Sqeaky noise...any idea? Experience? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 09-26-2007, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 116
Squeaky noises or low pitch squeal...any ideas? Experience?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay,

I have a few squeaky type noises coming from the engine 512TR. It's not real loud but I noticed a few things. I think it's minor stuff.

1. Does your throw out bearing make noise when you first start up your car and push in the clutch? My makes a creeking noise but not real loud. It does have something to do with the RPMs of the engine. But when it warms up or driven the noise more or less goes away. Clutch is in real good shape still.

2. I am hearing another "small" noise coming from the driver's side front engine. It sounds like an alternator belt squeaking, but it's not coming from the alternator. It almost sounds like a A/C compressor going bad, but it's not the AC compressor. Island boy said he had the belts done recently and I verified it with his mechanic. So assuming he is telling me the truth, do you think it could be a timing tensioner pulley going bad? Again, it's not real loud, but I have an ear for noises coming from the engine that don't sound right. Any ideas experience?

I have decided to pull the engine out this winter to do some cosmetic things and verify all belts, tensioners, seals and so on. I maybe going overboard, but I want to have 1000% sound piece of mind about the condidtion of the car and the only way I am going to get that is if I check it myself.

1992 Black Lamborghini Diablo
1992 Red Ferrari 512TR

Last edited by silvergts1998; 09-26-2007 at 07:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-27-2007, 01:57 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergts1998 View Post
----------------------------------------------I am hearing another "small" noise coming from the driver's side front engine. It sounds like an alternator belt squeaking, but it's not coming from the alternator. It almost sounds like a A/C compressor going bad, but it's not the AC compressor. Island boy said he had the belts done recently and I verified it with his mechanic. So assuming he is telling me the truth, do you think it could be a timing tensioner pulley going bad? Again, it's not real loud, but I have an ear for noises coming from the engine that don't sound right. Any ideas experience?
I had a similar experience with a 365 BB several years ago. It turned out that it was the A/C compressor going bad. The compressor ended up freezing up, snapping the belt, and creating a nice goooy melted belt mess to clean up on the front of the engine.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-27-2007, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
I had a similar experience with a 365 BB several years ago. It turned out that it was the A/C compressor going bad. The compressor ended up freezing up, snapping the belt, and creating a nice goooy melted belt mess to clean up on the front of the engine.
I guess I could take off the ac belt and see if the noise goes away. If not then the alternator belt then. If that's not it, then it has to do with the timing system like a tensioner.

1992 Red Ferrari 512TR

post #4 of 14 Old 09-27-2007, 12:06 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 65
Sorry to chime in without having owned one, but wouldn't standard protocol be to change timing belts AND tensioner bearings while you're in there? Not sure what manual recommendations are. Hope you can track it down!

Rick
post #5 of 14 Old 09-27-2007, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I would think so, but it doesn't mean that the new one could also go bad on it.

1992 Red Ferrari 512TR
post #6 of 14 Old 09-27-2007, 12:29 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 65
Right, it is always possible, unfortunately..
Rick
post #7 of 14 Old 09-29-2007, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Another board said it might be the air pump. Does the 512 TR have an air pump on it?

1992 Red Ferrari 512TR
post #8 of 14 Old 09-29-2007, 09:03 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 402
it can't be the belt tensioner. you would hear a constant humming and very distinct at higher revolutions. at least you can rule that one out.

Chicago_Pete
hey slow driver
post #9 of 14 Old 09-29-2007, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I think it might be the air pump. I just got to verify that the 92 512 TR has it.

1992 Red Ferrari 512TR
post #10 of 14 Old 09-30-2007, 02:52 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
I would send a private message to carguy:

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/member.php?u=854

He'll tell you how to dismantle the car in your sleep.
post #11 of 14 Old 09-30-2007, 02:55 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
I believe it does and the part number for the belt, which could be the source is:

Air Pump Belt: #fr125772

And the full service kit:
http://www.ricambiamerica.com/produc...products_id=60
post #12 of 14 Old 01-07-2008, 06:31 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
I just bought a 1984 308QV, so I'm new to Ferrari's but I thought someone might be able to help with retensioning the valve timing belts. I'm doing the 30,000 mile service and I'm changing the tensioning pulleys. How much tension should be on the belts (engine cold). My left pulley turns using finger rotation force. My right pulley is tight and does not rotate.

Sorry for my novice question.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-08-2008, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Owner

tony does your car have preloaded tensioners? (Spring loaded?). Got a pic of what you ae asking about?

1992 Red Ferrari 512TR
post #14 of 14 Old 01-10-2008, 04:02 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
Just stumbled across this thread. Well, as we all know "Silvergts1998" has definately solved his noise problem. What a terrific thread he created about his engine out service on his 512TR. But in response to some of his clutch noise observiations mentioned at the beginning of this thread....yes many TRs will make a noise upon release of the clutch, kinda of a whine-groan sound. It only lasts a second, and it seems to be dependant on how quickly the clutch is released, and at what engine rpms. If the clutch is grabbing good then I probably wouldn't worry about it. However...if the effort to depress the clutch pedal increases as things get warmed up, it's probably time for a slave cylinder rebuild or replacement.

To TONY308QV: It is not wise to "retension" timing belts, and I strongly advise against it. It's better to replace the belts (they don't cost much) and tensioner bearings once you have access to them, and set everything to specs. If one tensioner is tight, and one is loose, rotate the engine maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of a revolution and see if the situation is the same - it will probably change. The belt tension is linked to the position of the cam lobes/valve springs and their timing events. The tension does not stay absolutely constant, but varies up and down as cam lobes open and close valves. To try rotating the engine a bit and see if the tension changes. Let us know what you find out. If things still don't seem right, start a new thread about it and we will try and help out.

Oh...and Andrew....Thanks for the compliment. But I must say something about this website: It's a bit off topic though. The Ferrari Life on-line (Adobe pdf) editions are just....well....INCREDIBLE!!!!! The photography is awesome, and they are so well written. I just can't say enough good about them! Far and away the best Ferrari publication I've ever read! Once I start reading I just can't stop. I'm on bended knee with deep respect and admiration, they are just wonderful. I just wanted to say that.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode