Price of cars around the world - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 01-03-2008, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 108
Price of cars around the world

I've often sat there thinking about the prices of cars - most of the people I chat online with are Aussie, US, or UK, and so I generally know pretty well the price of cars in each region. But I wanted to know more, so I went through a bunch of the worldwide Porsche 997 GT2 pages to check out prices from around the world. Real eye-opening stuff!

Full article here (with links to each reference page etc):
---> http://aussieexotics.com/2008/01/03/...ound-the-world

And here's the basic stats in $AUD at current exchange rates:
$218k - US
$269k - Canada
$270k - Japan
$291k - UK
$299k - Switzerland
$316k - Germany
$319k - France
$320k - Italy
$347k - Brunei
$349k - Spain
$425k - Australia
$465k - China
$504k - Hong Kong
$594k - Malaysia
$920k - Denmark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-03-2008, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 108
As far as the whacked out Denmark price goes, that is legitimate!

I've been googling and it seems Danes get taxed 180% of the car price to put a license plate on it!!!

Just google Denmark car taxes to look stuff up yourself and be amazed!
post #3 of 16 Old 01-03-2008, 03:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 275
In the Netherlands it will be around AUD $475k.

It's depressing to see so many greedy governments . Specially because it works contraproductive from environment and safety perspective. For instance the average car age in Denmark is over 10 years which means a lot of dirty, less fuel economic, less safe cars on the road.
And the differences in Europe shows the EU is still a long way to go...

On the positive side: The extra status when driving a Enzo or Veyron with dutch or denmark license plates (over AUD $1 million taxes)... ...

post #4 of 16 Old 01-03-2008, 04:32 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 44
Importing a gt2 with asking price 239.000,- Euro from Germany to Norway will end up at about AUD 656 500,- for my fellow Norwegians.

How high is the CO2-waste from a GT2?

Last edited by Carburetti; 01-03-2008 at 05:36 AM.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 439
Here in SA we have the same problem.

Checking the Porsche SA website, the GT2 is not listed but the 997 Turbo is R1,850,000 (before any options) and that equates to AU$307,000.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Ciao tutti

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashsimmonds View Post
I've often sat there thinking about the prices of cars - most of the people I chat online with are Aussie, US, or UK, and so I generally know pretty well the price of cars in each region. But I wanted to know more, so I went through a bunch of the worldwide Porsche 997 GT2 pages to check out prices from around the world. Real eye-opening stuff!

Full article here (with links to each reference page etc):
---> http://aussieexotics.com/2008/01/03/...ound-the-world

And here's the basic stats in $AUD at current exchange rates:
$218k - US
$269k - Canada
$270k - Japan
$291k - UK
$299k - Switzerland
$316k - Germany
$319k - France
$320k - Italy
$347k - Brunei
$349k - Spain
$425k - Australia
$465k - China
$504k - Hong Kong
$594k - Malaysia
$920k - Denmark
Holy sh#t it's bad enough prices between U S and Canada but more than 5x in Denmark WOW I think I will stop complaining now.

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #7 of 16 Old 01-05-2008, 01:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 44
Yes, Please do!!
post #8 of 16 Old 01-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Car prices are reasonable in the UK, but the dealers get their own back when you trade your old car in for a new one - I've just been screwed out of about 3K on the trade in value of my 2005 Audi cabriolet

Archie
post #9 of 16 Old 01-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
Car prices are reasonable in the UK, but the dealers get their own back when you trade your old car in for a new one - I've just been screwed out of about 3K on the trade in value of my 2005 Audi cabriolet
I remember when we went to trade in my wife's Nissan XTerra for a pre-owned Mercedes E-class diesel. He argued the trade in value of the XTerra down saying that he can go to auctions all day long and pick up XTerras, he didn't budge much on the price of the MB because at that time Mercedes diesels were no longer available in the USA.
Well about a year goes by and we were in there and happened to fancy a brand new E500 wagon. Nice car. I asked the salesman to run some numbers for me. He came back with a trade in value for the E300 that dropped my jaw. You've got to be kidding, the car is worth way more than that. I asked him to justify the ridiculously low price he was going to give me on the trade and he says, "Well, they stopped importing the Mercedes diesel."

"OK, now wait a minute. A year ago that was a selling point." Needless to say we kept the E300 and it has been a great car. 5 passenger luxury car that gets 35 mpg. Can't beat it.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #10 of 16 Old 01-05-2008, 02:44 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carburetti View Post
Yes, Please do!!
He won't.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #11 of 16 Old 01-06-2008, 12:13 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
I remember when we went to trade in my wife's Nissan XTerra for a pre-owned Mercedes E-class diesel. He argued the trade in value of the XTerra down saying that he can go to auctions all day long and pick up XTerras, he didn't budge much on the price of the MB because at that time Mercedes diesels were no longer available in the USA.
Well about a year goes by and we were in there and happened to fancy a brand new E500 wagon. Nice car. I asked the salesman to run some numbers for me. He came back with a trade in value for the E300 that dropped my jaw. You've got to be kidding, the car is worth way more than that. I asked him to justify the ridiculously low price he was going to give me on the trade and he says, "Well, they stopped importing the Mercedes diesel."

"OK, now wait a minute. A year ago that was a selling point." Needless to say we kept the E300 and it has been a great car. 5 passenger luxury car that gets 35 mpg. Can't beat it.
Motor dealers and traders are great at telling you the car you are about to buy is highly sought after, then when you want to trade it in 12 months later they reckon there is no demand for that type of car. I'm pretty pissed about my Audi, I bought it brand new in July 2005, paid 31K GBP for it, here we are 2 1/2 yrs and 28K miles later and all I can get from a trader is 16K for it, makes me sick when cars with higher mileages and lower specs are on the traders lots for 23K, I was hoping to get 19K min for it, but needs must, we need a good reliable family car so it's got to go. Depreciation has cost me 500 per month, and they say that cars with 4 rings on the hood are amongst the lowest depreciators At least the used Benz I'm buying has been hit for 10K depreciation in the first 12 months, so hopefully it wont lose me as much as 500 pm over the next 2 yrs.

Archie
post #12 of 16 Old 01-06-2008, 12:17 AM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
He won't.
You got that right.

post #13 of 16 Old 01-06-2008, 12:34 AM
Owner

Garage
Ciao tutti

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
Motor dealers and traders are great at telling you the car you are about to buy is highly sought after, then when you want to trade it in 12 months later they reckon there is no demand for that type of car. I'm pretty pissed about my Audi, I bought it brand new in July 2005, paid 31K GBP for it, here we are 2 1/2 yrs and 28K miles later and all I can get from a trader is 16K for it, makes me sick when cars with higher mileages and lower specs are on the traders lots for 23K, I was hoping to get 19K min for it, but needs must, we need a good reliable family car so it's got to go. Depreciation has cost me 500 per month, and they say that cars with 4 rings on the hood are amongst the lowest depreciators At least the used Benz I'm buying has been hit for 10K depreciation in the first 12 months, so hopefully it wont lose me as much as 500 pm over the next 2 yrs.
I have herd it time and again and it's always the same you buy new you get screwed period unless you are buying a really high end car.
I have never bought new always a couple or more years older the initial depreciation is over with and I rarely loose money on the after sale and I always sell privately and never trade in. Sure it is a bit more time consuming but to save 3, 4, 5, even $10000 dollars is worth my time.
Yes there are benefits to buying new but not enough to justify a20% depreciation. My 2 ct

post #14 of 16 Old 01-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Life View Post
I have herd it time and again and it's always the same you buy new you get screwed period unless you are buying a really high end car.
I have never bought new always a couple or more years older the initial depreciation is over with and I rarely loose money on the after sale and I always sell privately and never trade in. Sure it is a bit more time consuming but to save 3, 4, 5, even $10000 dollars is worth my time.
Yes there are benefits to buying new but not enough to justify a20% depreciation. My 2 ct
Selling privately is always best, but I just don't have the time or the patience to do it. I really don't want countless 'tyrekickers' coming around my house with no intentions or means to buy my car.

You're right on the depreciation hit, I've bought approx 10 brand new cars in the last 15 yrs and must have lost well over 100K, I daren't even total it up as it's probably nearer 150K . I've finally learned my lesson and am only going to buy late used cars with the balance of the manufacturers warranty now.

As for finance, that's a mugs game too - making monthly payments and paying interest on something that's losing you money every month. Your taking the hit twice then.

Archie
post #15 of 16 Old 02-21-2008, 05:09 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 224
archiegibbs, totally agree. Didn't order mine until I knew I had the cash - why pay twice. And like you mine is 18 months old - extended warranty organised, but at massively reduced cost from new.

In Spain the tax on a new car or import is now 30.5% (from Jan 2008) based on licence registration and Co2 costs.
post #16 of 16 Old 02-22-2008, 03:39 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 17
About Danish car taxes:

We first add 25% VAT to the car's price then 105% on a small part of the cars price included VAT and 180% on the rest included VAT - this means that we pay 180% tax even on the VAT amount End result "Buy one - pay for three !!! "
When you import a car - as I am in the process of doing - you must have it valued, and the tax will be around 63% of the cars total value in Denmark at the time of import. I.e.. a car valued at 500 k.DKK will be taxed about 315 k.DKK.

In my own case i bought a 1992 348 TS in UK (LHD) which will cost me about 150% of my purchase price in taxes I am going to have to pay the taxes very soon in order to have the car "road ready" for spring time

Best regards

Erik B

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode