enclosed trailer - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-03-2007, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
enclosed trailer

Guys
I'm looking for ways to enjoy other Ferrari's while allowing others to enjoy mine. I'm not quite sure how to do that....For Example...

I'd love to attend the FCA international meet in Watkins Glen NY this year. The problem is the ride to get there. Its about a 500 mile journey. I bought my car to drive it but I don't want useless mile depreciation for no good reason. I expect to put 1 - 2 thousand on it per year. a 1000 mile round trip will sure cuts in to my allocation. How can I get to the Glen without running up the miles...Trailer the car.
Open trailers are simply not going to get it done. I'm afraid of stone chips, hail damage, and the post trip cleaning. Enclosed trailers run about 5000 for a stripped model...I'm not spending that for the twice a year use. Used trailers are proving very difficult to find and aren't much cheaper than new. I guess I'm talking myself into renting one when I need it, finding a real beat up one, or finding someway to share costs for a decent one (multi-ownership).
All these difficulties are probably going to keep me from attending...That Sucks. IF I take the Audi, I'll enjoy the Ferrari's but get stuck paying for a hotel room and other's won't see my sweetie.

Any thoughts?

If I find a way...anyone in NE want to come along?

Lane

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-03-2007, 08:26 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Here's my thoughts and experiences:

I have a tandem axle open trailer that I bought to tow my Jeep around to off-road events in. It is perfect for the Jeep. I don't even have to pull the ramps out, the Jeep's tires are big enough that I can just put it in 4-low and climb up on the trailer. Pulling behind my 3/4 ton Dodge you don't even know it is there. But I remember when I was looking at trailers I looked at used ones and they were all junk and needed work and everyone was all asking top dollar for them. So I ended up buying a new one for like $2,500. That was like 6 years ago.

So when I bought my Ferrari down in Pennsylvania it was a 10 hour drive each way and I'd need 2 drivers and I really didn't want to drive a car I'd never driven before that kind of distance. So my buddy Rick and I went down with my truck and trailer, sharing the driving. After the car was found to be in order and exactly as described, we loaded it up. First problem, the car's spoiler is too low to clear the ramps. So the dealer comes up with some long planks to lower the angle and we get the car up on the trailer. Second problem, the car sits so low you can't open the door more than a few inches because it will hit the trailer's wheel arch. So out the window I go. Third problem, the window is down and I'm outside of the car and can't open the door more than a few inches. I can reach in and turn the key and put the window up but then I can't reach the key to turn it off. So I ended up driving it home with the window halfway down. Best I could do. Just glad it didn't rain.

Now Steve (enjoythemusic), when he was racing his 308 he had a slick aluminum trailer that had long enough ramps that the car's front end would clear. He had a little electric winch on the front of the trailer so he would just pull the car up to the trailer, close the windows, shut the car off, get out and then just winch the car up onto the trailer and strap her down. Pretty slick. If you decide that you might consider an open trailer I know he wanted to sell it. I don't know if he has still got it or not but he's just up in New Hampshire. You could PM him.

So there is my Ferrari trailer experience and I hope that there is a some info in there for you to consider when you look at trailers. Even with an enclosed trailer you might want to consider a little winch in the front, more control loading the car and you will not be stuck inside it.

Of your options you mentioned, consider all the above when renting one. If you can share ownership that would be great because you can get the trailer you want and need, but then you have scheduling issues, storage issues (Where is it going to live), maintanence issues (who pays for what), registration and liability issues (what if his truck is involved in an accident while towing "your" trailer and the woman who slammed into the back of "your" trailer got hurt.) As for the real beat up trailer, you are worried about stone chips and post trip cleaning but you are willing to load it into a trailer that you don't know if the wheel bearings are going to overheat and fail or pieces of the interior will fall on your car going down the road? No my friend, you want your car safe and sound. And you really don't want to drive to all these nice meets with an awesome car and show up pulling a beat up old trailer do you?

But here is the kicker, I saved the best for last. You bought a beautiful Ferrari, you don't want anything to happen to it. You want to protect it and the value of it to remain high. You are going to do this by maintaining the car to the highest standards and keeping the miles under 2k per year right? But you want to take the car all around the Northeast USA to attend Ferrari events and show off your sweetie and meet people and have a good time, a couple times a year. But then you don't want to spend $5k for a nice enclosed car trailer because you are only going to use it twice a year. Well you said Watkins Glen is 500 miles. Well if you do this kind of trip twice a year you are planning on putting more miles on the trailer than you are on the Ferrari. You can justify a new one. And you've seen what used trailers go for, the depreciation on the trailer will be less than that of the Ferrari. Plus, you'd be suprised the number of uses you can find for it. A storage shed (just where in the winter do you put all that junk that's laying around the yard in the summer), a trip to the lumberyard, a buddy that needs help moving, etc. You pay $5k for it now, keep it 8 years and then sell it for $3k. Did you really lose any money? Did you get $2k worth of use out of it?

There I've rambled on enough, I'm going to go back to the driver's lounge and post some more inane nonsense.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."

Last edited by Pete04222; 08-03-2007 at 08:43 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-03-2007, 10:17 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,045
Cap'n, you are wise beyond your years....well my years.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 64
Do yourself a favor and buy a trailer. You'll end up using it and loaning it more than you could imagine, just like Pete said. You'll wonder why you havn't bought one already.

If you think 5k is spendy, I paid over 13k for my sled trailer, and it is so purpose built that its hard to even use it for anything else other than snowmobiles. I can't even fit my Rhino in it.

I don't have a car trailer yet, as I don't have anywhere to haul my car. I don't plan on showing my car or going to Ferrari gatherings, that kind of thing is not really my cup of tea, but I do understand not wanting to put highway miles on your beloved car.

I told myself when I got my car that I wasn't going to be some poser executive type and that I would drive my car anywhere, anytime. Well, I have changed my tune a little bit. It's sort of funny what a Ferrari does to you. I became very attached to my 512TR almost overnight, and in turn became a little insecure about the longevity and future of my car. I want it to last forever in the condition it is now, and I know that even if I never drive it, that is not possible. I'm like you, I be will limiting my time in the car, not with mileage so much, but more of when and where kind of way. I know that may seem stupid to some, myself included, but I don't always need to cruise around in it, showing off and looking for ladies or what not, because that is stupid too.

I'll save the Ferrari for the Sunday scream up the volcano (I live 5 mile from Mt. St. Helens) and stick to racing those import punks in my CTS-V the rest of the week.

Last edited by Firebanshee; 08-05-2007 at 12:05 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-05-2007, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
I blew my wad on the car. I've got a $6-10k belt job due this winter. Another $5k Trailer will cause me to sleep on the Futon for far longer than my old ass can take it. I want the trailer to be enclosed so I can use it as a sleeper at distant meets. Save a couple more coins I'm also not sure I'm totally in to this "meet" stuff. I'm gonna have to go for a rental or find another Northeast Connaisseur with some extra space. Ohh Crap, now I'm back in the hotel. It sure sucks being a cheap bastard.

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #6 of 6 Old 08-05-2007, 06:42 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Yeah, you'll have to attend at least one meet and decide if this is something you'd like to continue doing. And don't worry about being a cheap bastard. I'm one to so when I buy something it is because I had a genuine need for it and I researched it and decided on a particular tool/unit/appliance/etc.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode