I going to buy i Testarossa... - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 12-11-2007, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
I going to buy i Testarossa...

I would like to know your experience of witch yearmodel of -91 -92 is best, what differents they hawe and so?
I would like to hawe some information please. I hawe always like Testarossa all my life and i going to buy one very soon but i want some information first.

If you hawe time please go in and look at my Chevy Camaro Iroc Z28 as i am a proud owner of today.

Site:
www.gatbilar.se/chrillesnakeman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
I don't have any experience with the Testarossa. But I can see you've put a lot of love into that Z-28. I imagine in Sweden that IROC is just about as rare to see on the road as a Ferrari.

Good luck with your search!

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #3 of 13 Old 12-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Suggest you PM carguy. He is the inhouse Testarossa expert.

post #4 of 13 Old 12-11-2007, 03:06 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Suggest you PM carguy. He is the inhouse Testarossa expert.
ahem...

j/K!

1992 Black Lamborghini Diablo
1992 Red Ferrari 512TR
post #5 of 13 Old 12-11-2007, 08:46 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergts1998 View Post
ahem...

j/K!
Apologies

I recommended carguy as I know he has owned several different TRs. Net thought he might be able to give a broader view on the differences between the various version.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-12-2007, 02:03 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergts1998 View Post
ahem...
j/K!
OK, Yeah, I "suppose" this silvergts1998 guy might know a thing or 2 about the Testarossa.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #7 of 13 Old 12-12-2007, 06:27 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 116
I am just joking...Car guy knows a lot about the TRS.

1992 Black Lamborghini Diablo
1992 Red Ferrari 512TR
post #8 of 13 Old 12-12-2007, 07:14 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 566
Nice IROC; I'll trade ya: major service this Fall killed me!

"Liberals are the pallbearers of societies"

'88.3 Testarossa
'83 Mondial QV (sold!)
post #9 of 13 Old 12-15-2007, 07:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
"....ahem..." ...quote from silvergts1998.......LOL !!

Silvergts1998 (Adam) has done a crash course on 512TR education, and passed with flying colors I would say (huge understatement!). I too enjoyed following along while he was doing his engine-out job, he did a terrific job of taking pictures and explaining things. I have done several engine-outs and other jobs on Testarossas, but not a 512TR.

There are lots of very knowledgeable people out there. I am simply an enthusiast - who by lack of monetary resources must do his own work. I try and help whenever I can....if I can. It's great to have Adam here - he knowledge of both Ferraris and Lamborghinis!!
post #10 of 13 Old 12-16-2007, 12:46 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy View Post
"....ahem..." ...quote from silvergts1998.......LOL !!

There are lots of very knowledgeable people out there. I am simply an enthusiast - who by lack of monetary resources must do his own work. I try and help whenever I can....if I can. It's great to have Adam here - he knowledge of both Ferraris and Lamborghinis!!
Very nicely put. It is great to be able to tap into two great knowledge pools.
post #11 of 13 Old 12-17-2007, 02:02 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
Hey Chrillesnakeman...what brand of wheels are those on your Z-28? They look a lot like the "classic" Cragar style, one of my favorites from my old musclecar days.

To comment on Boxer's statement....

"Very nicely put. It is great to be able to tap into two great knowledge pools."

Very Kind words.....Thank You! I would like to offer an observation about this web forum. We all know there are several good Ferrari websites out there. The really large website often suffers from too many conflicting personalities, too many self-appointed experts with big ego to stroke, and too many non-listeners who don't heed good advice that's freely given to them. This website is different. I've never seen a bad word or comment about another member here - and I think that is remarkable. Everyone here is so open and honest, and we all respect each other....which is the most important thing. It's so refreshing in this rat-race of a world we live in.

From what I know of Silver1998gts (Adam)....we will all benifit from his knowledge and experience. I'm very impressed with the job he did on his 512TR, and am watching for more on his Diablo (2 of my favorite cars!). I can't wait to see what he's up to next.... :-)
post #12 of 13 Old 12-18-2007, 09:08 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
I'm Going to Buy a Testarossa

Checkout website www.red-headed.com/index2.html
Owning a TR requires passion, for these Ferraris can be labors of love. The engines are bullet-proof, provided you keep them maintained, do the belt service when required, and don't do insane things when you drive them. The transaxle in the 91'92's is stronger than the earlier models. The double plate hydraulic clutch won't last long if you do juvenile burnouts. They are expensive to maintain....a clutch kit, for example, costs $2400. They are a little twitchy at speed because there is no power assist to the steering, so you feel everything on the road surface. For corners, you need to get braking done before you enter them, and if you apply the throttle recklessly, you'll loose the rear end, right now. I've owned an early TR for several years. I do a lot of my own work, but I leave the tough stuff to the experts. There seems to be no middle ground on opinions concerning the TR...People either love them or hate them.....I love them...
post #13 of 13 Old 12-18-2007, 09:22 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
I am going to buy a Testarossa

One more point. There are significant differences between a 1991 Testrossa and a 1992 512TR. Apparently, the 512 TR is more desirable, but that may be a taste issue as much as anything. The biggest difference is horsepower, with 91 TR at 390 and the 92 512TR are 422. The other big difference is the price. 512TRs currently command a premium because of the demand. They list as high $125K but the average prices, for an average 512 TR is probably somewhere around $75K. A good 1991 Testarossa can be had for a lot less.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode