No more ovearheating but smoke coming out now... - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 11-15-2005, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 103
No more ovearheating but smoke coming out now...

I spent the week-end fixing my 308 QV overheating problem: Changed the expansion tank cap and the thermostat and bled the system(at the radiator and at the thermostat housing).

Now, I have some white smoke coming out of the engine compartment (at the front of the engine, behind the cabin).

Did I dammage something while running the engine to bleed the cooling system?

I can't see exactly where the smoke is coming from, the area being inaccessible to me, but it seems to be smelling a little "oily".

Any suggestion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-15-2005, 02:39 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
Two things pop into my mind. One is that there is just a leak in the system somewhere, mis-aligned clamp or hose. The other is that now that the system pressure is higher than before due to a new cap and the coolant has found the next available outlet. As long as the white smoke isn't coming out of the tail pipes your probably okay. Just let things cool off and do a very thorough search for the source of the leak. Perhaps use one of those little mirrors onin a stick to poke around the front of the motor. White smoke would suggest coolant directly on the exhaust manifolds or similar....so look directly above there. A stupid question....did you put the thermostats in the correct way...not backwards? I don't mean to sound insulting...just tossing out some questions. Please check again and let us know your status.....
post #3 of 8 Old 11-15-2005, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Believe me, at my level nothing is insulting and I appreciate you thinking of all the possibilities. However, I did put the thermostat back the right way, or so I think (Flat round plastic thingy with the spring towards the water pump)!

I'll check for a leak and I'll keep you posted.

post #4 of 8 Old 11-15-2005, 05:16 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
Is it possible that your burning away some coolant that may have collected in a "hot spot" from all the work you did? Or it still could be a leak as it doesn't take much to generate significant amounts of smoke. With the engine warm check to see if the heater is working....does warm air blow out of the vents with the engine up to operating temps? Feel the hoses to see if any are "hard" or abnormally stiff? It sounds like you put the thermostat in the correct way from your previous post. Do you have a shop manual for your car? Let us know.........
post #5 of 8 Old 11-15-2005, 05:20 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Re: No more ovearheating but smoke coming out now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptiflipiou
I have some white smoke coming out of the engine compartment (at the front of the engine, behind the cabin).

I can't see exactly where the smoke is coming from, the area being inaccessible to me, but it seems to be smelling a little "oily".
Looks like you found the reason your QV is overheating. White smoke is coolant, grey/blue smoke is oil. Like Carguy said as long as its not coming from your tail pipe, your ok.

If you had air in the system and your engine was overheating its because you were losing coolant then air seeped in ! Now its full…and leaking again.

This means your on the right track (to find a leak). Park your car in a dry spot, once your engine has cooled downed take a rag and wipe everything down as much as you can or spray compressed air (PC stores have compressed air cans). Buy a mechanic mirror on a extend a stick (like an electric car antenna) at a local parts store.

Start your car, have a friend monitor your temp gauge once it starts to warm up have that person rev the engine a little, no more than 2000 RPM or 2 on your tach. This will warm your car slowly, now you could go to 3 or 4 on your RPM BUT DON’T, if you have a problem it will warm up too quickly. This will get your entire cooling system starting. What I mean by that is the engine will heat up the coolant, your thermostat will open and cycle the coolant to your rad and so on. At this point, look for a leak by looking for smoke and under your car for a small puddle.

The smell of coolant burning is very particular, so to recognize this, get a few paper napkin (do not use newspaper because ink smells different), put some coolant on them and lite them up. You will notice the smell it gives off. It’s the same when coolant leaks onto a hot engine, it’s the same smell. Oh and by the way, keep that stuff away from dogs if you have any, it doesn’t take much, they go blind licking that stuff (no joke).

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari
post #6 of 8 Old 11-23-2005, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

It would seem that it is actually an small oil leak from the head gasket.

I am trying to see if "STP" leak prevention aditive will help but in cas that it doesn't, could I change the gasket myself? (How hard or easy is it and is it safe for the car if a inexperienced person tries it?)
post #7 of 8 Old 11-24-2005, 02:23 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 205
Hmmm. I wouldn't rush and change the gasket yet. I had a similar problem and thought is was oil leaking from a gasket, but it still end up being coolant weeping onto the gasket area. White smoke IMO means coolant vapourising against hot metal until proven otherwise. Check again

Greg

Current: 365GTC/4 #15709
Previously: 246GTS #07772, 365GT4/BB #17915
post #8 of 8 Old 11-24-2005, 04:22 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Im not sure if I would venture into changing the head gasket if I was you. Its not very hard but does take some time, the proper tools and the specs in order to retighten at the proper pounds. Anyone can take anything apart, its putting it back together and making it work that can sometimes cause problems. Do you homework before you wrench.

If you have a repair manual, want a challenge, not in a rush and have a digital camera to document as you go along…its your decision. I personally wouldn’t put an "STP" leak prevention additive in it. It also plugs areas you don’t want plugged, you might make your over heating problem worst and its designed for old cars you don’t care about.

Like gma365 said, check again.

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode