want to be a ferrari mechanic - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-21-2003, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 12
want to be a ferrari mechanic

hey guys. first time poster here. ive decided recently that i would like to become a ferrari mechanic, but have no idea where to start. im in the US so if anyone could give me any info that would be great. i would be starting from the ground up being 18 so im assuming it would be a tough road but i think im up for it. thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-22-2003, 06:26 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,082
Welcome

it's very easy
do you have experience with cars??
do you have a diploma in carmechanics (or whatever they call it in the US)

cuz that's what the ferrari garages look for
post #3 of 11 Old 03-22-2003, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 12
no i dont. like i said id be starting from the ground up so im wonder what schools look the best to ferrari. i was thinking about UTI or Wyotech but like to know what others think are good places to start. theres gotta be at least ONE ferrari mechanic in here. tell me how you got to where you are!

post #4 of 11 Old 03-22-2003, 09:24 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 575
There is a member of this forum who is around your age, that is a "mechanic" (although I haven't seen him around lately).

Basically he got his start by apprenticing, as he has no formal mechanical education (although he does own a 308 QV which he's rebuilding/hot-rodding HIMSELF, which I'm sure helped him land the job).

I work in the trades (welder/fabricator/trailer mechanic) and like any trade, you start from the bottom (worst jobs). How you move on up, depends on how good you are...
post #5 of 11 Old 03-23-2003, 12:29 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 40
poormansferrari

There are many ways to go about becoming a technician. One of the best is to enroll in a community college auto tech program. There are many different colleges all around the U.S. that do a wonderful job. Some are even aligned with different manufacturers.

I graduated from a community college with an Associates of Applied Sciences Degree. That was in 1981. I have been with Toyota since 1979. The college I went to actually got me the job I still have. I am a Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician as well as a, ASE Master Technician. I never had the chance to work for a Ferrari Dealer because I live in a market that is too small to support such a dealership. I do however, maintain 3 or 4 Ferraris that live in my city.

I recieved a good education at college, but more importantly, the degree opened doors. Taking and passing the ASE tests is also important. Todays autos, including Ferraris, are filled with electronic controls. It takes very specific knowledge to properly diagnose and repair todays autos. At times I feel more like a TV repairman. If you have all of your ASE's you have a proven knowledge of todays systems.

All shops, independant as well as factory supported, are looking for qualified technicians. If you get the education, you will be in demand. A person can make a good living as a technician. My only negative for my career is having to work only on commision. If my shop is slow, I don't make a living. I am 100% commission and as such, some weeks are good and some are not.

good luck

steve
post #6 of 11 Old 05-12-2009, 05:06 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
I know this thread has worm bare (haha) but I thought I'd throw this in. Ferrari has a school for their mechanics, in Italy. They teach you how to weld aluminum, hold your red wine, and work with their diagnostic equipment and so on:

<P/>http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=5278
post #7 of 11 Old 05-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
The interest is of note but you'll need experience.

You might start with any local garages to gain a variety of experience. You have to know what's what and that comes from hands on experience.

Quite honestly I doubt there are fany Ferrari garages that will let an inexperienced 18 year old touch a Ferrari!

The old statement, Rank Has Its Privilege, is a valuable one. You have to earn your knowledge, and that comes from experience.

So, start gaining your experience and hopefully that will land you in a Ferrari shop.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-17-2009, 11:29 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by poormansferari View Post
hey guys. first time poster here. ive decided recently that i would like to become a ferrari mechanic, but have no idea where to start. im in the US so if anyone could give me any info that would be great. i would be starting from the ground up being 18 so im assuming it would be a tough road but i think im up for it. thanks in advance!
hi! i am abaut 17 and i love cars.i work like a mechanic with my father since i was 6 years old.my dream is being a mechanic of ferrari!!!!!!!!i don't now if this dream will be a reality in my life but i hope on this.cars are my life!!!!!!!
most of the time i spend with them!!!!!!!!i fill good when i am repairing a car or
driving it.!!!!!!i hope that a day this dream will be a reality and then i will be the hapiest in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bye,joni.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-18-2009, 06:44 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 67
The tech schools are ok, but if you can find a community college with a auto 2 year degree it is better and cheaper. The AA degree will make you take some class that are basic education classes but in the long run the employeer will be more interested in hiring you. Take and pass every AES that you can.
Know one kid that went to work (poor pay) as a lot boy for a Ferrari dealer washing cars sweeping floors while he was in school. Later they let him do some more work and after getting out of school took him in working on the cars.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-18-2009, 09:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
I doubt it is important what shool from which you graduated.

More important that you have competence.

Take all the courses you can, get work with some independents doing M-B, BMW, etc, and learn detail.

It will take you a very long time because there are few Ferrari dealers and good independents and they can afford to be chosey! They want mature and experienced workers.

Take your time. It will not happen over night!
post #11 of 11 Old 08-18-2009, 11:09 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by joni View Post
hi! i am abaut 17 and i love cars.i work like a mechanic with my father since i was 6 years old.my dream is being a mechanic of ferrari!!!!!!!!i don't now if this dream will be a reality in my life but i hope on this.cars are my life!!!!!!!
most of the time i spend with them!!!!!!!!i fill good when i am repairing a car or
driving it.!!!!!!i hope that a day this dream will be a reality and then i will be the hapiest in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bye,joni.
i read the message that you sent to me.
i dont said you that i am from albania and here is not a school like that!!!
there is university but a i don't know if that school is enough for being part of ferrari mechanic.can you tell me what can i do????
thanks,joni!!!!!!!!!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode