Pirelli Tires - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-12-2015, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 862
Pirelli Tires

I guess Pirelli isnt making 235 45 17 s or 245 45 17 s in the PZERO ROSSO...So I found some on Amazon and on another online tire shop,,and bought 2 sets of each . With that being said,,along with the tires I have on the car now, which are at about 50 %, I should be good for at least 10 Years...After that, Im not sure what I will go with,,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-13-2015, 12:44 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
I wouldn't keep performance tyres on my F for 10 years. Rubber hardens and loses its gripping capabilities. It really is not good to use old tyres. You can use used ones, but don't use old ones. My level of comfort seriously drops if they are older than 6 years.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #3 of 9 Old 10-13-2015, 08:14 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,004
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
I wouldn't keep performance tyres on my F for 10 years. Rubber hardens and loses its gripping capabilities. It really is not good to use old tyres. You can use used ones, but don't use old ones. My level of comfort seriously drops if they are older than 6 years. Onno
Lucca, Onno is absolutely correct. I've just re-tired my Cadillac STS-V, with just over 22,000 miles and plenty of tread because the old tires were seven years old.

Seth
575M F1, Maserati Spyder, Cadillac STS-V & CTS
past: 330/365GTC speciale, F355b, 412GT, 400iA, 308GT4 2+2, 330GT 2+2, Porsche 356b Super 90, BMW 1800ti

what do I know? I drive blue Ferraris

post #4 of 9 Old 10-13-2015, 09:14 AM
Owner

And just to clarify - I know of people who have crashed because they had very old tyres and had too much faith in them, because they had plenty of tread left.

Also important if you live in colder countries: if your tyres are older, they will be rock hard on cold asphalt. You can have cold asphalt at +10 deg C, in the sunshine. It is very deceptive - as winter is approaching in the Northern Hemisphere, exercise caution. If you have the TPMS system on your modern Ferrari, it is also helpful to have a look at your tyre temps and pressures.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

330GTC
post #5 of 9 Old 10-13-2015, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 862
I understand what you guys mean...I meant that the three sets I have .. should be enough to cover a 10-12 year span, Thx, Brett PS...Southern California is warm ., all year long,,,lol I dont think storing the tires where its always warm would allow them to get to the point were they would turn bad..Ive done the same thing with motorcycle tires,, and never had any issues...and you guys know how I ride,...lol Thank s

Last edited by lucca brazzi; 10-13-2015 at 04:31 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-14-2015, 01:06 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucca brazzi View Post
I meant that the three sets I have .. should be enough to cover a 10-12 year span,
That still means that if they are brand new now, your second set will be 4 years old when you put it on, and your 3rd set will be 8 years old when you put it on. Rubber deteriorates, whether it is on a car or on a shelf.

And, related to this: always check the date stamp! There are lots of people who sell you very old but unused tyres for new prices. They seriously affect your road handling.

Onno

330GTC
post #7 of 9 Old 10-19-2015, 06:48 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 162
Quote:
...Southern California is warm ., all year long,,,lol I dont think storing the tires where its always warm would allow them to get to the point were they would turn bad..
When I bought my 308, it was wearing lightly worn 10 year old California tires. Holey Crap they were scary at the limit. As everyone has said, it is the age that does tires in.

1983 308 GTS Quattrovalvole
post #8 of 9 Old 10-19-2015, 12:36 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 212
Ozone, UV, heat, time continuously attack tires... and other elements... they are ever present and difficult to escape under normal circumstances... manufactures "seal" tires after manufacture, but this coating deteriorates quickly... the ingredients in a tire "evaporate" ( to over simplify / dry out )... as tires dry, the compounds become brittle as evidenced by small cracks on the surface and at he base of the thread blocks. While the rubber keeps air in the tire and provides a wear / traction surface, it does provide some strength to hold the entire structure together. The small cracks are only early indicators to further issues and they can be the gateway to further intrusion of destructive elements weakening the tire. An old tire, on a collector car, slowly driven around the block occasionally shouldn't pose any real issues. An old ( out of date ) tire driven aggressively exposes one to catastrophic failure and potential liability. As has been noted, all tires have a date code. An insurance adjuster or accident investigator could point to out of date tires as contributing to an incident and be used as a basis of disallowing a claim. It's something to consider, especially in a catastrophic event where everyone is trying to point fingers while looking for deep pockets.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-02-2015, 09:11 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
Pirelli tires

Nice to know.... but i got mine from LA Global Parts .... still cannot believe how low the price was!! almost 70%off...unbelievable...They were selling it as "used"...but BARELY had scratches..

this is their site, in case you would like to check them out.
Used Auto Parts Store | OEM Mercedes, BMW, Maserati, Ferrari | LA Global Parts.

Quote:
I guess Pirelli isnt making 235 45 17 s or 245 45 17 s in the PZERO ROSSO...So I found some on Amazon and on another online tire shop,,and bought 2 sets of each . With that being said,,along with the tires I have on the car now, which are at about 50 %, I should be good for at least 10 Years...After that, Im not sure what I will go with,,

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode