View Poll Results: Coupe or Spider
Coupe 104 48.37%
Spider 111 51.63%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 116 Old 10-11-2007, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Coupe or Spider

This is another tough question. Coupe or Spider?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 116 Old 10-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
I've gone for the spider as I currently own 2 convertible cars, and have owned 8 others in the last 20 years.
However, that doesn't mean I would always have a spider over a coupe, some F car spiders don't look as good as their coupe sisters and others that were designed as coupe and have later been converted, should have been left well alone. I'm thinking of 400/412 spiders, Testarossa spiders and the 550 Barchetta and 575 SA.
The V8's make the best spiders, 360 & 430 especially. The 348 & 355's are great looking cars and I'd still have a 355 spider, but I feel they look a bit untidy with the hood down as it isn't stored out of the way like on the 360.

Archie
post #3 of 116 Old 10-11-2007, 11:53 PM
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 956
Spider

My car definitely goes faster with the hood down

post #4 of 116 Old 10-12-2007, 12:09 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
It depends on how you intend to use the car. If you are going to track it or use it for long cross continental trips definitely a coupe. For blasts through the countryside, a spider.
post #5 of 116 Old 10-12-2007, 12:34 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
It depends on how you intend to use the car. If you are going to track it or use it for long cross continental trips definitely a coupe. For blasts through the countryside, a spider.
+1.

In addition, it depends on the car itself. If you are less likely to use it as a daily driver, the spider is the favourite option. Therefore, modern V12 Ferrari's don't work so well as a spider. The V8s do. For classic Ferrari's, which you only take out in nice weather anyway, the spiders are awesome! A 330GTS or 275GTS is high on my wishlist.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 116 Old 10-12-2007, 11:35 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 65
Don't want to put a damper on spider enthusiasm here, but from a practical standpoint, I've wondered how F car spiders do when it comes to rollovers. I know.... rolling a Ferrari is frowned upon, and not recommended! But I do wonder if that were to happen, how protected a driver's head would be, especially a tall driver. F50s seem to have integral seat rollbars that would seem to solve the problem.

Rick
post #7 of 116 Old 10-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

We strongly recommend against it. Rolling a Ferrari is very bag for panel alignment.

On the more recent ones (360, 550 Barchetta, 430, and F50), the driver is better protected due to the roll bars. On the early models, learn to duck quickly.
post #8 of 116 Old 10-12-2007, 12:42 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwschumm View Post
Don't want to put a damper on spider enthusiasm here, but from a practical standpoint, I've wondered how F car spiders do when it comes to rollovers. I know.... rolling a Ferrari is frowned upon, and not recommended! But I do wonder if that were to happen, how protected a driver's head would be, especially a tall driver. F50s seem to have integral seat rollbars that would seem to solve the problem.

Rick
I wouldn't know for sure, but I would suspect that cars from the 360 onwards have a similar set up to my Audi (& most other modern convertibles) in the event of a rollover. There is a senser somewhere under the car and if the car tilts beyond say 45 degrees or the point of no return it triggers a switch, which in a split second, fires roll over hoops out from a panel behind the seats.

It makes a mess of the plastic panels behind the seats but at least your head stays attached to the rest of your body.

Archie
post #9 of 116 Old 10-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
I voted coupe for the lack of targa. My reasons are limited to the 348. I frankly don't like the lines of the car as a spider. Berlinetta is far more attractive but I need more exhaust note that the hard top can provide. Also, Targa roof allows more headroom. JMHO

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #10 of 116 Old 10-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Owner

Agree with the targa option, I also think you get less wind swirling around the cabin with a targa. I love my GTS.

Archie
post #11 of 116 Old 10-19-2007, 01:49 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,045
I prefer coupes, don't really know why...I just like the lines better with a true top on my car.
post #12 of 116 Old 10-25-2007, 03:49 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 402
Nothing gets better than the engines sound reverberating behind you without any restriction of a cab compartment. Convertible all way baby...besides that, you don't see any F1's out there with a top, a true sports car is open all the way. It's like riding a race horse, open air.

And oh yeah, only girls and pretty boy wusses complain about the wind blowing their hair all over. The real men love it. Hoorah!!

Chicago_Pete
hey slow driver

Last edited by monza; 10-25-2007 at 03:50 AM. Reason: added comment
post #13 of 116 Old 10-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
What are you talking about??? Real men don't have hair. Last I knew, hair defined you as a girl or pretty boy wuss

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #14 of 116 Old 10-26-2007, 03:34 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Bastage View Post
What are you talking about??? Real men don't have hair. Last I knew, hair defined you as a girl or pretty boy wuss
Real men won't complain about the wind blowing their hair all over. Only pretty boy types and women complain about their hair. More so you won't find the men without hair needing to complain or worry.

Chicago_Pete
hey slow driver
post #15 of 116 Old 10-26-2007, 12:18 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by monza View Post
And oh yeah, only girls and pretty boy wusses complain about the wind blowing their hair all over. The real men love it. Hoorah!!
Absolutely

Archie
post #16 of 116 Old 10-29-2007, 08:04 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
I'm letting my hair grow, any problems with that? If you do, we can take it outside hehehehehehe

anyway, I went for a ride in Boxer's F50 yesterday and it did mass up my hair, but I didn't complain at all: that's the kind of problem I like to have! hehehehehe

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #17 of 116 Old 11-12-2007, 06:44 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
I honestly prefer the look of the spiders, but when it comes to actually driving the car I would much rather have the coupe.
post #18 of 116 Old 11-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monza View Post
Real men won't complain about the wind blowing their hair all over. .
The older you get, the less of a potential issue this becomes.
post #19 of 116 Old 11-13-2007, 03:49 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stile - alpine View Post
I'm letting my hair grow, any problems with that? If you do, we can take it outside hehehehehehe

anyway, I went for a ride in Boxer's F50 yesterday and it did mass up my hair, but I didn't complain at all: that's the kind of problem I like to have! hehehehehe
Hahaha, your right, if I did have some hair I still would not complain due to the fact that I am in a Ferrari

Chicago_Pete
hey slow driver
post #20 of 116 Old 11-13-2007, 04:02 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 271
Coupe just prefer the lines.

My wife has a convertible and though I put the top down I do feel a little daft listening to my prog rock and sporting a sunroof (bald spot)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode