Ferrari Life

Ferrari Life (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/)
-   Ferrari Discussion (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/ferrari-discussion/)
-   -   Sticky icky (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/ferrari-discussion/50194-sticky-icky.html)

mdg1775 11-23-2015 04:26 PM

Sticky icky

My search function is working and I did a search for @sticky. While it turned up dozens of results, and I read them (as many as I could), it does not explain why my Steering Wheel Housing, Overhead Light Assembly, and other areas are sticky? Seems as I go back through the history it has been an ongoing problem. How does it happen and I wonder why Ferrari has not addressed it?

dave rocks 11-24-2015 05:49 AM

Hi Michael,

Ferrari used a soft touch coating for black interior parts. The coating they used, over time via heat and chemicals breaks down and fails and becomes sticky. My 2008 Maserati GT is starting to fail now. It's not bad but it is getting tacky. I'm going to refinish the parts this winter or next.

See this thread: http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/pr...finishing.html

I have a business providing refinishing of these parts. Please feel free to contact me or click the link in my signature to view out website.

My friends 2013 458 does not have this problem but it might be because the car is just not old enough yet.

mdg1775 11-24-2015 04:21 PM

Thanks for the link

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave rocks (Post 672618)
Hi Michael,

Ferrari used a soft touch coating for black interior parts. The coating they used, over time via heat and chemicals breaks down and fails and becomes sticky. My 2008 Maserati GT is starting to fail now. It's not bad but it is getting tacky. I'm going to refinish the parts this winter or next.

See this thread: http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/pr...finishing.html

I have a business providing refinishing of these parts. Please feel free to contact me or click the link in my signature to view out website.

My friends 2013 458 does not have this problem but it might be because the car is just not old enough yet.

@dave rocks, I plan to take you up on it in a few months. Some parts are just a bit tacky, while others are downright sticky. I will shoot for just before the early thaw to start working on getting it fixed so I don't have to deal with downtime once the weather gets nice.

Cheers!

Mike

dave rocks 11-24-2015 05:10 PM

Thank you, Mike. We will make your parts perfect - I promise! PS, I have a soft spot for Nero cars :)

mdg1775 11-25-2015 05:19 PM

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave rocks (Post 672690)
Thank you, Mike. We will make your parts perfect - I promise! PS, I have a soft spot for Nero cars :)

Glad you like the Neros. I am a fan too. I almost purchased a bianco with tan hides, but the Nero really caught me. Now, I am trying to get used to it. :-)

Mike

456M GTA 12-02-2015 06:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have a 2000 456M GTA which had sticky knobs etc (anything black). I went onto youtube and found many videos offering homemade solutions with boats, many exotic cars, etc with sticky knobs. One video promoted using tar and bug remover ($3.95) along with rags. I thought, why not. So I tried the area around the steering column and was pleasantly surprised that after a little elbow grease and a many rags, the sticky solution was removed. I next attacked the steering column height adjustment handle under the steering column. Worked great again. I worked my way around the car, radio knobs, all accessory switches, ashtray cover, shifter platform, all were cleaned like new. The key thing is to use small rags. I cut an old cotton towel into 5" x 5" squares. Once you apply the bug and tar sprayer onto the rag or the item you have to keep using the clean part of the rag to pull off the remaining sticky stuff. You'll go through many little rags. The one issue I had were the round air vent controls. They can be popped off and cleaned at your work bench. However, the white arrows disappeared as I pulled off the sticky stuff. The photo below shows the air vent on the left was cleaned and now missing the arrow. The other vents were not as sticky so i left them alone. The disappearing white lettering or arrows did not occur on any other switch or knob. I was very pleased with the final outcome as I don't have black stuff on my clothes fingers, hands anymore when in my Ferrari.

dave rocks 12-02-2015 06:52 PM

Well, your HVAC overlay is bubbling so that should be repaired. Removing the sticky coating is only half the battle. The bare plastic does not look nearly as good as parts that are professionally refinished with the appropriate coating.

And, as you pointed out, graphics are usually gone. Many guys have done a nice job with DIY refinishing and I started the same way. But, a rattle can and products offered for rattle cans just don't compare to professional products sprayed thru proper equipment.