Hello and help - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-24-2003, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 21
Hello and help

Hi everyone,
I've been browsing the forum for a while now in preparation for my first question.
I've just become the proud owner of a 1981 308GTSi with full history and having undergone a full body restoration and engine re-build 4 years ago.
While I learn about the car and all the different sounds it makes, I have noticed what I would describe as a 'Bearing whine' as the engine reaches about 3000rpm. ( only when warm ) I thought at first it might be a wheel baering but am now convinced its engine related.
For reference, the cam belt service was only undertaken about 400 miles ago.
I realise I'm on the other side of the pond in England but any suggestions, tips etc. would be appreciated.
Thanks in anticipation,
Mick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-24-2003, 05:28 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Hello,
I'm sorry I cannot help with your question but someone will answer soon I'm sure. I just wanted to welcome you to the forum and let you know alot of members are in your area and we help all users no matter what side of the pond they are on.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-24-2003, 08:54 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 575
Mick, its very difficult to interpret people's descriptions of engine noises, but I can suggest the source could be:

-Whoever did the timing-belt work, did NOT replace the belt tensioners and they could be worn-out, dried-out, etc...

-The lower cam-belt-drive pulley's bearings are a known weak spot as they don't get adequate lubrication (solved on later F.I. and QV cars with sealed cartridge bearings). They don't get serviced by the techs as its a MAJOR task to remove & replace.

-You should also consider the water-pump, the A/C pump and alternator as the sources of the noise too.

Does the noise occur only at that RPM, or at other points (before/after/over a range of points/etc...)?
Attached Images

post #4 of 8 Old 03-25-2003, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

engine noise

Hi guys and thanks for the input so far. Peter, after I discounted the noise as a wheel bearing, my first thought went towards the alternater. Being very specific, the noise only appears when the engine is up to working temperature. It always comes in between 2700 and 3000rpm. It doesnt seem to get any louder with increase in engine revs(although as you will realise, thats hard to tell with the engine singing behind you)
As the engine slows down, the noise doesn't stop suddenly but fades out gradually. I would liken it to a worn/dry ball race or roller bearing that vibrates more or less as the frequency of the worn balls/rollers gets out of step.
Your diagnosis of tensioners sound very likely
Would you agree?
Besat regards, Mick
post #5 of 8 Old 03-25-2003, 07:58 AM
Owner

Hey Mick,

You may be on the other side of the pond, but you're definately in the same boat as us yankees.

Welcome aboard, and your country can swim in our pond anytime.

Thanks for having the balls to stand up for what's right.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-25-2003, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Hi Rivee,

thanks for your encouraging welcome. Apart from anything else, its nice to know that Italian engineering and passion brings people together to share a common enthusiasm for all things worth living for, ( particularly Ferraris )
Nice to be a member of the forum.
Cheers,
Mick
post #7 of 8 Old 03-25-2003, 08:04 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 575
Mick, you can confirm by listening to the tensioners using a mechanic's stethoscope (like a doctor's 'scope, but instead with just a plain tube on the end).
post #8 of 8 Old 03-26-2003, 12:45 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,211
Welcome here, I can't help you, cause I'm not a technician, but your time here :wink:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode