Look forward or back? - Ferrari Life
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Killer58

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-07-2015, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 41
Look forward or back?

After a year or two of setbacks I'm STILL holding off getting my long awated Ferrari. I do a lot of window shopping and was wondering; With the assumption that the 'next' Ferrari out is a step forward from the previous model, is there any point in looking at buying the older models (unless you simply love it of course) For example, I'm looking at a second hand car. I've driven an F430 and loved it! Is there any point looking at a 360 (which are so cheap now!) ? Would I be a little underwhelmed or just as thrilled by it?
Just to mix it up even more; the 458 is getting cheaper all the time and could be an option for me. Does driving that push the F430 out of the picture?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-07-2015, 09:59 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,317
We actually liked the 360 much better than the 430. Yes, the 430 is much better on paper, but the 360 is perfect in my book. It just keeps getting better with each drive. And my second Ferrari will also be a used "older" model. So I say don't discount any model, get the one that speaks to you.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-07-2015, 12:11 PM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
...So I say don't discount any model, get the one that speaks to you.
Great advice!

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**

post #4 of 7 Old 11-07-2015, 01:46 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 100
One of the best reasons to be considering the 360 is the availability of manual transmission cars at little to no premium. On F430, MT cars draw a substantial premium, due to rarity of MT models. I also feel the F430 was one of the first Ferraris designed to take advantage of the floppy paddles.

Having a modern Ferrari with MT is definitely something to consider.

Also, with 458 now becoming a "used" Ferrari, both the 360 and F430 will be competing for buyers with the vastly superior and better looking 458. Overall, Ferrari made lots of their modern V8-based cars; so, depreciation is expected for years to come, with the exception of the 360CS, F430 Scuderia, F430 MT, and 458 Speciale.

Good luck.

Current: 2007 612 F1 HGTS
Previous: 1987 328 GTSi, 1983 512 BBi Boxer
post #5 of 7 Old 11-07-2015, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
We actually liked the 360 much better than the 430. Yes, the 430 is much better on paper, but the 360 is perfect in my book. It just keeps getting better with each drive. And my second Ferrari will also be a used "older" model. So I say don't discount any model, get the one that speaks to you.
can you explain what is perfect about it for you? what about it do you find better than the F430?

i have never driven or even sat in a 360, so id be interested in your direct comparison of the two.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-07-2015, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by southnc View Post
One of the best reasons to be considering the 360 is the availability of manual transmission cars at little to no premium. On F430, MT cars draw a substantial premium, due to rarity of MT models. I also feel the F430 was one of the first Ferraris designed to take advantage of the floppy paddles.

Having a modern Ferrari with MT is definitely something to consider.

Also, with 458 now becoming a "used" Ferrari, both the 360 and F430 will be competing for buyers with the vastly superior and better looking 458. Overall, Ferrari made lots of their modern V8-based cars; so, depreciation is expected for years to come, with the exception of the 360CS, F430 Scuderia, F430 MT, and 458 Speciale.

Good luck.
a Manual gear box is certainly one of my top priorities as its one of the things that i loved when i saw a Ferrari for the first time. it does seriously limit my search though.

Last edited by Kanati; 11-07-2015 at 03:02 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-07-2015, 04:06 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanati View Post
can you explain what is perfect about it for you?.
On the outside, we like the more rounded (softer?) curves. The intakes aren't quite as angular. The interior has many of the same design elements of the 456, another care we very much like.

We drove a 430 in Modena and while the paddle shifters were nice and very responsive, we didn't feel as connected as with a stick.

In the end, the 430 was more "lambo" like, and the 360 was exactly what our expectation of a Ferrari was.

And once we drove it, well, that's when it just spoke to us. I knew from the first few miles, that was the car for us. Five years on, it just keeps getting better.
Kanati likes this.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode