Potentially contraversial question - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 Old 08-03-2007, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 439
Potentially contraversial question

At the risk of being contraversial, does anyone think that the 612 may be the new 400?

I think this may be the case in that the styling is not to everyone's taste and accordingly that the depreciation will reflect this.

Sorry to offend any 612 owners / lovers.

Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 08-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Personally I'm not a huge fan of the styling of the 612 or 599, neither have the instant wow factor or appeal of the historic flagship V12 Ferrari's.
As a younger person the Boxers and TR's were my dream machines, I can't imagine any young kid today dreaming of owning a 599 or 612, a 430 yes, definitely, they still have that something special that you fall in love with the first time you see it.
The 2+2 cars always depreciate far more than the 2 seaters, even the 456 which is a beautiful car, but that's not a bad thing if you're in the market to buy one.
I don't know the reason why, but all I can say is if you want a 612 give it a couple of years and it will be going for about 40% of the new price, but be careful because it will still keep dropping.

Archie
post #3 of 55 Old 08-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
I competely agree w/ you both. You can already tell by the price action. The 612's saving grace is that it a had a limited production run.

post #4 of 55 Old 08-07-2007, 09:49 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 453
I have to agree as well. As nice as they are still, i doubt the styling of the 599/612 (which are variations of the same design in my view), will endure and catch the attention of the masses of people too young currently to buy them but are budding Ferrari fans. All of the hysteria and outrageous markups will be long gone and perhaps seen as silly in hindsight.

In ten to twenty years when they are eyed by people now in the 6th grade, I think the 360s and 430s will be much more popular, with the 599/612 cars being sort of ignored somewhat as their styling cues may appeal to only a narrow audience.

Ferrari seems to have heavily borrowed from Nissan/Infiniti on the front end styling, but made it more on the weird end. Were i to pick the better design, it would be the 599. Both are an acquired taste, perhaps. But lovely cars.

This will be a plus, however, for those of us presently unable to afford these cars. Just wait about a decade and things will be very different.
post #5 of 55 Old 08-07-2007, 12:44 PM
Owner

If I had to choose one, I'd take the 599 over the Scag, but would rather spend the same money buying a 550 and a 456, 2 for the price of 1 and twice the fun

Archie
post #6 of 55 Old 08-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 132
I have to say though that I LOVE the look of the 599, that rear/side roof treatment is stunning, and of course, it is a 2 seater, certainly out of my price range, as is the 550 that I can at least dream of owning! For an old guy like me, the 308 is STILL a fantastic car, and I agree that the younger crowd will eventually be buying up old 360s and 430s even IF the 612s are less expensive!! Just my ramblings, Ciao! Dennis
post #7 of 55 Old 08-07-2007, 08:16 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 64
I like the 612 better than the 599, that's for sure. The 612 is more traditional in its styling. The 599 hood and front facia are a little too busy for my tastes. I still think both are attractive GT cars.

As far as resale value, I think these cars are more reliable and require less maintenance than the cars they replace, which will keep their resale value up. Not to mention the luxary and performance segment these cars represent.

I like this one. 575-GTZ
Attached Images

post #8 of 55 Old 08-07-2007, 11:58 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher View Post
At the risk of being contraversial, does anyone think that the 612 may be the new 400?

I think this may be the case in that the styling is not to everyone's taste and accordingly that the depreciation will reflect this.

Sorry to offend any 612 owners / lovers.

Regards
Yes, absolutely, completely agree. Values on the 612 will drop like a rock and my guess is the depreciation freefall will not abate until it reaches a 80% decline. I have seen quite a few 612's in different color combinations and it just is not a design that either instantly grabs or grows on you. Under the hood it does not contain anything particularly special (the 599 has an Enzo based engine and the new electro magnetic suspension system). In 25 years the 456M GT will be worth more than the 612.
post #9 of 55 Old 08-08-2007, 12:02 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebanshee View Post
I like this one. 575-GTZ

is that a real car? or a concept? that's gorgeous.
post #10 of 55 Old 08-08-2007, 12:09 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Yes, absolutely, completely agree. Values on the 612 will drop like a rock and my guess is the depreciation freefall will not abate until it reaches a 80% decline. I have seen quite a few 612's in different color combinations and it just is not a design that either instantly grabs or grows on you. Under the hood it does not contain anything particularly special (the 599 has an Enzo based engine and the new electro magnetic suspension system). In 25 years the 456M GT will be worth more than the 612.
Good observations. I think the Enzo based engine of the 599 may somewhat offset it's styling cues that may over time not appeal to a broader/future fan base. I think the 599 is a sweet car than may have a devout cult following in years' time. I like it. But i can see how others may not. And how it's styling, with the 612 beside it, may not necessarily be forever appealing.

Ferraris, though, tend to go through cycles of en vogue. Take the "lowly" 308 GT4. For years that car was highly ignored. Today it is coming into it's own and being rediscovered and gaining momentum in popularity among a devout, if not small, fan base. It has become "cool." But it took about 30 years.

Sometimes a given style wanes after a brief popularity, dies, sinks, then begins to re-emerge and people suddenly "love it."
post #11 of 55 Old 08-08-2007, 12:28 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscount aero View Post
is that a real car? or a concept? that's gorgeous.
Yes, it is a very real car. It is a highly modified 575M, commisioned by a wealthy Japanese car collector and executed by the Zagato design firm of Milan. It is the one and only in existance.

I like it because I think the styling is very Ferrari. Zagato didn't try to make it something else, but instead played off of Ferrari's proven designs.
post #12 of 55 Old 08-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Owner

yes, indeed. Ferrari ought to get a clue and make one for production. that is simply stunning elegant and directly takes you back to the days of the Mille Miglia and such. but is modern and updated with the Ferrari ID intact. bravo.
post #13 of 55 Old 08-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Owner

I've had another look at the 612 on the web today. I still haven't changed my mind, it's too big and ugly, probably as ugly as a Bentley Continental.

That's a real shame because I'm sure it is a great drivers car full of technology, very comfortable and luxurious, but if I was going to pay that much money (160K GBP) for a new car I would have to like the look of it too. TBH, if I had to have a 4 seater, I'd buy a Maserati QP and save 80K, which could be used to buy a 456 and 550.

I believe Boxer was right when he said a 456M GT will be worth more in 25 yrs time.

I don't think the prices will be that far apart in 10 yrs time either, and from a pure looks point of view the 456 will always be more in demand.

Archie
post #14 of 55 Old 08-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 167
both the 599 and 612 I find to be VERY unattractive vehicles I would definately go for either a 456 or a 550/575 over either one
post #15 of 55 Old 08-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 15
the japanese guy had two of them made

the japanese guy loved the car so much he had two made for himself

Quote:
Yes, it is a very real car. It is a highly modified 575M, commisioned by a wealthy Japanese car collector and executed by the Zagato design firm of Milan. It is the one and only in existance.

I like it because I think the styling is very Ferrari. Zagato didn't try to make it something else, but instead played off of Ferrari's proven designs.
post #16 of 55 Old 08-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by the head View Post
both the 599 and 612 I find to be VERY unattractive vehicles I would definately go for either a 456 or a 550/575 over either one
I think for this reason, the opinion held probably by more F-car fans than maybe come forth outright, the 599/612 will sink like a rock in value after the waiting list hysteria and eventually will bottom out in the manner of the 308 GT4. give it time.

I do feel that the 599 may remain stronger for longer and may perhaps not see the bottom as soon or as far as the 612. it's a great GT car and very elegant. But perhaps appealing to a very small audience in time. Like a cult.
post #17 of 55 Old 08-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Owner

After reading all these posts, I've came to a conclusion. Though maybe not the most elegant statement, here it goes.

WHO REALLY CARES?!!!!! The whole world is going to hell in a corporate hand basket anyways and we all know the best Ferraris have already come and gone so to speak. It's like rock'n'roll. As a Pink Floyd fan, I know David Gilmour's new album sucks, but I don't care, why?, because I still have copies of Animals, and The Dark Side of The Moon. Sure, the newer Ferraris are more advanced, built on higher degree of refinement, and exploit the newest innovations, but there all missing that one thing- Enzo magic!

For me, it's not a coincident that I really only like the Ferraris that were imagined or built before 1988. The F40 was the pinnacle of sports car design and execution, and I am perfectly ok with that. I'm a Ferrari fan for what they have done, not what they are doing. The best things in life rarely last forever.
post #18 of 55 Old 08-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Owner

^^^hahahah i laughed out loud when i read that.

ahaha

I see your point.

The last hurrah was already a train we all missed years ago
post #19 of 55 Old 08-09-2007, 12:17 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
. As a Pink Floyd fan, I know David Gilmour's new album sucks, but I don't care, why?, because I still have copies of Animals, and The Dark Side of The Moon. Sure, the newer Ferraris are more advanced, built on higher degree of refinement, and exploit the newest innovations, but there all missing that one thing- Enzo magic!

For me, it's not a coincident that I really only like the Ferraris that were imagined or built before 1988. The F40 was the pinnacle of sports car design and execution, and I am perfectly ok with that.
Agree, and yes, as a Pink Floyd fan Gilmour's new album does really suck.
post #20 of 55 Old 08-09-2007, 01:09 AM
Owner

I agree too, and I've never liked Pink Floyd or any other prog rock music.
(except maybe 'dark side of the moon' and some Led Zep IV when I'm in a coffeeshop in Amsterdam )
I was a punk rocker and am still a punk rocker at heart (even if I sold out made some money and drive a Ferrari )

Archie

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode