Confused first time buyer - Ferrari Life
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 07-27-2005, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member
 
Magnum6464's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Quebexico, Canada
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Confused first time buyer

Just joined the Forum, paid for a membership and need help.

I always dreamed as a kid to have a ride in a Ferrari, and now, old enough to buy one. But I have 2 huge dilemmas, first I have a soft spot for a 74’ Dino 206 GT4 308 and the price is good (aprox 25k US). But not sure about 4 Weber carbs and the fact that its getting up there as far as years. I’m wondering if it would be a good buy for a raw 70’s Ferrari.

My Second dilemma is I have been seriously thinking about an 89’ 328 GTS Red/Tan. In the last year, they have gone up in price here in Canada to about 75k where they were 60K before. As well as the Testarossa’s but they were kinda out of my price range 100k to 130k. But they have almost all gone seriously down in price aprox 75K to 85K and this is making me think twice and got me worrying about my future purchase.

The way I see it is I could buy the GT4 and a few years down the road (2-3) I can pick up the 328 GTS as a second one. Or, I could buy a Testarossa and own the car I had on my bedroom wall as a kid ! But I know nothing about V12’s, reliability, difficult to fix, expensive to fix etc…Now I know im going to get replies from V12 fans and that’s very good but im looking for a non judgmental opinion. I know cars and can do almost everything myself as well as an uncle who owns a big garage and can use the engine bays as I wish no charge and his Snap On tools.

Please help...

P.S. I read the buyers guide but I want more info...

If you read this far, thanks !

--------Ferrari is not just a car, it's a lifestyle--------
Magnum6464 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 42 Old 07-27-2005, 09:39 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
magnum6464, These are 3 very different cars. The 308 GT4 is a great handling car, not the most loved of Ferrari's, could have rust issues, and is a 2+2. If you are a skilled mechanic, it is a car that you can take complete care of yourself. The 328 could be a daily driver, are the most reliable of the 3x8 series and is much more of a modern car. These cars were rust proofed so this should not be a significant issue. The TR is a low, wide high speed cruiser and carries all the associated maintenance costs of a 12 cylinder supercar. From a price POV, the 308 GT4 and 328 should be stable going forward but the TR might drop another 10-15% before hitting bottom. None of the three should have major up or downside. Maintenance will be your largest financial investment.

Given the differences in the 3, drive them all and then go with your heart/gut.

Good luck.
Boxer is offline  
post #3 of 42 Old 07-28-2005, 03:52 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,684
As a previous owner of an 89 328GTS, I strongly recommend that car. All the friends that had owned the Testarossa, cursed the car and their happiest day was when they got rid of it. I'm serious. The best Testa series is the 512M but it would be expensive.
Stradale is offline  
 
post #4 of 42 Old 07-28-2005, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member
 
Magnum6464's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Quebexico, Canada
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Confused first time buyer

Boxer, you said, “not the most loved of Ferrari’s” beside rust issues obviously, and 2+2 would you say it’s a nice Ferrari to own or do you mean, stay away like the plague because of multiple issues, reliability, poor performance, parts almost no longer available due to low purchases when new, weak gearbox or because it was designed by Bertone? I don’t really care about 2+2 but rust, to me its all cars should be in great condition.

I have heard nothing but great things about the 328 and have done my homework on it. But now the Testarossa in now in my price range but know nothing about it and do not know anyone who owns one. Im expecting the financial investment for maintenance and im not worried (it’s the price you pay for dream toys), but my question is, with proper regular maintenance is this car reliable to enjoy as a weekend driver or more?

I just want to know how the cars is, I know cars get their little glitches with age, I can live with that, but I was once told, “Ferrari’s, every 2 years or 5000k you need a new clutch, gearboxes are weak you cant ride them hard, just cruise around town ?!?!?! Also if under 1990 always keep the car revs over 3k or the plugs go every week…. just stuff like that

Stradale, are all Testarossa’s like that ???

Thanks for the reply Boxer, Stradale
Just an Italian newbie that is realizing a lifelong dream…

------Ferrari is not just a car, it’s a lifestyle------
Magnum6464 is offline  
post #5 of 42 Old 07-28-2005, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member
 
Magnum6464's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Quebexico, Canada
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Calling all Testarossa owners and V12 guys !

Has anyone had experiences fixing a Testarossa or know of any common problems.

Please see my above postings

Calling all Testarossa owners and V12 guys !!!






------Ferrari is not just a car, it's a way of life------
Magnum6464 is offline  
post #6 of 42 Old 07-29-2005, 12:09 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Re: Confused first time buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum6464
Boxer, you said, “not the most loved of Ferrari’s” beside rust issues obviously, and 2+2 would you say it’s a nice Ferrari to own or do you mean, stay away like the plague because of multiple issues, reliability, poor performance, parts almost no longer available due to low purchases when new, weak gearbox or because it was designed by Bertone? I don’t really care about 2+2 but rust, to me its all cars should be in great condition.
Not at all, the comment on "not the most loved" refers to the Bertone design. Performance and handling are great. Just find one that is not full of rust and has been well loved.
Boxer is offline  
post #7 of 42 Old 07-29-2005, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member
 
Magnum6464's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Quebexico, Canada
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
89 328 GTS or 88 Testarossa

Thanks Boxer, its exactly what I wanted to hear about the 206 GT4 308, I think its kinda cool looking, also because its different and.....a Ferrari

I hope I hear from current and previous 84-91 Testarossa owners, I really want their opinion.




------I dont sell cars, I sell engines. The cars I throw in for free since something has to hold the engine - Enzo Ferrari------
Magnum6464 is offline  
post #8 of 42 Old 07-29-2005, 02:49 PM
Administrator
Elite Member
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: San Francisco
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Re: 89 328 GTS or 88 Testarossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum6464
Thanks Boxer, its exactly what I wanted to hear about the 206 GT4 308, I think its kinda cool looking, also because its different and.....a Ferrari

I hope I hear from current and previous 84-91 Testarossa owners, I really want their opinion.




------I dont sell cars, I sell engines. The cars I throw in for free since something has to hold the engine - Enzo Ferrari------
Did you take a look at the Testarossa guide as well? I would agree with Stradale. Of the two cars the 328 in my opinion is more desirable. The Testarossa is more raw than the 328 but will cost more in the long-run.
Andrew is offline  
post #9 of 42 Old 07-29-2005, 10:59 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
MHO go with the 328. It will be a much more useable car than the TR. The 328 is also one of the absolute best 1st Ferraris.
Boxer is offline  
post #10 of 42 Old 07-30-2005, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member
 
Magnum6464's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Quebexico, Canada
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
I did read the Testarossa guide...

So what both of you are saying is that even if the TR is more raw, exotic, and the same price as the 328, you would both choose the 328 !!!

Enzo250GTO, you said "will cost more in the long-run" are you saying its a car that needs alot of maintenance or just not reliable ? or do you mean it is a good car but regular maintenance costs are 5 times as much as the 328...

I dont want to be anoying, but I just dont understand, Im not saying I dont want the 328, but what is so wrong about the TR ? I just like to get as many pros and cons about everything I buy when spending a considerable amount of money. I really want the TR but if im given examples as to why I should not buy it I will take everyones opinion seriously. For example, Boxer said the 328 "will be more usable" well I dont know what he means. I will not be taking any of these cars to work, shopping, on a trip or park it aywhere but home, Im not going to leave any Ferrari I decide to buy alone...ever ! But if he means the suspension is fussy about small potholes and will cost 5k to fix because the suspension is fragile, or the clutch just dosen't last just because the way the car was designed.

I really appreciate the time you guys are taking to respond to me !

Stradale, I would really like to know more about you friends TR and what he disliked so much about it.

Im really glad I joined this forum group, I spent that last week reading all the replies from several topics and you guys are all friendly and helpful, Thanks !!!
Magnum6464 is offline  
post #11 of 42 Old 07-31-2005, 02:35 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,684
Re: Confused first time buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum6464
Stradale, are all Testarossa’s like that ???

------Ferrari is not just a car, it’s a lifestyle------
I'm just quoting three friends who had owned the Testarossa.

I can only guess the mechanics and parts cost of the Testarossa in Europe and it would not be wise to start with a bad experience on your first Ferrari. Get a car that easy to maintain and fun to drive as well. Then have the Testarossa as a your second Ferrari later when you can afford 2 Ferraris. A few of our members here own more than one Ferrari.
Stradale is offline  
post #12 of 42 Old 07-31-2005, 06:15 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
jungathart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Manassas, NoVA
Ferrari Life Posts: 566
Re: Confused first time buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale
Get a car that easy to maintain and fun to drive as well. Then have the Testarossa as a your second Ferrari later when you can afford 2 Ferraris.
magnum6464,
I think this is good advice: I plan to resemble this remark by spring! 8)

"Liberals are the pallbearers of societies"

'88.3 Testarossa
'83 Mondial QV (sold!)
jungathart is offline  
post #13 of 42 Old 07-31-2005, 09:08 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum6464
I did read the Testarossa guide...

So what both of you are saying is that even if the TR is more raw, exotic, and the same price as the 328, you would both choose the 328 !!!

For example, Boxer said the 328 "will be more usable" well I dont know what he means. I will not be taking any of these cars to work, shopping, on a trip or park it aywhere but home, Im not going to leave any Ferrari I decide to buy alone...ever ! Thanks !!!
magnum6464, What I ment is that the 328 can be/is more enjoyable in a wider arena of driving envirnoments. If you like the twisty stuff, have to drive in and out of urban areas, and are thinking of taking the car on the track, go with the 328. For high speed Toronto to Vancouver highway motoring, then the TR is the car to go with. A major part of the decision should be based on how you intend to use the car, and which car is most suited for that type of driving.
Boxer is offline  
post #14 of 42 Old 07-31-2005, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member
 
Magnum6464's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Quebexico, Canada
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Boxer, Stradale, Enzo250GTO and Jungathart...

Thanks for all the advide and putting up with all my questions and reading my mile long replies. I will keep the 89 328 GTS first on my list.

One last question, besides the obvious, no records, no books, oil leaks and visible damage...

What should I look for when buying a 328 that the little voice in my head will say run...dont buy this one ! Because dealers are pretty good at hiding major problems when someone like me who knows nothing about Ferrari's walks in to buy one.


------Ferrari is not just a car, it?s a lifestyle------
Magnum6464 is offline  
post #15 of 42 Old 07-31-2005, 10:47 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Definitely have a Prepurchase Inspection (PPI) done by a 3rd party nmechanic who you both trust and who knows his Ferraris.
Boxer is offline  
post #16 of 42 Old 08-01-2005, 04:47 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,684
I agree with Boxer. Spend on that inspection fee and it'll save you a lot of headaches later.
Stradale is offline  
post #17 of 42 Old 08-01-2005, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member
 
Magnum6464's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Quebexico, Canada
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Thanks guys for all the help, I will keep my eyes open and let you know if I find a nice one.
Magnum6464 is offline  
post #18 of 42 Old 08-03-2005, 12:37 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Ferrari Life Posts: 18
Hi, maybe i´m a little bit late, i have a Ferrari Testarossa from 1988 S/N 80511, i have the car since 49 days, and the car is in the workshop, since 42, i have bad luck, i buy the car in germany, and the transport, broke me the clucht and few damages in the body, now i´m waitting to pick up the car from there, for example, for the clucht original, i will spend 4.000E. I only use the car for a day, in Germany, i drive the car for 120km, and i was pretty happy, it´s my first ferrari too, and i´m very happy with it, because the only problem was the transport.... Few month ago i was looking for a 328, and i was going to buy one from 1989 nero/red, and i decide not to buy because i saw a TR, I don´t now why but the testarossa have something special on it, that a 328, or a 348 didn´t have, i´m very happy buying the TR..

Sorry for my english¡¡¡¡

Gaby
GabyTR is offline  
post #19 of 42 Old 08-03-2005, 03:13 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,684
How can the transporter break the Testa's clutch. The clutch must be on it's way out then. The car is heavy and it does put a lot of wear and tear on its clutch.
Stradale is offline  
post #20 of 42 Old 08-03-2005, 05:22 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Ferrari Life Posts: 18
they change the car into another truck, and the driver wasn´t very inteligent, in the first moment he put Reverse and not 1st gear, because he didn´t see the numbers of the gear. The hand brake was putted too.
GabyTR is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale