Just joined - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 08-26-2007, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Just joined

Hello,
I am looking at a few cars to buy (will buy only 1) 1977, 79, 80, and 83 308 GTS. I am a novice when it comes to Ferraris. Any one who has "intimate" knowledge of any of these cars, please let me know your opinions!! All the cars I am looking at have fairly low mileage and seem to be in good condition. Your opinions are really appreciated. thanks.
Jeffrey
Bloomington, IN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Jeffrey,

Welcome to the site. I would start with the 308 Buyer's guide on this site. The '77 will be a carb engine which I like because the sound and tuning factor. If my memory is correct an '80 would be between the car version and the QV so I would avoid this as it was the least powered 308.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-26-2007, 02:02 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 132
I know that most everyone says to avoid the '80-82 injection cars, but I personally searched out mine, because to me, they are easier to live with as a driver. No, they are not as powerful, but they are certainly easy to tune, or should I say, they stay in tune. I had the 246GT which I loved, but the carbs took a lot of time, tuning regulary, even twice the same day! This injected car has had NO adjustments all year, and starts with a touch of the key in neutral, without me even in the car! I just lean in, pull the parking brake, make sure it's in neutral, then touch the key and it fires up, revs high until operating temps are right, then I know it's reaedy for a drive, and drive it I do, and love it!! Of course, the QV is better, so is the 328, even better, the 355, but it's all about what YOU really want, and want to spend! Carb cars are truely great and more vintage, but I love getting in and driving! Even with the low powered '82, I can easily get arrested!! I really don't know why everyone's so down on the '80-82 cars! Just my rant, I love 'em all!! Ciao.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-28-2007, 07:47 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 52
Welcome to the site

I just got my 1987 Mondial three months ago. So, I too, am a novice. But, the more I drive it, the more I love it. The engine sound alone makes heads turn.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-28-2007, 10:04 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
1st you really need to decide if you prefer a carb or an injected car. Of the 4 listed, the 83 should have fewer rust issues. Between the 77 and 79 carb 308, buy the one in the better condition.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode