Ferrari F430 F1 March - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 12-27-2007, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
Ferrari F430 F1 March

Hi all,

This is my first post so please bare with me but I had a few questions and would love you guys to answer them. If you need to move this thread guys, please do....

Basically, I drive a Jaguar XJR and after 2 years of driving something that I absolutely love, i've decided to get myself a proper sports car. So, i'm getting a ferrari f430 spider f1. It is from the ferrari dealer, brand new and will be arriving in March and I am the happiest guy in the world.

I have a few questions though:

1) Apparently ceramic brakes will be as standard on f430's in 2007. What does this do to the value of the car?

2) Is it true you need to heat up ceramic brakes a lot more than normal ones before you go to any high speeds?

3) I went for the f1 paddle shift. A lot of people ask questions about this mechanism. I am also slightly confused. I've driven many manuals/automatics before but this is my first paddle shift car.

i) I understand there is no clutch pedal? So in f1 mode, do you need to press the brake each time to change gear up/down, or does the cpu do this automatically?

ii) Stupid question but is it possible to stall? If so, how? (not that you'd want to)

iii) I heard that using the AUTO button can damage the clutch if used, how does this happen? Can you not just coast on AUTO in traffic like a normal automatic car?

iv)Obviously I will be using the paddle shift when I want to enjoy the car's power but I live in London and traffic is an issue. What do most F430 drivers use when the traffic is at stand-still or slow-moving?

Thank you for reading this, I hope my questions aren't too juvenile. I am extremely excited and just want everything to be perfect.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-28-2007, 07:22 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 92
Not trying to be a dick but wouldnt it be easier to go to the F dealer and ask for a testride in a similar car that you have just purchased?

It's always a pretty good idea to test both 6sp and F1 anyway prior to buying the car. Just to see what you enjoy more.

EDIT: I can't help you with the questions by the way cause my car is a 6 speed But I'm sure there's lots of people with F1's over here.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-28-2007, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike aka Bike View Post
Not trying to be a dick but wouldnt it be easier to go to the F dealer and ask for a testride in a similar car that you have just purchased?

It's always a pretty good idea to test both 6sp and F1 anyway prior to buying the car. Just to see what you enjoy more.

EDIT: I can't help you with the questions by the way cause my car is a 6 speed But I'm sure there's lots of people with F1's over here.
Thanks for the reply, it would make sense but sadly I'm a long way from the dealer and I had to spec the car, put a deposit in right away as it was a cancellation that I managed to hijack!

Also, I can't have a test-drive due to me not being over 25, but I have driven my uncle's 6 speed one and it is fantastic!

I'm just glad to be part of the ferrari world!

post #4 of 11 Old 12-28-2007, 09:32 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by motisingh View Post
Also, I can't have a test-drive due to me not being over 25, but I have driven my uncle's 6 speed one and it is fantastic!

I'm just glad to be part of the ferrari world!
Yet another inspiring success story of a 25 y.o. new poster who just became the clueless owner of a F430/F360/F599/F612/F-Enzo...yada, yada, yada.

"Liberals are the pallbearers of societies"

'88.3 Testarossa
'83 Mondial QV (sold!)
post #5 of 11 Old 12-28-2007, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungathart View Post
Yet another inspiring success story of a 25 y.o. new poster who just became the clueless owner of a F430/F360/F599/F612/F-Enzo...yada, yada, yada.
Ok, very strange response....I thought I was quite polite with my questions, what did I anger you over?
post #6 of 11 Old 12-29-2007, 06:11 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
I think the previous poster was referring to the fact that there certain people who can afford these cars but don't really appreciate them. I think it's premature of him to lump you in with that crowd, although the questions you are asking are a bit surprising - one would have thought a Ferrari dealership that sells you a car can't refuse you a test drive. It would also be more logical if you had asked these questions when putting down your deposit.

But be that as it may, and giving you the benefit of the doubt - I'll give you some answers. Please note I do not have any direct experience with the F430 so these may not all be correct.

1) Ceramic brakes are standard as of 2008, not 2007. It means your car is more expensive to buy (compared to non-ceramic) and that you don't have the option anymore of taking it off. Your car will be worth a couple of grand more than one with regular brakes when you come to selling it.

2) Ceramic brakes do need more warming up before they give maximum performance. This would only prevent a problem when driving close to the limit, though (such as on a circuit).

3) i) When you drive an automatic, do you touch the brakes when you shift up or down? No. So why should an F1 transmission be any different? The computer does the declutching and clutching for you (and double-declutching in some cases - I think the F430 does that on downshifts but not sure).

ii) Can you stall an automatic? Again, F1 is the same. If you let it drop down a hill in neutral (thus rolling backwards) and then engage 1st without giving throttle, I'm sure it will stall.

iii) Clutch wear is in a lot of cases down to city stop-start or creeping traffic. You can't really crawl forward in an F1, it likes revs because the clutch is either on or off. When you use auto in those situations (like on the M25), clutches have been known to wear fast.

iv) See above. I think you need to budget for some clutches, living in London...

Hope this helps and apologies if some bits of this are not entirely accurate - as mentioned this is based on other peoples' experiences not my own (my 550 is a glorious H gate!).

Finally: congratulations on a fabulous car! The F430 is awesome.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 11 Old 12-29-2007, 10:00 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Just building on JazzO's comments, the F1 gearbox is still a manual gearbox (just with a computer controlled clutch). Hence the 'automatic' mode does not mean the gearbox performs the same way one would in an Auto equiped Merc. Auto just means that the computer handles the shifts at preprogramed points.

As you are buying from a UK Ferrari dealer, I believe you should get a Free limited or Junior membership to Fiorano Ferrari which gives you access to Ferrari UK track days As you are new to Ferraris, I would strongly suggest signing up for a day with an instructor who will be able to show you how to get the most out of the 430.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-29-2007, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Thank you very much for the help guys.

I will definently visit this forum more and contribute more in the future.

post #9 of 11 Old 12-29-2007, 11:43 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by motisingh View Post
Thank you very much for the help guys.

I will definently visit this forum more and contribute more in the future.

Here is the link to the Fiorano Ferrari website:

http://www.fioranoferrari.com/site.asp
post #10 of 11 Old 12-30-2007, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Here is the link to the Fiorano Ferrari website:

http://www.fioranoferrari.com/site.asp
cheers
post #11 of 11 Old 12-31-2007, 09:45 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungathart View Post
Come on now us texan's are know for more courtesy and respect than that.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode