5 Ugliest Ferraris ? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 150 Old 09-11-2007, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
5 Ugliest Ferraris ?

As the Time Magazine's including the Mondial 8 in the List of 50 Worst Cars seemed to generate quite a bit of excitement, what really are the 5 ugliest Ferraris? (my apologies to the owners of any of the below, this is nothing more than my uneducated opinion)

My candidates and acidic comments:

1. 330 GT 2+2 Series I - who thought putting 4 headlights on the front was a good idea ?????

2. 400A - way to bland, could be a Buick from 100 yards

3. 612 Scaglietti - awkward from every angle. The proportions just don't work. Yuk. No make that double yuk.

4. 512M - Sometimes continued design development is bad. The TR works in an outragious 80''s sort of way. Sticking a version of the F355 front grill, 550 type headlights, and round taillights make it look like a Fiat part bin special.

5. 250 PF Coupe - late 50's, early 60's version of the 400. Every other body that they dropped onto the 250 series is wonderful. This one just looks like the designers got lazy.

Comments ?????????????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 150 Old 09-12-2007, 01:09 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Very difficult question. I disagree with your #4, I think that was the best TR.

I agree on #1 strongly. It looks like something you would see in Gotham city. I might add the 360 to my list.
post #3 of 150 Old 09-12-2007, 02:27 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
Formulating my list...but this is likely to be in the top slot...

A Ferrari version of the AMC Pacer.
Attached Images

post #4 of 150 Old 09-12-2007, 03:00 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I might add the 360 to my list.
This thread is going to be controversial
I would have agreed with you on the 360 a couple of years ago. When it was launched, I was horrified, how could they replace the 355, which I still think is the best looking Ferrari. I didn't think the curves of the 360 looked right, and to make matters worse, Hyundai launched the S Coupe (did you get that in the USA?) which looked similar to the 360. So for years I kept comparing the 360 to a Hyundai, not a good comparison.
However, in the last couple of years I've attended lots of Ferrari events and have seen hundreds of 360's, and I really like them now, the original lines of the Dino can still be seen in it's modern style, and I have to say that I would consider buying one over a 355 now.
Strangely enough I saw a yellow 360 on my way in to work this morning, of course I gave it a second and a third look and thought to myself, hmmmm, maybe?
Colour is important, and for me rosso is the wrong colour, black looks good, but the best colour I've seen is the blue on Boxer's 360.

Archie
post #5 of 150 Old 09-12-2007, 03:49 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
I agree with the 400A, I don't like any of the 400s

the 330 GT 2+2 Series I also looks different, or just ugly hehehehe

but I like the 512M, I think it has a bad boy look, but I agree with you it is a strange blend of TR with F355 and 550 Maranello hehehehe

I saw the 612 for the first time yesterday, and I didn't think it was ugly (but I did when I first saw it in pictures, I guess I'm getting used to it)

can't wait to see the 599 on the metal to see if it looks good

and the 360 wasn't as pretty as the 355, but with time its design grew on everybody, I guess
post #6 of 150 Old 09-12-2007, 03:56 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 271
Could not name one let alone five
post #7 of 150 Old 09-12-2007, 04:44 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcqv View Post
Could not name one let alone five
I pretty much agree with Malc. Sure there are some designs that I prefer more than others, and I've never been keen on any of the 400's, the 612 and the ...mmmmmm, cant think of any others, not sure I'd call any of them downright ugly though, or at least not in a AMC Pacer kind of way and dare I say it in a Lambo Countach way - I still hate that car, it looks like a lowered Hummer crossed with an armadillo.

Oh yeah, the 250 GTO, F40, F355, 250 TR and 365/512 BB

Archie
post #8 of 150 Old 09-12-2007, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
I pretty much agree with Malc. Sure there are some designs that I prefer more than others, and I've never been keen on any of the 400's, the 612 and the ...mmmmmm, cant think of any others, not sure I'd call any of them downright ugly though, or at least not in a AMC Pacer kind of way and dare I say it in a Lambo Countach way - I still hate that car, it looks like a lowered Hummer crossed with an armadillo.

Oh yeah, the 250 GTO, F40, F355, 250 TR and 365/512 BB
Way too much Prancing Horse love going on here.

Lets get back to the discussion on the misguided and just plain ugly.

A couple I left off my list which normally are quite controversial:

365 GTC/4 - actually very attractive from all angles but the front due to the strange black wrap around bumper. If you paint the front bumper the same color as the body, it looks quite good.

308 GT4 - aging well, looks good especially in the darker colors

Mondial 8 - already taken enough abuse
post #9 of 150 Old 09-12-2007, 05:41 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Way too much Prancing Horse love going on here.

Lets get back to the discussion on the misguided and just plain ugly.

A couple I left off my list which normally are quite controversial:

365 GTC/4 - actually very attractive from all angles but the front due to the strange black wrap around bumper. If you paint the front bumper the same color as the body, it looks quite good.

308 GT4 - aging well, looks good especially in the darker colors

Mondial 8 - already taken enough abuse
I quite like the 365 GTC/4, I don't think it is any uglier than the Daytona or 550, they all look very similar. I don't know enough about the early V12 models to know what I don't like, although I did recently see a 330 2+2, not sure of the letters, but it wasn't that nice.

Being really controversial, my least favorite V8's are the Mondial (all models) and the 348, I really don't like the rear lights and the TR style slats up the side, whereas the 355 allbeit a very similar shape is a beauty.
Attached Images

Archie
post #10 of 150 Old 09-12-2007, 06:50 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 53
I think there are no entirely ugly Ferrari (I mean, nothing as ugly as a Fiat Multipla).

I'd agree with the 512 TR M on the list, however, I really like the 612 Scagiletti, the design is much better than the 456. I recently saw a neglectant 612 in the Meilenwerk in Berlin covered by dirt...what a shame.

My girlfriend doesn't like the F40, I love it.

In my opinion, each car has its own unique character, even a Lada. You have to accept it for what it is and see it in a context. Some cars are ugly, but that's their character. Without ugly cars, it would be much harder to appreciate the beautiful ones.

Generally, the "I hate this and that" threads are not really useful, as they are always biased and only produce bad emotions.

We are car lovers, not car haters, aren't we?

Always my best,

John
post #11 of 150 Old 09-12-2007, 07:09 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRAV View Post

My girlfriend doesn't like the F40, I love it.
Neither does my wife, she doesn't like my 328 or any other Ferrari for that matter, she thinks they are all big red penis' on wheels. If she had her way, we'd all be driving Beetles and Smartcars

Archie
post #12 of 150 Old 09-12-2007, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
If she had her way, we'd all be driving Beetles and Smartcars
My definition of the 9th level, 3rd zone, of hell
post #13 of 150 Old 09-12-2007, 07:34 AM
Owner

Quote:
My definition of the 9th level, 3rd zone, of hell
LOL, is the next level for electric vehicles

Archie
post #14 of 150 Old 09-12-2007, 07:45 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
Quote:
Neither does my wife, she doesn't like my 328 or any other Ferrari for that matter, she thinks they are all big red penis' on wheels. If she had her way, we'd all be driving Beetles and Smartcars
my girlfriend doesn't like Ferraris either, specially the F40 (that I love so much hehehehehe)

she doesn't like cars with air intakes on the doors, and that pretty much eliminates all the Ferraris hehehehehe
post #15 of 150 Old 09-12-2007, 07:58 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
I can’t really say ugly Ferrari, because we have to be in that segment of “time” when they came out and what else was available as far a models and lines that we offered on other cars back when they came out. Like the 330, I think it’s a cool looking car for the time it came out, kind of something from a James Bond movie…

As far as not liking a model, I think it’s because it either doesn’t stand out or something does too much and looks awkward. Like the 330 GT model that had 4 headlights…it just looks funny, but to someone else it could be WOW…4 headlights…lol.

The 512M, the front and rear lights look like a bad kit car, does it make the car ugly? To me, not really but it looks out of place. I can’t say any Ferrari is truly ugly…

~

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari
post #16 of 150 Old 09-12-2007, 08:08 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 53
Quote:
Well, Anna loved my BMW 528ia, loves my BMW 750i and adores the Jaguar XKR Convertible.

We drove one in May, and I almost bought it, however, it turned out that it had an (of course minor) accident. The last car I bought with only a "minor" parking accident on it turned out to have the complete front replaced. Furthermore, the painting was in a bad shape and the dealer refused to repaint it. When I buy a €40k car, I expect it to be in good condition.

Since then, we did not find any other suitable 2003 or 2004 convertible XKR on the market (one with the 395bhp engine, walnut trim and the R-Performance package in either silver, black or blue), that's why I started to look for alternatives and ended up here

Fortunately, she also kind of likes the Modena, although she'd rather have some polished walnut panels on the dashboard.

Oh, speaking of Smart cars: the Roadster is a lot of fun, I only whish it had a proper engine. You can't believe how peoples face look like when you pass them with 200 km/h on the left lane

Always my best,

John
post #17 of 150 Old 09-12-2007, 08:31 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1fosI View Post
Formulating my list...but this is likely to be in the top slot...

A Ferrari version of the AMC Pacer.
WOW, I would like to say that there is no such thing as an ugly ferrari, but seeing this pic has changed my mind.

Thats one ugly MF ferrari

Chicago_Pete
hey slow driver
post #18 of 150 Old 09-12-2007, 08:59 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 490
Sorry guys, you're all wrong (& the Daytona estate is simply lovely )

This one has to be the most terrible abberation ever fitted to a Ferrari chassis........................................... .............

212sn 0165. Body by Abbott's of Farnham, UK.(who also did the beautiful Bristol 405 DHC - showing they could put the effort in!)

You will be relieved to know it has been rebodied as a Touring Barchetta.
post #19 of 150 Old 09-12-2007, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stile - alpine View Post
my girlfriend doesn't like Ferraris either, specially the F40 (that I love so much hehehehehe)

she doesn't like cars with air intakes on the doors, and that pretty much eliminates all the Ferraris hehehehehe
Well then, I guess she is not going to get offered a ride.
post #20 of 150 Old 09-12-2007, 10:07 AM
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 131
Quote:
As the Time Magazine's including the Mondial 8 in the List of 50 Worst Cars seemed to generate quite a bit of excitement, what really are the 5 ugliest Ferraris? (my apologies to the owners of any of the below, this is nothing more than my uneducated opinion)

My candidates and acidic comments:

1. 330 GT 2+2 Series I - who thought putting 4 headlights on the front was a good idea ?????

2. 400A - way to bland, could be a Buick from 100 yards

3. 612 Scaglietti - awkward from every angle. The proportions just don't work. Yuk. No make that double yuk.

4. 512M - Sometimes continued design development is bad. The TR works in an outragious 80''s sort of way. Sticking a version of the F355 front grill, 550 type headlights, and round taillights make it look like a Fiat part bin special.

5. 250 PF Coupe - late 50's, early 60's version of the 400. Every other body that they dropped onto the 250 series is wonderful. This one just looks like the designers got lazy.

Comments ?????????????????

Ok, I have no choice but to chime in here....

1. 330 GT: yeah, I can kinda see this one.... the four headlights aren't that pretty, but it may leave pretty cool older Ferrari's within the reach of young and not weathy enough fans ( like myself ) someday.

2. 400: A Ferrari family car? The deludes the pure racing gene pool a bit, doesnt it?! A four door Ferrari?? It might as well be a Mondial 8. I throw up a little in my mouth every time I see one of those.

3. 612: Ok, you're totally insane if you think this is an ugly car. This is one of the most elegant and classy shapes that has come from Ferrari. I would say it DOES NOT photograph well at well, though. In person, what a beautiful car! I want one, badly.

4. 512 : Pretty much 90% of the flat 12 Ferrari's were a disaster as far as looks. This one stands out in the ugly crowd. This is an embarrassing time for Ferrari in my opinion, but Im right.

5. 250PF: This one doesnt exactly ring my souls' bell, either. It would be better than driving a Pontiac Aztec, however.

The Mondial 8 was overlooked on this list as a crime perpetrated by humanity onto itself, much like the H2 or the Sebring.

I hereby nominate the 612 be removed from the above list and replaced by the Helldial.... er, Mondial 8

2002 BMW R1150GS
2006 Triumph Speed Triple
2004 KTM 525 Sled
1975 Honda CB400F
1963 Ferrari 250 SWB - Not quite yet....

“We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring, will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.”

T.S. Eliot

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode