Saying goodbye to my Ferrari experience! - Ferrari Life
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 10-05-2015, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 11
Saying goodbye to my Ferrari experience!

I can appreciate anyone who hopes to be able to own their own Ferrari, as I personally lusted over them for many years! Here is my story of being patient in the search, the ecstasy of being an owner, and my angst over the need to finally part ways!!

The art form of the Ferrari was something that I had admired beginning in my teens. In 2007 Ferrari celebrated 60 years, as did I. In the preceding months I postured myself to pull the trigger - all the while wondering if I really could/would. A major factor for me was that I'd been diagnosed with a form of Muscular Dystrophy that I'd been battling for several years. Realizing that nothing in life is guaranteed, and that my my body was not likely to see improvement in the coming years, I decided that it was OK to allow myself to trade a little bit of the future for a little bit of living for the moment. In my case, I robbed the retirement fund to fulfill the dream by selling one of several rental properties! AND... I have no regrets!

My prior Ferrari experience was zero. With my mobility issues, I decided that I would head down to the local Ferrari store & if I could get my sorry butt down into one and back out again, I was gonna do it! Of course it had to be an F1 because my left side is weak & there was no way for me to operate a clutch.*

Originally I thought that my price point would restrict me to a 355, but I wasn't really that keen on the early F1 gearbox. No reason why; I just figured that the 360 was probably new & improved. And man did I love the sleekness of the 360! My requirements were that the only color for me was Rosso Corsa with the tan interior. Anything other than a red Ferrari was just a bit less exciting. And a black interior was an absolute deal breaker! Tubi or Capristo exhaust was a big plus factor, as were Challenge grills, shields, and hopefully something other than the factory standard wheels (which I was never crazy about!). Seeking a car with less than 20K miles & armed with a budget of $80 - $100K, Thus began the search.

They had a wonderful example in the showroom at the local dealer, but it was $125K and apparently without a lot of wiggle room. Anyway, the internet can be your friend when you're in the hunt. I found one online at an out of state Ferrari dealer for $110K, a bit north of my desired price point. When I inquired, they told me that it had just been sold. But a few days later they called me back & said that the guy returned it - something about the wife bringing down the hammer. I don't know... It sounded a little fishy to me. Fortunately, they had records & I was able to track down the mechanic, Andy Falbo, who had done the recent service for the previous owner. Anyway, we made a deal & after a PPI, I had the car shipped to CO, never having seen it.

It was Colorado & it was October when the transport arrived. I knew that my driving opportunities were going to be minimal until the following spring. Thankfully she sat in my heated garage tethered to the trickle charger throughout the winter months.

There were a couple of minor cosmetic issues noted when I got my first good look. A slight dent in the rear challenge grille & a couple of wheels suffering from curb rash. I was so excited that it just wasn’t a big deal! When I first got her out in the warm weather, I felt that the AC wasn’t cooling as it should. Searching in this forum I found that these cars can crank out the icy air along with the best! Anyway, it was time for my 1st visit to the local dealer, and time for an oil change… just so that I knew for myself that all was fresh before I started accumulating any miles.*

When setting up the appointment with the dealer, I inquired about the cost for an oil change. When told that it would be around $1,200.00, I said “No, you don’t understand; I just want the oil changed.” Dealer: “Hrumph! We almost never do just an oil change; there is much more to it than that!” Me: “Look, I’m not a rock star; nor am I a professional athlete. Just an average guy who is trying to live his dream.” Anyway, I managed to get the icy cold AC restored and an oil change for under $800.

Hey, I knew that you don’t worry about fuel economy or repair costs if you want to own a Ferrari. But after that exchange, the dealer lost a bit of credibility. I kind of felt that their primary interest was to see how deep they could get into my wallet!

While the operation of an Italian exotic is not quite a year round possibility on the highways of Colorado, each time that I was able to drop down into the cockpit was an*exhilarating experience! And CO provided me with my one and only touring experience in the 360. The mountains and the*straightaways between Denver and Durango offer an amazing road experience for any enthusiast! That roundtrip added about 750 miles to the*odometer, all in one chunk. But, oh what an experience!

Over the next couple of years, the prospects of my increasing weakness became a reality and I decided to retire and say goodbye to the snow & cold of CO winters. A single level home in Phoenix seemed to be our destiny. One would guess that might have been a good time to part ways from my prancing pony. One would have guessed wrong! What better place to enjoy the benefits of Ferrari ownership than the Valley of the Sun!

One of the benefits of relocating to PHX was the opportunity to re-boot the care & maintenance of my 360 with Andy Falbo at Ferrari Motor Service. I had become acquainted with Andy thru our original introduction while I was in the pre purchase, due diligence phase of my 2007 search/purchase.

Before the AZ move, Andy had become my go-to guy for telephone tech support. He was so gracious, and obviously possessed a wealth of knowledge. Prior to my first visit to the FMS shop in Fountain Hills back in ‘08, I was unaware of Andy’s credentials. The first thing that I noticed was the vintage Indy type race car with its Andy Falbo lettering. Who knew that he had been a race car driver? Talk about standing in the ultimate man cave!

Anyway, I ultimately learned that Andy was a Fiat/Ferrari test driver, a Ferrari factory trained mechanic, and formerly the chief mechanic on the Ferrari Challenge team in North America.

Upon our move to AZ in January of 2011, I had my F360 transported directly to FMS in Fountain Hills for routine service. I’m sure there are other good and trustworthy Ferrari mechanics out there, but Andy’s demeanor and character had spoken volumes to me, and I became a loyal customer and fan!

I always knew that the end of my hands-on Ferrari love affair was one day going to end out of necessity. Late 2013 & into 2014 is when I finally started to entertain the idea of selling the Ferrari in favor of something that was a bit easier to extricate myself from. However, I still experienced that feeling of total joy whenever I was behind the wheel! So this has been an evolutionary process for me! It wasn’t until this Spring ’15 that I finally made the decision. I got her polished up and ready to show. With 26,230 miles on the odometer (about 8,400 of them that I can take credit for) I drove to a local park and took some beautiful photos. However, there I was, enjoying the ride and falling in love again! When I got back into my garage, I felt that I sorta, kinda bounced out of the drivers seat... and, heck, I could postpone this for a tad longer.

Well, I have lasted for another 6 months. But the reality of the situation has finally caught up to me as I found myself more frequently avoiding my beloved Ferrari because of my physical challenges. She still looks mighty awesome sitting in my garage, But I really need to find something a lot more accommodating for a senior citizen having some strength & mobility issues. Off she went to Fountain Hills and our old friend Andy for a little spritzing before she goes on the block. Oh my gosh! I do love that ride across town!

I have enjoyed the sights, sounds, and pleasures of Ferrari ownership, but now its time to move on!

I hope you all will enjoy this brief video slideshow presentation...

Regards to All!

Mark
DogZy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 10-05-2015, 06:15 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
So sorry to hear of your physical problems. They are cars that demand a certain fitness, there is no doubt about that. At 45 and reasonably fit, I cannot find an elegant way to get out of my 458...

It's nice to read the passion that made you jump on board for a while though, and there is more to life than a Ferrari. Cherish the memories and I hope the future looks bright for you.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
finehomes likes this.

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #3 of 29 Old 10-05-2015, 11:39 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,199
Mark, a very poignant story, thanks for sharing.

At 65, my knees and calves aren't what they used to be for the clutch in my 550, but I take heart because a great friend of mine is turning 82 in a few weeks and drives a 550 as well, and just laughs at my moaning
finehomes likes this.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member

post #4 of 29 Old 10-05-2015, 11:54 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,323
How about a 456, no shifting, no clutch, and easy access?
And 50% more cylinders!
finehomes likes this.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #5 of 29 Old 10-06-2015, 04:44 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
How about a 456, no shifting, no clutch, and easy access?
And 50% more cylinders!
You're talking of the GTA then.

Any of the V12's with F1 would also work.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
finehomes likes this.

330GTC
post #6 of 29 Old 10-06-2015, 05:04 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,004
Garage
Mark, it's not over! Once you've sold that 430, check out any number of Ferrari models that you will be comfortable in, entering and leaving. Maranello, 456, in fact any of the 2+2's. Two years ago I sold my F355 berlinetta for much the same reasons. But I'm entirely comfortable entering and driving my 575M Maranello, even on track at Lime Rock and Watkins Glen, and in three months I'll celebrate my 85th birthday. That's my tummy and me in the 575M on a rally over Adirondack mountain roads to Lake George.

Don't you dare quit Ferrari!
Attached Images

finehomes, DogZy and BladeMD like this.

Seth
575M F1, Maserati Spyder, Cadillac STS-V & CTS
past: 330/365GTC speciale, F355b, 412GT, 400iA, 308GT4 2+2, 330GT 2+2, Porsche 356b Super 90, BMW 1800ti

what do I know? I drive blue Ferraris
post #7 of 29 Old 10-06-2015, 08:10 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 108
post #8 of 29 Old 10-06-2015, 10:01 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 212
for comparison purposes only...

Porsche 991 from an operating expense makes some very strong points...

first maintenance is at 10,000 miles for an oil change, quoted at $200.00

next interval is at 20,000 miles, where actual inspection / adjustment occurs along with another oil change quoted at +/- $1000

I ordered one ( 500hp na / very special order) instead of waiting for a 458 / 488. It has been great for the better part of this year. Although it may NOT be Ferrari, it comes on very strong in the enjoyment department. There have not been any issues of any kind. The PDK ( DCT) is fantastic ( first experience as owner, I still have a couple of 3 pedal F cars for when I feel nostalgic)

It would be nice if the F cars could offer similar clean experiences ( lots of stories about less than favorable new car experiences, expenses and issues ) it's NOT a Ferrari nor will it be,
yet ownership and enjoyment of the "econobox" validates the choice.
finehomes likes this.
post #9 of 29 Old 10-06-2015, 10:55 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 642
You were very lucky/smart to find Andy Falbo; he is THE MAN.
finehomes likes this.
post #10 of 29 Old 10-06-2015, 06:38 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 355
Garage
Thanks for sharing your story. I am getting geeked hearing you guys who are in your late 70's and 80's still driving your Ferrari's! That is awesome.
Heck I feel old heading for 50 but I have always been young at heart. You guys give me hope.

Heck the ideas here are good too. Whether you go with another Ferrari or swap it out for a German Autobahn burner either way you can still have a good time if you can drive one at all (considering your health issues).

Either way you lived your dream. Well done sir!
MB
finehomes likes this.

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right." - Abraham Lincoln
post #11 of 29 Old 10-06-2015, 07:07 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 738
Dear Mark,

Sorry to hear the sad part of your story, on the other hand the good part of the story is you had your Ferrari and will always have the memories of those good times.

Will be 80 at Christmas and the attached shot is two months ago at the Corkscrew with a heavy clutch, 5 speed non-synchro box, drum brakes and skinny tires and a very memorable two hours on track at Laguna Seca. You bet it is a keeper memory.

Best regards,
Attached Images

finehomes and BladeMD like this.

Robert

Past: 500 Mondial S2 0556(0446)/MD owned 58 years from June 1960 to August 2018
post #12 of 29 Old 10-06-2015, 11:05 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
You're talking of the GTA then.

Any of the V12's with F1 would also work.

Onno
Yes, Onno, I should have said GTA, or better yet, the M GTA.
I mentioned that one in particular because you don't even have to paddle shift. A lovely GT cruiser, we're still struggling between that and a Maserati QP for our next car. And speaking of QP, there's another example for Mark!
finehomes likes this.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #13 of 29 Old 10-07-2015, 01:35 AM
Owner

Quote:
I mentioned that one in particular because you don't even have to paddle shift.
You don't have to do that in any F1 or DCT car either, David. One of my pet hates in the 458 is that it always starts in AUTO. Which would be ideal for the TS.

Onno

finehomes likes this.

330GTC
post #14 of 29 Old 10-07-2015, 04:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,501
Mark, fantastic story - thanks for sharing. Good luck in whatever comes next - with your attitude to life, I am sure you will take it in your stride.

Quote:
we're still struggling between that and a Maserati QP for our next car.
Dave, I would recommend a Granturismo - more rear seat-room than the 456 (my daughter, 18 and 5'9", was quite comfortable in the back of ours for 1,000 miles across Italy and France) and more style than the QP.

Come to think of it, Mark, maybe a Granturismo would suit you, too - excellent autobox, very comfortable, oozes style and, boy, what a lovely exhaust note when you hit the sport button!!
finehomes likes this.

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
post #15 of 29 Old 10-07-2015, 07:01 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 100
Great story - best of luck to you in whatever you choose to do.
finehomes likes this.

Current: 2007 612 F1 HGTS
Previous: 1987 328 GTSi, 1983 512 BBi Boxer
post #16 of 29 Old 10-07-2015, 01:11 PM
Owner

Great suggestion, John. The Maser's are awesome.

Onno

finehomes likes this.

330GTC
post #17 of 29 Old 10-07-2015, 02:03 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Goodwrench View Post
Dear Mark,

Sorry to hear the sad part of your story, on the other hand the good part of the story is you had your Ferrari and will always have the memories of those good times.

Will be 80 at Christmas and the attached shot is two months ago at the Corkscrew with a heavy clutch, 5 speed non-synchro box, drum brakes and skinny tires and a very memorable two hours on track at Laguna Seca. You bet it is a keeper memory.

Best regards,

Thats just too cool !!!!! LOVE the color

May I be first to say Happy 80th !!!

Tim
finehomes likes this.

94 F348 Challenge
95 F355 Challenge x 2
97 F355 Spider
post #18 of 29 Old 10-07-2015, 02:05 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by finehomes View Post
I can appreciate anyone who hopes to be able to own their own Ferrari, as I personally lusted over them for many years! Here is my story of being patient in the search, the ecstasy of being an owner, and my angst over the need to finally part ways!!

Mark
Dont give up more then 1 way to skin a cat

I have broken most every bone in my body and yeah it hurts but always find a way for some fun.

Like the song goes

You can't always get what you want but you get what you need

finehomes likes this.

94 F348 Challenge
95 F355 Challenge x 2
97 F355 Spider
post #19 of 29 Old 10-07-2015, 09:54 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 404
Mark you are inspiring!

Mark, sometimes life throws you a curve ball and some are better with dealing with it than others. You are good at it. Though I"m healthy, I was also concerned about being able to get in/out and having the reflexes to handle the Ferrari legend.
This is one of the very few threads I will remember for a long time.
finehomes likes this.

2006 Ferrari F430 Coupé,
post #20 of 29 Old 10-09-2015, 06:46 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 51
Mark,

Your story is very touching, Thank you for sharing.
You made it, it's a good example.. it's never too late!
I salute you, You experienced and enjoyed your one Ferrari more than
some of us who have more than one Ferrari.

Wish you the best,

Muftah
finehomes likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode