trying to buy first ferrari!! - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-11-2003, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 132
trying to buy first ferrari!!

a local dealer has a very nice 79' 308. the body has a few flaws but those are easily fixed. as is the few interior flaws. the BIG question i have is this. the air pump was removed by the previous owner. i know that a early 80's gm piece will woek but i want to know if this car can pass emissions without a airpump? has stock exhaust, and a stock motor with 60k+ the odometer. btw thanks for any help given.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-11-2003, 10:37 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 457
The '79 is not old enough to be exempt from emissions. The dealer should install an air pump to legally sell the car which should be in compliance with both safety and emissions standards.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-11-2003, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

it's not a ferrari dealer. i should have said that it was not. they said it passed its last test 2 years ago but as far as i am concerned they are full of it. here in washington you dont do a under hood inspection just a sniffer test. and the registration was up 6 months ago. should the dealer selling the car have to be responceable for making the car pass?

post #4 of 9 Old 01-11-2003, 11:22 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 457
I purchased my 308 GTB from an independent dealership in NY. The car had to pass inspection in order to be sold by the dealer. As mine is a 1976 (> 25 years old), it was exempt from emissions testing. It did have to pass safety standards and have an inspection sticker affixed prior to sale.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-11-2003, 02:21 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
For older cars the emissions standards are not as stringent. If the car is well-tuned and not burning oil I would think it should pass.
However, the dealer shouldn't sell you the car unless it has already passed whatever State mandated inspections that apply.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #6 of 9 Old 01-11-2003, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

well went to the dealer today and look the cars over again and drove it for a half hour or so. and decided to buy as long as the dealer was able to register the car for me. so now they are respencable for it passing. and i got that written on the bill of sale. that and the new brake and turn signal lenses they owe me for breaking them while moving a desk.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-11-2003, 09:32 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 575
J. Brosseau, I live not too far from you and I'm pretty active with the Ferrari scene down in Seattle. A friend of mine down there had a '79 GTS and got it to pass emissions without the air-pump (but had the cats on the exhaust).

What is the serial number of your car? I wonder if its the one my friend had...
post #8 of 9 Old 01-11-2003, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

it still has the factory exhaust on it. from what i gather the guy gave the car to his russian wife and they divorced. so the car has been on consignment for awhile now. other than that i dont know. it has been pretty well maintained and all services up to this point are taken care of. i will get the chassis number tomarrow. i had it written down but i washed my jeans today and all my info i had noted was in them.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-12-2003, 11:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 575
From your description Joe (belonging to a Russian wife), its not the same car...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode