4WD Ferrari's - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 10-20-2005, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,211
4WD Ferrari's

once there were 2 4WD prototypes, the 408 Ferrari's. Now this story will get a tail...

(roughly translated from a dutch website)
Ferrari is starting to develop a 4wd system that will jump into action if it is really needed. It can only be used on cars with the engine on the front. the system will only start to work if the traction is lost on the front wheels. max 20-30 seconds or the system will overheat. Some people say the 612 will be the first car equipped with the system.

Sounds interesting, but don't know about the real benefits. Maybe in extreme conditions like snow, but then the 20-30 second time limit is only usefull when pulling away from 0, and almost nobody uses the car in the snow... on the track it's maybe usefull, but with a lot of corners the 20-30 seconds isn't that much either. And it's not good when you go from 4wd to 2wd when you are on the edge in a corner.

btw, the same website says Ferrari is looking into a SUV because Lamborghini wants to build one based on the chassis of the Cayenne since they are in the same Volkswagen group. I know this has been duscussed before, but wanted to mention the fact Lamborghini is looking into as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-20-2005, 07:25 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Im surprised Ferrari wants to venture into something they know nothing about. Lambo built some amazing machines that make a Hummer look like nothing (as far as power) They were also used in Paris Dakar. They made very few numbers of them. I have the original Road and Track Lamborghini edition magazine it was in 86 I think. Ferrari had a prototype (I saw a video about it) but the engine was not centered into the chassis so it could accommodate the front diff. The Diablo did come in AWD as well as Porsche.

Im surprised they waited this long !

Enjoy the pics :lol:
Attached Images

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari
post #3 of 21 Old 10-20-2005, 09:42 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
I can understand Ferrari putting a 4wd system on the GT 2+2's but I hope they do not try to launch an SUV. The market is starting to move away from SUV's. Getting into it now with a car that is completely outside of the Ferrari "heritage" will be a huge disaster from both a marketing and financial standpoint.

post #4 of 21 Old 10-21-2005, 09:02 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer
I can understand Ferrari putting a 4wd system on the GT 2+2's but I hope they do not try to launch an SUV. The market is starting to move away from SUV's. Getting into it now with a car that is completely outside of the Ferrari "heritage" will be a huge disaster from both a marketing and financial standpoint.
I don´t know about the market moving away from the SUV´s

but I´m sure that a SUV Ferrari would damage the image of the brand
post #5 of 21 Old 10-21-2005, 09:23 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
I'm not thrilled with the idea only because it's a bloated market as it is. And I doubt soccer moms will be shopping for a $200,000 SUV.
post #6 of 21 Old 10-21-2005, 09:28 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 218
I'm sure Ferrari won't ever compromise their heritage with such a machine

Lamborghini on the other hand, has a longer history of building heavy industrial machines (esp. tractors) than road cars, so its not a big deal for them.

Pretty neat tractor I must say! :lol:
post #7 of 21 Old 10-21-2005, 09:58 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botto
Lamborghini on the other hand, has a longer history of building heavy industrial machines (esp. tractors) than road cars, so its not a big deal for them.

Pretty neat tractor I must say! :lol:
Mr. Lamborghini started his business by stealing engines from military trucks and selling them to farmers to replace their old/broken engines in their tractors. This is why he was in the tractor business. He only started building cars because he complained to Enzo Ferrari about him not liking the clutch on his Ferrari that he owned. Mr Ferrari told him if you dont like my cars, build your own...and he did !

1990 348 TS (87284)

post #8 of 21 Old 10-21-2005, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Luca already told us once that he will not start building an suv as long as he's in charge so I won's see that happening, but what are your opinions about the 4wd system?
post #9 of 21 Old 10-21-2005, 12:46 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 509
I agree with the whole SUV thing, that would be a little rediculous. Not only would it stain the ferrari heritage a little, its the opposite of the Ferrari Philosophy. I cant see it going anywhere, legitimately. I also thiknn the market is in decline for SUV's, and that precisely because it is bloated. Saturation is never a good thing and I think the saturation is preceeding the eventual exit of the SUV craze. It always happens, it happened with Mini-Vans a while back. Granted they still grace the world with their presence, but something new and better will come along and I doubt ferrari will be the leader of such a craze.

The 4wd system, on the other hand, could be of some value. It is going to add a ton of weight to the drive train, but I'm sure they have that in mind. As a supplement to the traction/stability control systems I think it could be a nifty idea. We'll see. Hopefully the initial run of cars are'nt plagued with faults, that'll ruin interest and crash the whole project.

We will see.
post #10 of 21 Old 10-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bob
Luca already told us once that he will not start building an suv as long as he's in charge so I won's see that happening, but what are your opinions about the 4wd system?
If it is an AWD drive system it won't bother me at all. It means more traction of the line and therefore better off the line performance. Just look at the Porsche 911's that were AWD.
post #11 of 21 Old 10-21-2005, 08:36 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo250GTO
If it is an AWD drive system it won't bother me at all. It means more traction of the line and therefore better off the line performance. Just look at the Porsche 911's that were AWD.
You dont just build an AWD like a RWD. You have to learn and test how 4x4 works to perfect AWD. Lambo did it with tractors and the LM and Porsche worked on it for years.

Ferrari will takes years to develop an AWD that dosn't blow up doing 300 km. They will have enough to worry about making a V8 that wont blow up at 18-19,000 rpm for F1 that i doubt it will be anytime soon...maybe in 6-8 years or so !

1990 348 TS (87284)

post #12 of 21 Old 10-21-2005, 09:20 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
Well, I've seen the difference in pulling power and the all-wheel drives have a distinct advantage. That's probably the reason the Lamborghini Gallardo is all-wheel drive, the Diablo SVT was, and why Ferrari is showing an interest.
post #13 of 21 Old 10-22-2005, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

a little bit of technical info from autocar.co.uk:

Revealed in this patent drawing (right), the new system is exceptionally compact and simpler than rival 4x4 systems based on a rear-drive layout. A constant velocity joint and oil bath clutch - which sends drive to the front wheels - are encased on the end of the engine block.
Attached Images

post #14 of 21 Old 10-22-2005, 07:44 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 411
Just saw the article too on 'Gek op wielen' :wink:

Don't know really what to think of it... Now 4WD, next step is a diesel or SUV???

post #15 of 21 Old 10-22-2005, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

What is wrong with 4wd? 4wd cars are faster around the track... only problem of this system is the fact it only works for 20-30 seconds
post #16 of 21 Old 10-22-2005, 09:54 AM

It's not a Ferrari tradition

Again, money wins...
post #17 of 21 Old 10-22-2005, 10:10 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 218
That was once said about mid-engine cars
post #18 of 21 Old 10-22-2005, 10:17 AM

You're damn right

post #19 of 21 Old 10-22-2005, 11:46 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botto
That was once said about mid-engine cars
that´s a great argument

period
post #20 of 21 Old 10-24-2005, 04:01 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 509
Id like to see it developed at least. I think if they get the project off the ground it could be great.

I dont think road ferrari's need more than 20-30 seconds of AWD. Realistically very few road cars see consistant track use, and it would otherwise help only in unfavorable weather conditions. Plus ferrari has won many races on RWD cars and a new tool in their arsenal will only increase their odds.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode