008, 03:29 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by leland View Post
The car didn't miss a beat, and got 22mpg when I drove it sanely.
That's pretty decent mileage for having four 2bbls. I average around 16mpg in mine (around town and back country roads).

Quote:
Originally Posted by leland View Post
My only regret was that I couldn't really take it up to speed--the tires aren't rated for that sort of thing, which is a choice I intentionally made to keep me honest--and alive.
That affects your fuel mileage also. I did one run at over 130 mph for a good stretch and got 7 mpg. (I don't normally drive fast, just did it that once so I could say I've done it.)

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #12 of 20 Old 02-01-2008, 05:49 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
I shouldn't really admit this. I've had the car for 2 years and only covered 2000 miles ...
That's appalling!!!! You really must get out more.

I have driven from the UK to Italy 5 times. The longest journey in one day would have been for the 60 Anni at Fiorano last year as we were pressed for time. Calais to Como in the one day (actually a bit more than that because there was a bit in England first). I have to say that wasn't the most fun drive as it was pretty much autobahn all the way. Fast, but not great fun. Fabulous time once we got there though. I also drove down for the factory tour one January. Snow at Mont Blanc on the way back was interesting...

My first trip to Italy was when Mont Blanc was still shut because of the fire and I'd completely forgotten that so I looked at the map in a hurry and decided to go a bit further south. Looked fine on the map but turned out to be hairpin infested goat tracks up the sides of mountains with no barriers and sheer 5000 foot drops down to the valley below. I spent a long time following an Italian Army truck with a dozen soldiers leaning out the back highly amused by the Ferrari completely unable to pass for want of any line of sight.

Jonathan
post #13 of 20 Old 02-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtremlett View Post
That's appalling!!!! You really must get out more.

Jonathan
Yes, it's terrible, but in my defence the weather was that bad all summer last year that I never got the opportunity to go anywhere. I do intend to use it more this year. I'm hoping to cover 1100 miles from March to Oct this year instead of the usual 1000

Last years trips were -
Nick cartwrights and back for a service 100 miles
Donington park and back for the 60th anniversary 40 miles
FOC meet at GrayPaul in Nottingham 70 miles
Auto Italia - 30 miles
National concours - 150 miles
The remainder of the mileage was made up of short drives at the weekend to keep everything lubed up.

My wife calls it a very expensive ornament

Archie
post #14 of 20 Old 02-03-2008, 05:37 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Archie, at the very least you need to drive it to the Goodwood FoS 2008!!

My drives in 1 day so far: Amsterdam - Chichester (Goodwood), around 450 miles. Did that twice last year, so 4 trips in total. Then Amsterdam - Geneva, around 700 miles. Best blast was Innsbruck - Amsterdam, around 630 miles in just over 6 hours including two petrol stops.

It's been a good year! The 550 never missed a beat, in fact the longer the trip the more she seemed to be singing her lungs out...

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #15 of 20 Old 02-03-2008, 06:22 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
It's been a good year! The 550 never missed a beat, in fact the longer the trip the more she seemed to be singing her lungs out...

Onno
That always seems to be the case from my experience, the longer the drive, the happier the Ferrari.
post #16 of 20 Old 02-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 56
Don't have the 550 yet, but the maiden voyage will be 350 miles from Atlanta to to Amelia Island. Exotic cars were meant to be driven and enjoyed.. We picked up the Bentley in Florida and drove back to PA just under 1k miles in 1 day. Dad and I switched off driving the whole time. Looking forward to getting the "F Car" and the 6 hour maiden voyage (or will that be 3 hour??). If only the US had proper speed limits... I've long held that we need some sort of graduated license system.
post #17 of 20 Old 02-04-2008, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Ciao Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Best blast was Innsbruck - Amsterdam, around 630 miles in just over 6 hours including two petrol stops.
Onno
You are my new hero. From what I can figure a pit stop usually take approx 10min to 15min so let us say it is 10 for argument sake that means you did the trip in 5hr 50min you were averaging 108mph wow dude you were driving it like you stole it good for you......

I drive back and forth from my city Regina to Calgary it is 764 km or 474 miles fastest time I did it in was 5hr 27min I only fill up once so lets say 5hr 17 min
so then I averaged only 90mph and I thought I was hauling a$$.

post #18 of 20 Old 02-05-2008, 03:47 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by the head View Post
I drove from Des Moines IA to Indianapolis IN for the US GP last year which is about 475mi each way in my Testarossa. It was a blast.
Are you the one who blew by me on I-70 just east of Terre Haute? Haha.

I was passed by a Testarossa who was simply flying along the morning of the first practice sessions.
post #19 of 20 Old 02-08-2008, 03:13 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
My longest trip was the one around Italy in April 2002. Starting in my 456 GT in Switzerland with my wife and my oldest daughter (at that time 3years old) and with about 15 playing dolls for her on the 2nd backseat to Rome, Naples, Reggio di Calabria at the very bottom of the "shoe" back over Matera, Bari, Ancona, Verona back to Switzerland. All in all 5'000km in 2 weeks. Great car to drive and very, very comfortable.
post #20 of 20 Old 02-08-2008, 10:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Life View Post
You are my new hero. From what I can figure a pit stop usually take approx 10min to 15min so let us say it is 10 for argument sake that means you did the trip in 5hr 50min you were averaging 108mph wow dude you were driving it like you stole it good for you......

I drive back and forth from my city Regina to Calgary it is 764 km or 474 miles fastest time I did it in was 5hr 27min I only fill up once so lets say 5hr 17 min
so then I averaged only 90mph and I thought I was hauling a$$.
The thing is that a large part of that drive was unrestricted Autobahn and it was relatively quiet on the roads on a Saturday morning. Close to a 1000kms without traffic jams is getting rare in Europe! When you are then also in a position to do 240km/h for an hour or two you improve your average rather a lot. In Holland I stuck to the speed limit of 120km/h which dropped my average again. I still got a fine, though, 2 miles from my house. 9 km/h over the limit. Groan!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode