Hello Everyone, Newbie to the Ferrari Forum - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 11-03-2005, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 16
Hello Everyone, Newbie to the Ferrari Forum

Hello Everyone,
I would like to say "Hello'. I have been a Ferrari enthusiast since 1980, the age of 13 to be exact. I was sitting there with my Dad waiting for a new TV show to air, yes Magnum PI.
When I saw that Ferrari 308 showcased in the beginning of the film I asked, "Dad, what kind of car is that?" My Dad responded with, "Thats a Ferrari I'm sure, and thats not just a 'car' its an Automoblie"
Since then I became a regular watcher of my new show called Ferrari 308!! (aka Magnum PI). Now, 38 years old, I am on my quest to be a proud Driver/Owner of a Ferrari 328 GTS.
Currently, my research has been focusing mostly on the Maintenence aspects of these Machines. This site has educated me alot thus far. I appreciate everyones involvement and advice. Thanks, John.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-03-2005, 08:16 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Hi John! Welcome! Yeah, it was Magnum that did it for me also.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #3 of 10 Old 11-03-2005, 08:46 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 509
Welcome, I cant say much for Maugnum PI ... in 1980 I was -4 years old! :lol:

Enjoy the forum, glad to have you here.

post #4 of 10 Old 11-03-2005, 11:20 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Welcome to Ferrari Forum. I moved your topic here since it is 328 related it should get more responses.

Maintenence of the 328 is fairly easy to do and you can do a lot of the work yourself if you feel comfortable doing this. Are their specifics you are looking for? Labor cost? Parts cost?

We just released a list of all the recalls and I suggest looking at those too when you are looking at a 328. They can be downloaded at:

http://www.ferrariforum.com/recalls/

Hope this helps.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-03-2005, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Maintenence of the 328 is fairly easy to do and you can do a lot of the work yourself if you feel comfortable doing this. Are their specifics you are looking for? Labor cost? Parts cost?
Thanks for the welcoming!
Enzo250GTO, I always try to learn what I can about any purchase I make. This way I know what I'm getting into. I would say that so far I have learned that I will spend approx 50,000 for the Auto, Insurance approx. 1500.00/year (or less). I have an outstanding record, where I live and intent of driving/ownership.
Up-keep is a concern. I get varying service dollar amounts but $3000.00 seems to be the average for a major service. Thats done every 15k miles or so, starting at 30k miles. Minor at 15k.
As far as Do-it-Yourself, DIY, I'm very handy. Always were, thanks to My Dad. So I think I can tackle some of those items.
Having said that, what are a list of specifics that are DIY
I'll start a seperate thread for that question. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your eveyone's hospitality, John
post #6 of 10 Old 11-03-2005, 03:11 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
John,
Although the 328 is by far the most refined of the 3x8 series, if you are being price concious and are willing and able to do most of the work yourself you may want to consider a 308 as an option. I bought mine 3 1/2 years ago for less than $24k (it's worth a fair bit more now), not a perfect car but a good car and I spent $1k getting it to where I wanted it. I put less than 2k miles a year on it and my collector's car insurance is $230/year. In the time I've owned it I've put probably another grand into it for maintenance and repair.

So if all you are looking for is the 3x8 style, save yourself at least 20k and think about a 308. If you are looking for the most refined and driveable Ferrari with that classic Pinanfarina look, the 328 is worth every penny.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #7 of 10 Old 11-03-2005, 06:11 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
If you'd consider a 12 cylinder car, I'm selling my black TR for less than a low-mile-pristine 328?
post #8 of 10 Old 11-03-2005, 09:51 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Oh no, are we about to get into a Magnum PI (308) vs Miami Vice (Testarossa) discussion ? THis could be worse than the Ferrari Lambo scrum.

Per Pete's comments, if you are pretty good with a wrench, an early 308 GTB is going to give you the purest driving experience at the lowest cost. Added bonus is the wonderful sound of the Weber Carbs.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-03-2005, 11:26 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 33
From one newbie to another

WELCOME Easyrider7467,
I am also fairly new to Ferrari forum (4 or 5 months) and the proud owner of a EURO PRODUCTION 1985 308 GTS QV (3 weeks). The info that I was able to gather just from reading posts here was super informative and helpful. By the way, my first encounter with the Ferrari "mystique" was also Magnum PI, then Sonny Crockets Daytona (Miami Vice) and eventualy the TR. Then in the late 80's I got a couple of chances to drive a clients 308, the seed was planted and fertilized! Finally reaching a point in my life where I have the means to accquire such a wonderful piece of functional artwork, I did plenty of research before buying, and it paid off. My advice to you would be: spend a good amount of time reading the tech posts on the 3x8 so that you can determine potential/chronic issues related to year/mileage etc. and you can learn what to look for. Mileage seems to control $$$, but also consider storage enviornment history ( corrosive or hot enviornments seem to do nasty things to Ferrari electical systems and rubber parts etc.) You clearly have a handle on the service history issues.
I also would urge you to look at the 84/85 308 QV over the 328, It is the best expression of the 3x8 ( I believe) and a real thrilling, raw driving experience. You should be able to find a nice low mileage car in great shape for 35 to 40K.
Anyway, Welcome again and good luck in your quest.
CIAO,
LUIGI

1985 308 GTS QV EURO #59149
post #10 of 10 Old 11-04-2005, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Well, my initial intention was a 308 GTS. But I like the changes that were done to the appearance of the 308 hence the 328. However, I'm still looking and considering either model. Leaning twds a 328 though.
Location of the automobile is already crossed my mind. Although, Florida has had some for sale, I have ruled out Fla secondary to the harsh salty air. You might not taste it or smell but its in there. I had a buddy that lived there for 4 years and his car paint when to trash. Very corrosive environment. Considered Arizona, Cali, Kentucky, well any area that the enviroment seems 'safe'. If that makes sense.
As far as milage, I dont mind if the auto has it. I probably would want one with mileage and know thats it been driven. This way its potential inherint issues may have been resolved. (had that exp. with my Harley, couldnt ride it one summer then took the softail out and voila, head gasket leak)
My goal is to have the Automobile by the spring. Right now I'm compiling some questions to post for the future. No 12 cylinders sorry, wont be able to afford that. Though that must sound awesome.
Thanks Everyone!! John.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode