348 Leak - What is this part & how to fix ? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 09-13-2016, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 19
348 Leak - What is this part & how to fix ?

Hi,

I bought my 348 TS (1993) a couple of months ago but its developed a leak already. Not a major one its only a small amount but not being an engineer or having a lift it took a few weeks to get underneath and see where its coming from (photo attached). It seems to be from a hose that connects via a bolt into the bottom of the Fan encolsure (photo looking from back of the car on the RHS of a LHD model).

The bolt is tight so the leak must be coming down the hose somehow. Question is what does this hose do and is it a big deal to fix. Would it just need the whole hose/bolt replacement or am I looking at my first big bill coming my way !. I guess second question is if the hose fixing does need replacement how easy is it to find the part for it (EU).

TIA
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-15-2016, 05:11 AM
Sponsor
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedizippy View Post
Hi,

I bought my 348 TS (1993) a couple of months ago but its developed a leak already. Not a major one its only a small amount but not being an engineer or having a lift it took a few weeks to get underneath and see where its coming from (photo attached). It seems to be from a hose that connects via a bolt into the bottom of the Fan encolsure (photo looking from back of the car on the RHS of a LHD model).

The bolt is tight so the leak must be coming down the hose somehow. Question is what does this hose do and is it a big deal to fix. Would it just need the whole hose/bolt replacement or am I looking at my first big bill coming my way !. I guess second question is if the hose fixing does need replacement how easy is it to find the part for it (EU).

TIA

Hello Martin,

From your picture it appear that the leakage is from threaded fitting ....
For check is is the flexible part to have leakage is sufficient to touch with the hands this part, if is oiled is the flexible hose ....

However if leakage is little like your picture, there are no problem for the engine, is sufficient to occasionally check the oil level in the tank.

As per following picture, that pipe is the "flexible from engine to radiator", in this pipe it pass the oil from the engine, under crankase, to the cooling radiator before to go in the oil tank..

Radiator and pipe fitting are in alluminium, the sealing is obtained without gasket (like the hydraulic fittings), when all is new at the first tightening the male fitting and female cones fitting finding their setting and the sealing is on.
Sometimes, after dismantling, at reassembly the fitting not have perfect sealing also if you tightening more ...
If is the fitting to have leakage you can try to untighten a little bit the nut and move back and forth the alluminium pipe in order to permoit to the two parts to find a new setting point....
Another solution is to remove fitting and put sealing paste, but is the last beach .....

Obviously there another solution.... replace with a new pipe, but not all times is final solution because the female cone fitting, in the radiator, is already warped by the first pipe .... ...

Best Regards

Last edited by Fiammenghi Engineering; 09-15-2016 at 05:30 AM.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-15-2016, 05:31 AM
Sponsor
Sponsor

Martin,

sorry... before i lost to attach the picture ...
Attached Images

post #4 of 6 Old 09-15-2016, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Hi,

Thank you for the quick reply. Also contacted Ferrari Barcelona who confirmed the same. She is due the 70k service in 3000km time so as its only a minor leak at the moment I will just monitor it and then have it looked at during the service. I am likely to drive it to Italy for the service as I had planned a trip anyway next summer. Where are you located in Italy ? Had planned Maranallo maybe which I just did this year already .

Thanks again
Martin
post #5 of 6 Old 09-15-2016, 06:11 AM
Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedizippy View Post
Hi,

Thank you for the quick reply. Also contacted Ferrari Barcelona who confirmed the same. She is due the 70k service in 3000km time so as its only a minor leak at the moment I will just monitor it and then have it looked at during the service. I am likely to drive it to Italy for the service as I had planned a trip anyway next summer. Where are you located in Italy ? Had planned Maranallo maybe which I just did this year already .

Thanks again
Martin
Hi Martin,
i live in Cesena and i have my mechanical workshop near Ravenna, two cities not so far to Maranello, approx 100 km ...

Best Regards
Fabio
post #6 of 6 Old 09-21-2016, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

Hi Fabio,

OK I will let you know next year if I make up the trip to italy and maybe we can get the 70k service done and have a look at the hose issue same time.

Thanks for your input

Regards
Martin

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode