365 GT4 2+2 1973 - smoking a little - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 12-05-2007, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
365 GT4 2+2 1973 - smoking a little

Hi, I recently bought a 365 GT4 2+2 ( 1973 model) it has 60k miles on the clock and very good history. The engine was rebuild at 52k and the car runs perfectly. However there is a bit of smoke coming out of one bank of exhausts (RHS). My usual mechanic suggested that it could be a blockage in one of the breather pipes or something similar. I have had the carbs rebalanced professionally but this has not fixed the porblem. When the engine is rev'd and the dip stick is removed smoke escapes through this outlet. Does anyone know if this is more serious issue or if not where do i start to investigate the problem, thx Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-05-2007, 09:24 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
What color is the smoke and when does it happen ?
post #3 of 13 Old 12-05-2007, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

generally its most noticable when pulling away from standing start at lights etc. blue-ish in colour - like the engine is burning a little oil - it is not so noticible in higher gears

post #4 of 13 Old 12-05-2007, 10:07 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Blue is not good. Sounds like it could be a problem with the valves.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-05-2007, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

the valves - as in they need to be reground? I'm finding it hard to obtain decent workshop manual other than the service book that comes with the car. Any ideas where I might be able to obtain one? thanks Andrew
post #6 of 13 Old 12-06-2007, 01:45 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
I wouldn't beat yourself up over it.

With the low mileage and the smoke coming out the dipstick tube, it sounds like you've got some blow-by from the piston rings. It is possible that while the car was sitting a bit of rust may have formed on the cylinder walls and the rings aren't getting a good seal. Gasses are blowing past the rings on combustion causing the crankcase pressure and too much oil is left on the cylinder walls during intake and this is causing the smoke. I don't know what year the rebuild was but if it is recent it is possible that the rings just haven't yet seated. Drive the car!

What I would do if I were you would be to go through the crankcase ventilation system, have a compression test and a cylinder leakdown test. The latter will tell you the shape the engine is in. As long as the leakdown is less than 20% I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just keep an eye on the spark plugs and realize it burns a little oil.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #7 of 13 Old 12-06-2007, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Capt. Will do as you say. not too worried as its only a slight bit of smoke - car had rebuild 9k miles ago but it took 8 years to run up the miles. I intend to do a bit more.

Andew
post #8 of 13 Old 12-06-2007, 07:02 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

post #9 of 13 Old 12-22-2007, 10:52 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
Thats a very interesting tech article. My question is why would a car with such low miles need all new valve train? Is it because it has sat around so much or are the engines only good for 60k miles?
post #10 of 13 Old 12-24-2007, 08:54 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak Jim View Post
Thats a very interesting tech article. My question is why would a car with such low miles need all new valve train? Is it because it has sat around so much or are the engines only good for 60k miles?
It is age and sitting. Ferrari engines overall are very strong. It is not uncommon to get 100k miles out of an engine before it needs a rebuild. Problem is, very few owners ever put that sort of mileage on a Ferrari.
post #11 of 13 Old 12-24-2007, 11:49 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
I guess it is kind of like airplanes, the more they are used the better they are!
post #12 of 13 Old 12-25-2007, 08:03 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
I guess it is kind of like airplanes, the more they are used the better they are!
Exactly, a happy Ferrari is one that gets run regularily.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-29-2007, 05:09 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Re: 365 GT4 2+2 1973 - smoking a little

Quote:
If a rebuilt car sits for too long the intake valve guide seals can harden and allow oil to seep past them. I've seen old seals literally fall apart on other makes. The quality of the rebuild would also be a factor.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode