New addition to the family (No - not another Ferrari!) - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-18-2003, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
New addition to the family (No - not another Ferrari!)

Marni had a Nissan XTerra and it was a good car but didn't get great gas mileage. Here we are, we got 5 cars, 4 of them are 4WD and one is a Ferrari. We need a good daily driver for her, one that gets good gas mileage (she put 60k miles on her XTerra in 2 years). I was thinking a VW Jetta TDI and we drove one, nice car but it was a standard, she wants an automatic. We drove the Honda Civic Hybrid, again, nice car but in 8 years it needs $2,000 worth of batteries. So I said "What do you want?" She said "I Always wanted a Mercedes". So we went online to the local dealer and he had 3 diesel cars. We drove down and he had 1 left.
We ended up driving home in it. A '99 E-300 Turbo Diesel sedan. I guess you can still get diesel MB's in Europe but in the US the '99 is the last year they were available. Awesome car! Drives like a gas-powered V-8 but gets 36 mpg!
Attached Images

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-18-2003, 08:13 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Pete,
Awesome parking job with the Jeep. Absolutely wonderful.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-18-2003, 08:28 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 575
Nice. I agree, that parking job with the jeep is hilarious. Make sure it doesn't roll into the brand new Benz though...

post #4 of 9 Old 03-19-2003, 04:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 454
Pete,

It's almost looking Ferrari friendly there! Is that true?? Has break-up started? I hope so as I know it's been a long winter for you northern folks!

Forza,

Dane
post #5 of 9 Old 03-19-2003, 04:53 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,211
Yeah, that Jeep is parked wonderfull, but my guess is that it took some time to get back in it... aspecially on the left side... :-?
post #6 of 9 Old 03-19-2003, 06:07 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,082
:lol:
Pete
nice parking job man, did you do that on purpose for the pics??

and there are no diesel merc available in the US???
why did they stop importing them?
post #7 of 9 Old 03-19-2003, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
To All,
No I didn't park it there for the pic, it just happen to be there and got into the pic. I was out driving around on the lawn trying to winch out my car trailer and that's where I left it when I was done. When it comes to parking, you can always find a spot with the Jeep!

Bob - I am going to work tomorrow for 3 weeks, I am willing to bet that the Jeep will be level when I get back so it shouldn't be too hard to get into it.

Dane - Almost Ferrari weather! Last couple of days have been real spring-like. I was able to screw up the ambition to work on my car and got it running. The snow and ice is melting but it ain't quite Ferrari weather yet. The roads are a mess because of the run-off.

DJ - Yeah, '99 was the last year the diesel was available in an American-market Benz. Supply and Demand I guess. Gas is (was) cheap and people want the quiet, smoothness and power of a gas engine. As the fuel prices climb back up I am willing to bet MB will re-introduce the diesel to the American market.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #8 of 9 Old 03-19-2003, 09:12 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,082
man you are crazy
"and that's where I left it when I was done" :lol:

well over here diesel is cheaper, so people that drive a lot get a diesel, and besides the new diesel engines nowadays are a lot quiter and they have a lot of HP.
i've driven an Audi A8 and Merc S diesels and i can tell you that they are very quit and lot's of HP
post #9 of 9 Old 06-12-2003, 07:52 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 20
I must also commend you on the way you parked that Jeep, Pete. And as long it doesn't roll into the Mercedes, that car should last you a long time. I've heard that a diesel Mercedes can survive as long as a million kilometers.

Looks like the US is similar to Australia when it comes to fuel choices. I can't understand why some people seem to resent diesel power. Still, as fuel prices went up in Australia, so did the variety of diesel powered cars available.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode