I need your advice! - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 12-11-2007, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
I need your advice!

I need some suggestions on a tall guy friendly Ferrari. I don't have a lot to spend- something like $30k. I've always wanted a 288 GTO, so I've been looking at the closest looking model, the 308 GTB. I finally found one I liked in town and went to check it out and I could not let the clutch out without my leg hitting the steering wheel! Fact is, I would be very happy with almost any Ferrari I could afford, so I come to you for suggestions. does anyone know of a car that has some leg room? I'm 6'6" (78") tall so I know it wont be easy. Then again, Shaq had his Lamborghini modified so he could drive it and he's nearly 7', maybe I should just buy the 308 and get it modified?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-11-2007, 09:09 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Any Italian car made before the mid-90ies has this issue, and the older they are the more problematic it is. I'm 6'2" with relatively long legs, and I have this problem to a lesser extent but it is still very noticeable.

Personally, I have found that spending a little time in finding a position with splayed legs gets me comfortable enough to drive the car without being constantly annoyed. I had a 1982 Alfa GTV6 which had this problem in spades (with a very heavy clutch to boot) but driving it daily didn't phase me. The 328 GTS of my brother had it a little less so, but still it was tight.

I know a guy who's (I'm guessing - he's definitely taller than I am) 6'4" or 6'5" who owns a 1977 308GT4 and he takes it on 7 - 8 hour trips through Europe. He doesn't seem to find it a problem at all.

Bottom line: for a reasonable fit you need a F355, 550, 456, or something more recent than that (my 550 fits like a glove, I don't even have the seat all the way back. You would fit in without any issue). These cars fall outside of your budget. If you want to drive a Ferrari for your kind of money, you're going to have to accept a more awkward driving position.

Regarding modification, I can't help you I'm afraid, but it seems to me it would be quite expensive. I don't think you can move the bulkhead as the engine would be in the way, so the only solutions I can think of would be a Gurney bubble or a lengthening of the chassis. Both would be prohibitively expensive, and severly compromise resale value.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 6 Old 12-12-2007, 01:59 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Yeah, this topic has come up before and I think the concensus has been that 6' 4" is the maximum size a human can comfortably fit in a 308. Sorry Dude.

You should have started smoking when you were 13 to stunt your growth.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."

post #4 of 6 Old 12-12-2007, 03:49 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
Yeah, this topic has come up before and I think the concensus has been that 6' 4" is the maximum size a human can comfortably fit in a 308. Sorry Dude.

Pete, you missed an opportunity for our new business there, the R.A.P.E Cosmentic surgery clinic, founded by Dr. Pete & Dr. Arch. You should have quoted him for our R.A.P.E leg reduction procedures as prescribed for Dmitri a few months ago. Strangely enough, he hasn't been around for a while, I hope he hasn't caught septisimia or MRSA or even Ebola - I do remember telling you at the time, it would have been sensible to sterilise your chainsaw, mind you he never complained at the time, 2 bottles of Jack Daniels is a great aneasthetic (I still think you should have shared it with Dmitri )

Archie
post #5 of 6 Old 12-13-2007, 09:16 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post

Just looked it up: Tom Selleck (Magnum P.I.) was 6'4", so there's proof that that length can work if you drive a GTS in nice weather. Doesn't help if you're 6'6" though.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 6 Old 12-15-2007, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Thanks guys. If Magnum can do it, i can do it. I'm currently driving an 81 corvette and it's not particularly comfortable, but i can drive it. one thing that helps a lot in the vette is the telescopic wheel, it comes out far enough to get past the real height of my knees. maybe if i just extended the wheel in a 308, it would suffice. i cant say comfort is a real big concern, but i do need to be able to let the clutch out. anybody know of a reason why i couldnt extend the wheel?

Pete- I did start smoking at about 13, so i can only assume i wouldve been like 6'9" or so. I guess i milked that one for all it was worth.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode