430 vs Gallardo - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 01-29-2008, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
430 vs Gallardo

Newbie here, Before I start, please do not throw flames, I just want to get your opinion. Currently I have a Corvette and 911. Down the line I am considering either a used 430 or used Gallardo. Price wise they are similar but because 430 is harder to get, they usually priced higher than the Gallardo.
What do you think between the 2 cars (I am planning to drive about 5,000 Miles annually):
- How is the 430 maintenance, I was told that the newer 430 is much simpler to maintain compared to the 360
- Durability of the 430
- Fun to drive of 430 compared to other Ferrari or even the Lambo

Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-29-2008, 08:58 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
I haven't driven either, but was watching the Jeremy Clarkson comparison between the two convertible versions of these yesterday (I watch it a lot - great DVD).

In the end his conclusions were that either were a great choice. He just chose the Gallardo Spyder personally. It has a better sound track and styling (his words), but the Ferrari is lighter, nimbler and the better drive.

I suggest you go and drive them and judge for yourself.

In terms of maintenance I would think they are pretty similar. Ferrari's keep their value better, though, if you intend to up the mileage. I've also heard some of the early Gallardos had some reliability issues.

Good luck with your search!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 14 Old 01-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
OVerall, agree with Onno's advice. The 430 is going to be the better drivers car but the Gallardo does have a large amount of presence. Not sure I agree that the 430 is simpler to maintain than a 360. The 430 is a more complex car with more that can go wrong. In any event both are very reliable, especially by Ferrari standards, and can be used on a daily basis.

In terms of fun to drive, having driven both a 360 and a 430 back to back, not sure I noticed much of a difference. Both are great fun to drive, light, and extremely quick.

post #4 of 14 Old 01-30-2008, 11:51 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
I have the Clarkson DVD too and he was complimenatary to both and have to admit that if I were ever in a position to buy either it would be a difficult choice without having driven either. I love the look of the Gallardo, but would probably still go for the 430 because the Lambo isn't a Ferrari, but wouldn't blame you if bought the Lambo. (although the Lambo is an Audi, and I love Audi's - and I really miss my old Audi )

Archie
post #5 of 14 Old 01-31-2008, 01:49 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 28
Emotion

I believe that this king of decision is more like a "emotion feeling". If you are going to track it "going pro", things like chassis, brakes and other stuffs are going to be much more important. If you are going to use it on daily basis, comfort and visibility, driver's position and other things like that reaaaaally matters.

However, when you say you intend to do something like 5.000 miles per year, I think that you should choose the one that makes you heart beat stronger.

For me it would be the gallardo for the coupe or the 430 for the spyder.

The big trouble would be: "430spyder or Gallardo coupe". =)

But I still have some years to think about that. Nowadays I can't afford none of them... =)

Azp.

"If you can dream, you can make it happen".
post #6 of 14 Old 02-01-2008, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
Thanks

Thanks for all the input, from all my research, these 2 cars are basically a toss up, and personal prefference.
I driven the Murcielago, and it was fun, but it's a little louder for my taste. Have not tried the Gallardo.
Boxer, how did you persuade your wife in getting 4 exotics? Your collections are amazing......
Now I have to somehow convince my wife that I need to keep my Vette and get another exotic car
post #7 of 14 Old 02-02-2008, 12:36 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtian97 View Post
Boxer, how did you persuade your wife in getting 4 exotics? Your collections are amazing......
Thanks.

Simple answer, by also supporting her hobbies.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-02-2008, 02:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Thanks.

Simple answer, by also supporting her hobbies.
Boxer, have you thought about convincing your good lady to take up a new hobby, like collecting exotic supercars. You could really support her by acquiring 4 more

Archie
post #9 of 14 Old 02-02-2008, 03:38 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
Boxer, have you thought about convincing your good lady to take up a new hobby, like collecting exotic supercars. You could really support her by acquiring 4 more
I am afraid that would not be financially prudent.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-25-2009, 04:20 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 19
The f430 would be a better choice, it is much eaiser to maintain since the f360 had a timing belt and the new f430 has a timing chain.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-25-2009, 09:45 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdj89 View Post
The f430 would be a better choice, it is much eaiser to maintain since the f360 had a timing belt and the new f430 has a timing chain.
Not really, the 430 is a much more complex car that has may other items. (Running a 430 Challenge is 2x the cost of running a 360 Challenge) Also the belts are not a big issue on the 360 as they can be accessed via a panel in the firewall. It is not an engine out job like the 348 and F355.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-28-2009, 09:56 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Not really, the 430 is a much more complex car that has may other items. (Running a 430 Challenge is 2x the cost of running a 360 Challenge) Also the belts are not a big issue on the 360 as they can be accessed via a panel in the firewall. It is not an engine out job like the 348 and F355.
You are still changing the belts.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-29-2009, 09:24 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdj89 View Post
You are still changing the belts.
Yes but cost is about a quarter vs the F355 or 348.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-30-2009, 10:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtian97 View Post
Newbie here, Before I start, please do not throw flames, I just want to get your opinion. Currently I have a Corvette and 911.
This is not an issue...both are great cars. Many of us have had both. As for flames, I wear short sleeves here, so no flames to worry about.

Quote:
- How is the 430 maintenance, I was told that the newer 430 is much simpler to maintain compared to the 360
- Durability of the 430
- Fun to drive of 430 compared to other Ferrari or even the Lambo

Thanks for the input.
I believe your info is correct and assessment too. The lambo, frankly has that sex appeal, but way too much for me...course, I'm older, now.

Matter of fact any thing above what I have in terms of power [except that lovely 599 or SA ..sigh] is more than I need.

latest 430's are about as solid as they get, and going back to 4 valves was a good idea. Maintenance is lower, and the overall driving experience vs lambo, well, Ferrari has it beat.

You may not have to wait, for a lot of 430's are flooding the market.

What are you truly leaning towards....lambo and 430 are vastly different cars, almost like a ZR1 corvette vs 911 difference

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode