TR rocks on start up, smooths out when warm, raw gas smell - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 10-21-2005, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 6
TR rocks on start up, smooths out when warm, raw gas smell

Well, still loving it, however:

On start up it rocks back and forth (the whole car), idles slow, bringing the revs up to 100-1500 smoooths it out, when it's warm it's smooth as buttah

Also, seems to be a raw gas smell sometimes

And the slow down ligts continue to come on, but I think it may be a thermocouple since they will light the moment the car is started sometimes, when it couldn't be a hot converter.

Should I just drive it a little and see if it self-resolves, It had the 30k service done a year ago, but was only driven 400 miles since, I have added 2000 to that, or should I take it in for a test and tune.

I'm faitly car handy, having has several corvettes and musclecars, I'm wondering what diagnostics I could do to find out if it has a leaky injector, or perhaps just run a can of berryman through it and see what happens, what about checking the plugs?

Thanks,

Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-22-2005, 06:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
The Bosch fuel system on these TRs can be a real bugger at times. There are tons of potential little electrical gremlins that could cause an intermittent problem...very hard to track down. Probably the first thing to do is to unplug/replug all electrical connections in the engine bay and at the fuse panel up front. Don't forget to do the large round connectors under the right side rear fender too. After start up, how long does the motor "rock" before it smoothes out? The cold-start injectors spray at initial start up and for a few seconds thereafter...until the thermo-time switch de-activates them. Perhaps there is a problem with one of them? The raw gas smell stumps me.....is it from the exhaust or could it be a leak somewhere? If you had a leaky injector maybe some fuel could leak into a cylinder or two and then the motor would run rough until things are cleaned out. When you start up the motor....is there smoke out the exhaust? On my TR I replaced all the original steel fuel injectors with new-design brass ones....to avoid any potential corrosion problems in the future. Again I wanna stress that this Bosch Jetronic fuel system is an overly complicated system that has many spots for trouble. Go slow and carefully when poking around on it. Let us know what you find out.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-22-2005, 09:04 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Cars only smell like gas when they are flooded or leaking gas. Engines run very rough when they have too much gas. So when you rev it she burns the excess. Like Carguy said a leaky injector is probably the cause and the first thing I would check after making sure she doesn't leak. Spark plugs get very gummed up and is probably causing the rocking (cant burn it fast enough until you rev it) because its running rough almost like a misfire

Also I would check the oil and see if gas has filtered its way down (excess pressure) if so, change it immediately. Smoke is also a sign… but I would check for a leak first just in case, fires are really bad and can get out of control real quick !

Bosch fuel systems are also very complex and hard to troubleshoot. Let us know if you find anything else.

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari

post #4 of 13 Old 10-24-2005, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

gas cap

raw gas smell=some moron (my brother) lost the gas cap. Anyone know where to get anotehr one, the roughness smooths out after 3-4 minutes, when its cooler outside I'm thinking the fast idle injector kins in and there is no roughness.

Jay
post #5 of 13 Old 10-24-2005, 06:25 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Re: gas cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucaslawfirm
raw gas smell=some moron (my brother) lost the gas cap. Anyone know where to get anotehr one, the roughness smooths out after 3-4 minutes, when its cooler outside I'm thinking the fast idle injector kins in and there is no roughness.

Jay
I have seen cars run like crap just because of a missing gas cap. Something about pressure needed in the tank on some cars.

1990 348 TS (87284)

post #6 of 13 Old 10-24-2005, 07:00 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
Yeah I was told when I got my Honda to make sure the cap is on tight. Something happens if air gets in there while driving.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-24-2005, 10:01 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136

Quote:

Jay
You can order a new one through:

https://parts.ferrari.co.uk/hidden-post.asp
post #8 of 13 Old 10-26-2005, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

gas cap cured ALL issues

Put new cap on, discon. battery overnight, car runs like a bat out of hell again, first and second gear are, well, spectacular!

Jay
post #9 of 13 Old 10-26-2005, 10:09 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Excellent! Congrats! I'm sure you were expecting it to be something much more expensive. How much was the cap anyway?

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #10 of 13 Old 10-26-2005, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

gas cap

75.00 from Ricambi, dealer wanted 106 and the ricamby one is nicer.

Jay
post #11 of 13 Old 10-26-2005, 03:46 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Im glad I was some use to you :lol:

1990 348 TS (87284)

post #12 of 13 Old 02-20-2006, 04:07 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2

Quote:

Jay
Just replace the gas cap, screw it down hard, and drive a few miles. Your rough ride will go away like magic. Pressurized tank.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-20-2006, 04:08 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Re: gas cap cured ALL issues

Quote:
Put new cap on, discon. battery overnight, car runs like a bat out of hell again, first and second gear are, well, spectacular!

Jay
Posted my response before I saw this. Good result.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode